Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 61 of 408
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

Not for TWO months. Maybe 10 months, 1 year, 2 years, hell something substantial!

If you cound't tell, I'm REALLY pissed about this.

I can honestly say I've never bought ANYTHING that was devalued this much this fast in 25 years.

Lighten up. You bought a high end high tech product. That's what happens. I guess you never bought a high end Intel processor in the late 90s, huh? They started at $1000, and every three months dropped by about 40% .

Quit whining. YOUR purchase didn't change - you paid what they asked for a product you probably love. Now they want more sales so they drop the price. Get over it. Next time don't be such a nerd and buy the day of, kay?
  • Reply 62 of 408
    For all those complaining, what were you planning on doing with your purchase? Re-sell it this week on eBay? If that is the case, then you've got a right to be upset. If you were planning on using it for two or so years, then upgrade to a then-current model, then nothing has changed for you. Even if at&t started GIVING them away to new customers, still nothing to complain about. You paid the going price going into the agreement (for whatever reason), so live with it. Grow up. Please.

And for those of you who are not going to buy another 1.0 release from Apple again, good for you. I'm one of those (but not for price drop reasons; in fact, if I waited for 2.2 and the price had doubled in the year or two, I'd be satisfied.) If I really, really needed a 1.0 release, I'd still put it off as long as possible, hoping for maybe 1.0.0.2.
  • Reply 63 of 408
    Someone help me out here -- how long was it between the introduction of the first video iPod for a crazy $599 and its price being slashed? Did it go down to $499 or $399?

Wonder what, if any, the historical precedent for this is in terms of Apple's past pricing.

Jake
  • Reply 64 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

They had to drop it at some point. Regardless of when they dropped it, there will always be someone who bought it at the higher price 2 months ago..

But that's the point. If this product were in a normal life cycle and had a price reduction, that's understandable. This is a brand-new product LINE, not like just updating an iPod to higher capacity or changing colors or adding photo support (as in the past). The LINE has only been in a life cycle for TWO MONTHS. Anyone who thought the price would stay high forever is diluted. But I expected to see something of a normal life-cycle. Apple doesn't usually just cut the price on a current product. They may intro new features and capacity, and the price stays the same or sees a modest reduction, like $50. I call out anyone who says this is normal.

Quote:

Let this be a lesson to you all.. start to question apple pricing strategies more. I love apple products..

I love Apple products too, and I used to think those people who dissected iPods to make a bill of materials and figure out margins and cost were nuts. I'll be one of those people from now on.

Quote:

Well again, I'm glad to recommend this product to people now. (had i not recently signed a long term, 2 year contract, i too might have switched.. I'd pay $399 for that phone).. oh well..

I'll recommend it, once it's available on something besides AT&T. Maybe that's why SOME of us are also upset: we're shanghi'd into AT&T's service AND we paid too much for our phone!
  • Reply 65 of 408
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullrat View Post

Ouch! Think about all those ridiculously priced hacked iPhones on eBay. Some of those sellers probably bought a boatload hoping to make a ton of money. A $200 price drop would sure be a 2x4 upside the head, eh?

Very few people in the US want those hacked phone anyway. You don't really save any money at T-mobile and you lose your warranty and visual voicemail. People in Europe may want them but iPhones will be over there too in a couple months so there really is no point.
  • Reply 66 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

APPLE STORES OFFER PRICE ADJUSTMENTS.

its a little known fact.

take your phone back if you bought it recently and they will refund the difference.

Apple's US Retail Store price protection policy (from http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_pol...tail_us.html):

"Pricing

Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple-branded product within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase, you may request a refund of the difference between the price paid and the current selling price. An original purchase receipt is required, and you must request your refund within fourteen (14) calendar days of the price reduction."

If you just got your boss to buy one last week, you might end up looking like a hero rather than a schmuck.
  • Reply 67 of 408
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you bought an iPhone already you are now probably a whiner. If you didn't you are now, definitely, a winner!

Still, I'm most definitely holding out for the 16GB model now, now that Mr. touch me has it.
  • Reply 68 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Have NONE of you purchased a new car?!?! You wanna bitch about something now THATS something to bitch about... Just think how much value that car drops in mere seconds after driving it off the lot...

Dave

Not quite. The Toyota you buy for $20,000 is driven off the lot and worth $14,000 afterwards, we realize that. BUT, 2 months down the road if your neighbor wants that same car its still $20,000 at the dealership, not $14,000.

Your analogy does not apply.
  • Reply 69 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're not a sucker, but you are a whiner.

They just introduced the iTunes store to the iPhone. That's a feature many wanted.

That doesn't count as a feature update?

Well early buyers often pay a much higher price for anything, its the price for being the first which i never felt the need. I think the price cut is going to be huge but I also think it will cut into ipod touch sales.
  • Reply 70 of 408
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

What a bunch of damned babies. If you couldn't afford the $600 for the iPhone or it wasn't worth that much to you, then you shouldn't have bought it. I've had one since the Saturday after they went on sale, and I'm not bothered at all by this price decrease. I am actually pleased as punch that you can now buy song from iTMS over the air. I'm less impressed with the 99 cent ringtones, but I suspect there is more than just Apple involved there; at least it's still cheaper than the $3 some carriers charge and you also get to select what 30 second clip of the song to use via an iTunes interface.

At least Apple didn't pull a sleazy Sony move and deny that a price reduction was going to happen two days before they lowered the price.

Hear hear. I've never heard so much bitching about a price DROP.
  • Reply 71 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you bought an iPhone already you are now probably a whiner. If you didn't you are now, definitely, a winner!

Still, I'm most definitely holding out for the 16GB model now, now that Mr. touch me has it.

The 16GB version will probably be out soon for $599 and will lack 3G. 4 weeks later they'll sell it for $399 and bring out the 3G.
  • Reply 72 of 408
    This explains the sudden drop Apple expected in their gross margins.

I wonder if Apple has any rebate subsidy in place for the first iPhone buyers?
  • Reply 73 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you unable to read, or just not very smart? "Bitch" about the price correction in my post when I said <quote> "I got exactly what I paid for at $599 (with some added functionality now), so I am not complaining"<unquote>?

Sheesh...... pathetic....

PS: And, people might take you a bit more seriously if you learnt when to use an apostrophe.

You think you got your money's worth but your asking for free ringtone's from Apple because you bought early?

Quote:

For these reasons I think that the early adopters are owed some sort of quid pro quo from Apple (e.g., free ringtones).

• Reply 74 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Its not necessarily a feature that's worth $200, Mel.

I think its not really fair to call ppl 'whiners' over this. The price drop was huge and very shortly after launch. Let's face it, the early adopters do have carte blanche to gripe over this.

However, for the rest of us, their loss is our gain. Bittersweet, eh?

I have to admit, I'm taken aback by how aggressive the iPhone's pricing is now. I'll still wait for 'iPhone 2.0' before I'll even seriously consider it, but I have to admit that the temptation meter has been seriously cranked up.

(Well, okay, the ATT exclusive does still put the fire out for me a bit.)

I agree about the att comment. When Verizon jumps on board then I will consider an iPhone. I don't like being told what provider I have to use when im paying full retail for the product. The price drop is awesome im shocked that Apple made this move you never see price drops on their products until they release a new version.
  • Reply 75 of 408
    I bought my iPhone the first day it was released. It's the first phone I've ever owned that I've liked -- in fact, I love it. Prior to its release I did a lot of research to make sure that it was worth the $599 I spent on it. Given my need for a smartphone, my need for a phone that would work right with my Mac, my need for a new iPod, it clearly came up to being worth $599.

I bought my iPhone the first day it was released, and I haven't regretted the purchase or the price one bit.

Today, the price dropped by $200. My transaction is over two months old. I don't see how Apple dropping the price (likely as component prices come down... it appears that Apple has bulk-purchased all the flash memory on the planet) wrongs me in any way.

Did they make a promise to me not to drop the price? Of course not. In fact, a price drop prior to Christmas was inevitable.

It's karma, I guess. In 2002, I grabbed the G4 iMac. Four months later, when LCD glass prices went through the roof, the cost of the G4 iMac went UP $200. As I see it, it's a wash.

Well, it's a wash, and I have a kick-ass phone.
  • Reply 75 of 408
    Apple: throw in Applecare for the iPhone and .Mac for free for those who purchased the phone in the past 60 days whydontcha!
  • Reply 77 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

The problem is that iPhone sales are just what Apple wanted. They are probably dropping the price because they sold so well in their first two+ months: now Apple can take advantage of built economy of scale. The higher prices were to cover their asses if they only sold 200K in the first two months.

Bingo. Remember those surveys that talked about how many wanted the iPhone if the price was lower. Well Apple sold as many as the market could bear at the first price point. Now after a million happy customers just finished showing their iPhones to everyone else, they just build up enough pent up demand to sell the next 2 million iPHones and stay on target for margins and sales. Those who waited for a lower price will jump in now. This thing is only going to grow and grow like never before.
  • Reply 78 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

So what about those who bought the phone to USE it and not just to brag to a bunch of people who look once and then don't give a shit? (cause that's how all those people you think you're impressing really feel)

I understand octane, it was a harsh post, I apologize for the rudeness. I understand your frustration, but I think it's misplaced. When you buy bleeding edge devices, sometimes there is a price to pay for doing so.
  • Reply 79 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Not quite. The Toyota you buy for $20,000 is driven off the lot and worth $14,000 afterwards, we realize that. BUT, 2 months down the road if your neighbor wants that same car its still $20,000 at the dealership, not $14,000.

Even if it did apply, $14,000 is the trade-in value, if you were to sell it some two months later you could still get probably closer to $18,000 if it was $20,000 new.

My iPhone wouldn't fetch $300 on eBay now, even unlocked. I paid $650 (including tax) on June 29. That's a >50% depreciation in 9 1/2 weeks.

The equivalent would be buying that Toyota for $20,000, then Toyota says oh, now a new one is $10,000, and yours is worth $8,000, thanks for your business! Someone would get shot in the head.

Or better yet, you buy a Mac Pro for $2499 and two months later you can't give it away for $1100. Would YOU be happy in one of those situations? (and don't say $2500 if more than $600 or $10,000 drop is a lot more than $300. That's obvious, and you've missed the point ENTIRELY)
  • Reply 80 of 408
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Okay.. you got me, point taken...

So in this case do you feel Apple shouldn't **EVER** drop it's prices?! After all, **someone** will always will have just purchased (whatever) a month or two ago... and will risk upsetting them.

Or should Apple just not do their price drops when it happens to effects you?!

Dave