Apple refreshes iPod shuffle line, adds (RED) model

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Attracting less attention on Wednesday was a quiet refresh of Apple's iPod shuffle line, which remained relatively unchanged outside a color remix and the addition of a (PRODUCT) RED model.

Each iPod shuffle will continue to sport 1GB of NAND-flash based storage, good enough to hold some 240 tunes. Pricing also remains changed at $79 a piece.

In addition to the standard grey model, the clip-on players now come in several refreshed colors, including light purple, turquoise and sage.

A portion of proceeds from sales of a fifth model, dubbed iPod shuffle (PRODUCT) RED, will be donated to the Global Fund to help fight AIDS in Africa.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is a shame they didn't up the memroy storage on this device. Looks like Apple is milking the product with a color chnge. Sort of like a street walker dyeing her hair to get a little more life out of the chassie.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 9
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    what happened to 2GB???

the entire new iPod line up is awesome, except two things

1. 2GB iPod Shuffle

2. 16 GB iPhone $499
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I have mixed feelings about this update since I've been thinking of getting a Shuffle for a while. I like the colors but I also liked the previous colors. I think I'll be the only one mad that they didn't get to buy the orange shuffle.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I just wish the Project (RED) model had come out earlier.

I bought a 2G Shuffle just about a month ago, would've gotten the red one had it been out. And its a good cause too, even though I find Bono and Oprah to be annoying in anything other than very small amounts.

• Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haro! View Post

I think I'll be the only one mad that they didn't get to buy the orange shuffle.

While I didn't want a Shuffle, I'm quite upset at the fact that they didn't expand on the colour to all product lines.

/Adrian
  • Reply 6 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haro! View Post

I think I'll be the only one mad that they didn't get to buy the orange shuffle.

No. Thats the one I was thinking of too.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    A comment on another site wondered if Steve had been to a few too many baby showers recently

I think I'll take my nano in red. The other colours don't interest me.

OTOH it's about time they made a purple iPod. My wife has been waiting years for one.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    They need to drop the price 10 bucks on these imo.

Or up them to 2gb and while they're at it drop "sage" bring orange back and make an orange nano damnit!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Agreed - the Shuffle was a big snoozefest at yesterday's conference. So many other vendors have same size, same price point players with 2GB of memory. Cool as it is, the Shuffle is now behind other company's offerings - a bit unusual for Apple.

btw - if you dash out now, you could probably still find Orange shuffles at BB or on line somewhere... Actually, since it's the same price and size, I would be surprised if Apple stores don't just hang on to and sell off the 'old' colors...