Apple introduces new iPod nano "phatty" with video and games

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In line with expectations, Apple on Wednesday introduced an all new iPod nano, bringing video playback, an enhanced user interface featuring Cover Flow, and a diminutive new design to the world's most popular music player.

The new iPod nano features a larger two-inch display with 204 pixels per inch, which lets users watch their favorite movies, TV shows and music videos in the same resolution they currently enjoy on the video iPod. iPod nano also includes three fun games, and additional games can be purchased from the online iTunes Store, Apple said.

The new iPod nano delivers up to 24 hours of audio playback or five hours of video playback on a single charge, and is encased in a new all-metal design made with anodized aluminum and polished stainless steel and comes in five new colors -- silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition.

"We've taken the most popular music player in the world and added stunning video playback just in time for the holiday season," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "The iPod nano just keeps getting better and better with each new generation."

The screen on the new iPod nano features a 204 pixel per inch display that is 65 percent brighter than the previous generation and delivers 320x240 resolution that is ideal for watching your favorite movies and TV shows on the go. iPod nano also features an enhanced user interface that shows off album artwork and photos like never before, and now includes Cover Flow, so you can scroll through your entire music collection by album cover artwork using the Click Wheel.

Pre-loaded on each new iPod nano are three games -- iQuiz, the entertainment trivia game; Vortex, a fast-paced 360 degree brick-bashing game; and Klondike, the popular solitaire card game. Additional games will be available for iPod nano later this month from the iTunes Store, including Sudoku and Tetris from Electronic Arts and Ms. PAC-MAN from NAMCO.

Pricing & Availability

Available today, the 4GB iPod nano comes in silver for just $149 (US) and the 8GB model is available in silver, black, blue, green and a (PRODUCT) RED special edition for just $199 (US). Both the 4GB and 8GB iPod nano for Windows or Mac are available worldwide immediately through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. All iPod nano models include earbud headphones, a USB to 30-pin cable and a Universal Dock Connector.

iPod nano requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS X v10.4.8 or later and iTunes 7.4; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) or later and iTunes 7.4. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended, fees may apply. The iTunes Store is not available in all countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    My sweet orange... why?

/Adrian
  • Reply 2 of 43
    It seems that ipod nano won't be able to play the existing games for 5G ipod ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pre-loaded on each new iPod nano are three games -- iQuiz, the entertainment trivia game; Vortex, a fast-paced 360 degree brick-bashing game; and Klondike, the popular solitaire card game. Additional games will be available for iPod nano later this month from the iTunes Store, including Sudoku and Tetris from Electronic Arts and Ms. PAC-MAN from NAMCO.

• Reply 3 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The new nano is really well priced, I'm gonna get my girl one to replace the ailing mini she refused to replace with last gens nano. That way I can use it (since I'm gonna be getting a touch model)!
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Why do they always kill the orange - I love orange - it's like Lego - why are there no orange lego bricks...

It's an Orangist conspiracy
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I like it, but it kind of reminds me of a cracker. I feel like adding some cheese and taking a nibble.

And 'Fatboy nano' suits it best, whoever coined that one.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Seriously sweet. It still looks a bit odd to me, but only because it's different. I can't wait to have a look at one of these in person. Perhaps it's time to replace my mini. Then again, 80/160 GB classic iPod? 16GB Touch? You got to be kidding, right? How are we supposed to choose?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I take back pretty much all complaints... the iPod lineup is godly now, top to bottom.

Even the price points are sexy and aggressive. If I'm Steve Ballmer up in Redmond, I'm throwing some chairs right now.

• Reply 8 of 43
    I'm still gonna call it Fatso...
  • Reply 9 of 43
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Too bad "Fatboy Slim" is already trademarked.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i like this nano a lot. its different and the "phatty" comments are ok, cuz its cute.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Well, personally I wouldn't be caught dead with it. It looks like a Creative Labs reject. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    after all it is NOT that bad, it is OK, acutally the black/silver color rocks!
  • Reply 13 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You know this is an impresive little machine, but with all products announced with this launch it comes with far to little memory. 8 gigs ought to be the base model and each model increasing 8 gigs at a time from there.

Where I think Appple is missing the boat here is thinking of this thing as a just a iTunes player. While they seem to grasp that it has capabilities bbeyond that they don't seem to realize that people will actually make use of these features. The reality is that if you install a game or two, some pictures and a movie you won't have a lot of space left over for the units primary purpose which of course is the storage of and playing of music. I see Apples mistake as delivering a rather capable product that will disappoint people in the long run due mainly to the lack of space for everything they would want to put on the unit.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 43
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/360/

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/index.html

people should check this out and in person, before calling it as Phatty!
  • Reply 15 of 43
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You know this is an impresive little machine, but with all products announced with this launch it comes with far to little memory. 8 gigs ought to be the base model and each model increasing 8 gigs at a time from there.

Where I think Appple is missing the boat here is thinking of this thing as a just a iTunes player. While they seem to grasp that it has capabilities bbeyond that they don't seem to realize that people will actually make use of these features. The reality is that if you install a game or two, some pictures and a movie you won't have a lot of space left over for the units primary purpose which of course is the storage of and playing of music. I see Apples mistake as delivering a rather capable product that will disappoint people in the long run due mainly to the lack of space for everything they would want to put on the unit.

Well, one thing's for sure: the 8GB is gonna be a LOT more popular than the 4GB!

• Reply 16 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

That's just the reality of the tech, at the moment. To keep the Nano small as it is, Apple has to use flash memory. To keep the price points, they have to keep capacity about where it is.

This, of course, will change, and we can expect 16 and 32 GB Nanos when flash drive prices have dropped enough-- certainly by next summer, maybe sooner.

They would do better, IMO, to offer multi touch full screen with an HDD model. An 80GB HDD doesn't cost much more than a 16GB flash drive (might be less, depends on how fast flash memory is falling), so they could offer a much higher capacity iPod Touch for the same money, and just make it a little thicker.

I can just feel Jobs itching to get rid of HDD models altogether, the way he got rid of CRT monitors. You just know those, dirty, dirty moving parts keeps him awake at night.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/360/

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/gallery/index.html

people should check this out and in person, before calling it as Phatty!

I went into today thinking that the Phatty (the iChubby?) was the loser of the batch, and now I'm thinking that its not a bad looking little cracker.

I'm actually now torn between the 8Gig iChub and the 16 Gig Touch.

I seriously doubt that I'd be using much of the video functionality of the touch, so the difference ends up being the wifi connectivity.

Anyone know if the new nano and/or the Touch support recording? I really do need that.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    I still don't like the look of it... it's an odd proportion... but I guess they had no option if they wanted to add that big screen. I almost would have made it a bit taller even if it didn't need the extra internal space... just to make it a more pleasing shape. But whatever.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    I just made a quick comparison to the dimensions on the site, to get an idea of size. The nano is 69.8 x 52.3mm, a credit card/business card is 85 x 54mm, thickness is about the same as an old iPod nano 'skinny' :P .
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

If I'm Steve Ballmer up in Redmond, I'm throwing some chairs right now.