Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 408
    Not everyone has had their phone since launch, and two months for a price drop this dramatic is anger-provoking.

If I were to purchase the iPhone four months into the product cycle and they reduced the price in month six, that's a bit more expected, and one can reasonably assume an upcoming price drop in that type of timeframe.

The recent iPhone purchasers helped troubleshoot the device, tell them what they wanted, so they added it and then dropped the price. Again, I have learned my lesson and will NEVER purchase another 1.0 Apple product anywhere near launch date. I would imagine that others would feel this way, and when Apple launches iPhone 2.0 at a high price, sales may just suffer as people will await a quick price correction.
  • Reply 22 of 408
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

No, you got exactly what you paid for. A fine device (apparently exceptionally fine for a v1.0 product), and 2 months of "ain't I cool" bragging rights.

The real question is, why are you suprised?

I think that everyone expects that prices do eventually drop, but be reasonable.

Does anyone expect a 33% drop in 2 months?

That's a pretty big surprise in my book.
  • Reply 23 of 408
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    The good news is that all the people that have not bought an iPhone yet are much more happy today. Definitely a big motivator for Christmas season.
  • Reply 24 of 408
    I agree with many as respects the price drop in 2 months. While I have all the Apple Products, I will NEVER again buy 1.0 Versions. I do believe Apple did a disservice to many. I am a marketing guy and I understand market corrections but I also understand when you piss off your consumers. Waiting customers cost you money and I will be a "waiter" on Apple products going forward. I was not in a urgent need to buy a phone and Apple got me this time! I accept the criticism from the masses.....
  • Reply 25 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

Not everyone has had their phone since launch, and two months for a price drop this dramatic is anger-provoking.

If I were to purchase the iPhone four months into the product cycle and they reduced the price in month six, that's a bit more expected, and one can reasonably assume an upcoming price drop in that type of timeframe.

The recent iPhone purchasers helped troubleshoot the device, tell them what they wanted, so they added it and then dropped the price. Again, I have learned my lesson and will NEVER purchase another 1.0 Apple product anywhere near launch date. I would imagine that others would feel this way, and when Apple launches iPhone 2.0 at a high price, sales may just suffer as people will await a quick price correction.

I will DEFINATELY be in that category
  • Reply 26 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What will be most interesting will be who hacks the Touch first to get Skype to run on it over Wi-Fi and retrofit a wireless phone earpiece.

Hell, I'll even take one of those crappy old iPod microphones.

(To those who are mad at Apple: 1. You're taking it way too seriously. A $599 iPhone is still an iPhone. 2. Spell definitely right when you're yelling. Please. You all look like idiots when you don't.)
  • Reply 27 of 408
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Wait a second! You "overpaid" for your iPhone? So you're saying you knew it wasn't a good deal when you bought it? I wouldn't call you a "sucker." ... Moron, idiot, loser; these words are more applicable.

ouch!

i would never pay $599 for the iPhone. $399, i might consider. but i'm still not too happy about signing a two year contract with america's worst carrier

what i just don't understand is how they have the nerve of selling it with 8gb when the iPod 'classic' can get 10 times as much storage they should've at least bumped it to 30gb/80gb for the iPod touch and iPhone... \
  • Reply 28 of 408
    What a bunch of damned babies. If you couldn't afford the $600 for the iPhone or it wasn't worth that much to you, then you shouldn't have bought it. I've had one since the Saturday after they went on sale, and I'm not bothered at all by this price decrease. I am actually pleased as punch that you can now buy song from iTMS over the air. I'm less impressed with the 99 cent ringtones, but I suspect there is more than just Apple involved there; at least it's still cheaper than the $3 some carriers charge and you also get to select what 30 second clip of the song to use via an iTunes interface.

At least Apple didn't pull a sleazy Sony move and deny that a price reduction was going to happen two days before they lowered the price.
  • Reply 29 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

early adopters had the pleasure of using the device in the first two+ months. Isn't all of your salivating co-workers and friends worth the $200 price-tag?

Not even close. What a lame motivation.
  • Reply 30 of 408
    Price-correction.

This is a non-issue. (Yes, I bought in on June 29th.)

The "fanboys" will come out in droves I'm sure clamoring for some sort of reimbursement. Please don't.
  • Reply 31 of 408
    I'm also upset about the price drop but I'm more worried that the 4GB model won't be supported in the same way the 8GB models will be - such as with software updates. Anyone have any ideas on this?
  • Reply 32 of 408
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Who is extremely pissed off to find out that he overpaid for the 8GB iPhone by $200 only 2 months after it was released?

That would be me! I want a f*ckin' $200 refund! Punish the early adopters. Gotta love that!

Did they have to do this to maintain interest because they haven't released ANY of the feature enhancements that were expected within a few weeks of launch? I'm a f*ckin' sucker!

Hmm, i'd be pissed too.. of course, i have been ranting and raving how the iphone was overpriced (and have had many arguments online with people about that)..

Yeah, strange how apple manufacturing cost suddenly was reduced by 200 no?.

I was right all along.. apple was gourging

Now after saying all that, i have to praise apple.

They did reduce the price and that is what i wanted. I have been clammoring for them to reduce the price so i have to give them praise for doing just that.. As i stated in a different forum topic.. i can now recommend this phone to people I know.

Good luck with getting that $200 refund. I doubt it will happen (i mean, what if motorola had to refund all the early razr adopters)..

I know this was a quick drop (after only 2 months) but the same principles apply (i would think).. but i understand your feeling.. take a deep breath.. chew a stick of gum.. fume a little and then just chalk it up to being one of the first to get the device.
  • Reply 33 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

ouch!

what i just don't understand is how they have the nerve of selling it with 8gb when the iPod 'classic' can get 10 times as much storage they should've at least bumped it to 30gb/80gb for the iPod touch and iPhone... \

The iPod Classic is hard drive and the iPhones have flash. That's why the disparity in storgage.
  • Reply 34 of 408
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Bitch, bitch bitch.

Do you still like your iPhone or not?

Maybe you guys were just foolish to purchase an iPhone. If $200 dollars is such a huge issue, you probably couldn't afford it in the first place. That product was never designed for a budget conscious consumer. You knew the price was going to drop eventually. If you were smart, you would have waited - but Nooo... you had to have it right now didn't you?
  • Reply 35 of 408
    The 4GB model is now $299 while supplies last.
  • Reply 36 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Bitch, bitch bitch.

Do you still like your iPhone or not?

Maybe you guys were just foolish to purchase an iPhone. If $200 dollars is such a huge issue, you probably couldn't afford it in the first place. That product was never designed for a budget conscious consumer. You knew the price was going to drop eventually. If you were smart, you would have waited - but Nooo... you had to have it right now didn't you?

You're missing the point. This is not typical of Apple. I feel burned by it and have learned a lesson, after today Apple will get far less of my money than they have in the past.
  • Reply 37 of 408
    Notwithstanding the fact that a 33% price drop in a two-month period is draconian, I got exactly what I paid for at $599 (with some added functionality now), so I am not complaining.

That said, I do feel badly for those who could not afford this easily, and probably were able to buy one only because they saved every hard-earned penny. Another category of early adopters is the really well-off who don't like to feel shafted. It makes no sense for Apple to p*$$ off either group.

For these reasons I think that the early adopters are owed some sort of quid pro quo from Apple (e.g., free ringtones).

In any event, I smell a lawsuit coming.......

• Reply 38 of 408
    Well I am pretty pissed off. My $599 phone just dropped in price and the one my boss bought last week (at my urging no less) did too! I look like a total schmuck. Just when I was working on getting the company to buy some MacBooks too! LOL Oh, and my MacBook keeps randomly shutting down this week as well. Aargh! One month out of warranty.

I see the Apple Support Discussions are down. I wonder if it's due to people raging about the price drop too?

Geez it's gonna get ugly I fear.
  • Reply 39 of 408
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    For all the negative comments here.. please look at what other phone makers do.... like Nokia and Moto... exactly.. they do the same... in the phone business prices drop faster than in any other segment.

Of course I would have preferred to pay the $399 price, but I knew I was paying a premium for being one of the first to have an iPhone and didn't care then and shouldn't care now.
  • Reply 40 of 408
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't feel sorry. I've made numerous purchases late in the product cycle, only to have it rapidly obsoleted. The product cycle for cell phones is much shorter than in other markets.

Yeah, intellectually people know that but emotionally, they are pissed. I would be.

Soon after i bought my G5, apple announced the move to intel. To say i was upset would be an understatement. Luckily, steve jobs was not within driving distance from my house or else i might be in prison right now. After i calmed down, i realized that it could happen to anyone.. What is apple to do?.. don't sell any computers cause they will announce a architecture change soon?. So apple shouldn't drop the price of the phone cause other people bought it for $200 more?. They had to drop it at some point. Regardless of when they dropped it, there will always be someone who bought it at the higher price 2 months ago..

After the G5, i promised i would never overpay for an apple product again. (that thing was expensive!!). That's why i have been raving against the iphone as overpriced.

I find it interesting apple can suddenly still make a profit with a $399 phone instead of $599.

Let this be a lesson to you all.. start to question apple pricing strategies more. I love apple products.. i have the G5, my gf had the iMac, we both have ipods.. but that does not mean pay whatever apple says pay when they release a product. Think for a second...

now, if you think your product is overpriced but you are willing to still get it, go ahead.. but don't tell other people the product isn't overpriced.. that's dishonest. Many people online were really furious at me for suggesting the iphone was overpriced. I wish i could find the post where i stated that apple will drop the price soon after the early adopters have all bought their products (ie, the mac faithful).

Well again, I'm glad to recommend this product to people now. (had i not recently signed a long term, 2 year contract, i too might have switched.. I'd pay $399 for that phone).. oh well..

I'm so glad i told my GF to wait.. she was chomping at the bits.. i told her the price was insane, apple will come to their senses.. hold on a sec. She'll be happy she listened to me.