Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 81 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

I'll stop bitchin, I've figured out how to get my moneys worth in other ways anyway. I know Apple reads some of these boards and I feel it important they know just HOW MANY of use are unhappy about this.

I just surveyed everyone who bought their iPhones at the original price, and it turns out you are the angriest of them all. Why are you sooooooo pissed off?

If Apple lowered their price $100, you'd be half as pissed off.

If they lowered their price $300, you'd be twice as pissed off.

(It's not entirely linear).

I understand pissed off.

But why are you pissed off?
  • Reply 82 of 408
    Seeing about the early adapters pissed is quite funny, but I clearly see why. The iPhone is still a pretty new handset, and it just saw a $200.00 dollar price cut. I've looked at other "Smartphones" that have been on the market well over a year, and didn't see a $200.00 price drop. That being said, I'm pretty sure all the people who got burned by the price drop has already whipped out their credit cards for the new iPod Touch.
  • Reply 83 of 408
    Come on. Can you point out any other time Apple has done something like this. Can your point to a HTC phone, BlackBerry, or pretty much any other smartphone that has dropped like this. I say let people vent, they have a right to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I just surveyed everyone who bought their iPhones at the original price, and it turns out you are the angriest of them all. Why are you sooooooo pissed off?

If Apple lowered their price $100, you'd be half as pissed off.

If they lowered their price $300, you'd be twice as pissed off.

(It's not entirely linear).

I understand somewhat pissed off.

But why are you pissed off?

• Reply 84 of 408
    you whiny bitches... Apple is doing the same thing it always does. It's just now they are in a market where cycles are a lot closer.

The fact remains that if you wanna play, you gotta pay. And you did, and you've been enjoying your iPhone and rubbing it everyone else's faces for two months now. You were king of the world for a while, you got what you paid for.

Now shut up.

No one forced you run right out and buy one. That's the problem with a large influx of switchers, newbies, whatever the hell you're called, you just don't get it. This is Apple. It's all about keeping the momentum going. It's has nothing to do with how many people have bought at an inflated price. If anything your mass adoption of the device helped hasten the price reduction. They've re-couped their costs and are reducing their price accordingly, all while still maintaining a healthy profit. I'm an Apple old-timer, and this is the exact reason I didn't rush out and buy one. I knew that within a few months there would be a price drop, it's not that hard to figure out. Now, the price is more than tempting enough for someone like me to bite. And that's exactly what Apple was shooting for - the holdouts.

Are you mad at Apple for reducing the price, or are you really just mad at yourself because you were foolish enough to buy a $600 phone? I'm guessing it's more the latter.

There's a reason Apple has entered such a renaissance, they get it. They get the market, and they get the consumer. It's no holds bar now baby, Apple's out to be the dominating force in this market and they've got one hell of a gameplan.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Apple is trying to screw with the competition more than with their customers?

Get over it and quit your bitching. No one is going to feel sorry for you so. What's your alternative, Dells and Nokias? Didn't think so. So shut up and be happy with what you've got.

[/end rant}
  • Reply 85 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I understand octane, it was a harsh post, I apologize for the rudeness. I understand your frustration, but I think it's misplaced. When you buy bleeding edge devices, sometimes there is a price to pay for doing so.

You're absolutely right, and I accept your apology and offer my own if I sound crazy. I have purchased many Apple products in an early-adopter position and never have I been burned like I feel right now--it's part of what I like about Apple. Today that changed, and stupid-sounding or not, I like Apple a little less because of this. I will still buy their products, just with much, much more care and consideration, and I may avoid and advise others to avoid (or procrastinate) purchasing. I used to wait for intial releases becuase it was the way to get the most value and life out of your purchase, not so any more. I used to have confidence that I knew the list of things Apple just would NOT do, that confidence is now shattered. \

Edit: I didn't buy the iPhone because it's bleeding edge, that's never my motivation, I have no one I'm trying to impress. I bought it because it does everything (easily) that I've been waiting for since 2002.
  • Reply 86 of 408
    I just got off the phone with Apple Customer service as I called to vent my frustration over the price drop. The rep that I spoke with said that within the next couple of days, Apple would make an announcement regarding rebates for qualified iPhone purchases. When I asked him what qualified meant, he stated that he could not discuss that at this time. He did not say what the rebate would be or how much. At least I feel a little bit better now.
  • Reply 87 of 408
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    Bright side: now lots more people will buy, and there will be more push toward opening to 3rd party apps and lots more hacks. Basically you'll enjoy a network effect as more and more people pick up the device. Soon enough, you'll be playing warcraft on your iphone, just because they lowered the price.

But in any event, I would be pissed too. Early adopters essentially paid $200 extra to be Beta-testers while Apple worked out the kinks. Ain't that a b!tch!
  • Reply 88 of 408
    The iPhone price cuts pave the way for a higher capacity iPhone. Who knows, we may see a new model at MacWorld 2008.
  • Reply 89 of 408
    Most of the time electronic devices drop over time to to manufacturing cost decline and parts cost less. This is clearly not the case. Seems like they over charged their loyal fans, just because they knew they would be loyal. That being said, I'll wait for it to get close to Xmas and get a 3G/WiFi/16G iPhone.
  • Reply 90 of 408
    Yes, I was one of the faithful, standing in a line for three hours to get my hands on a new 8GB iPhone on June 29th. And while I am very surprised at such a huge price drop - I am not upset. Fans of Apple, or any other consumer electronics company have, at some point, experienced the pain of a product refresh or cycle. Granted, we may not be used to drops such as this - but then again - I am not standing in line to buy a cell phone very often either. That's right - any of you who were there that day, probably can recall, just as I did when this news came out, that I felt it was expensive, but at least someone had created a device that was, for once, worthy of the price it was asking. A truly revolutionary device such as iPhone, with all it's cool features and gorgeous looks was - AND STILL IS - worth every danged penny I dropped on the counter! I am not 'into' cell phones, so I do not know what the standards of marketing are with such devices. But, before iPhone hit the shelves, I read somewhere that when Motorola released the RAZR, it was $500!! No offense to any RAZR owner, but here's a case a case of "what did I just pay for here"? At least the money I spent on an iPhone got me some very useful features - and more are getting added as time goes by.
  • Reply 91 of 408
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Everyone talks about the iPhone drop as if it was a scam to loyal Apple users. The fact is that Apple had no idea how well it would do. They priced it as they saw safe and then as production continued they were able to see that it was safe to lower the price. They did so.

After watching all the complaints here I think Apple just should've kept it at $599 and keep people happy. Never thought keeping a higher price would do that...
  • Reply 92 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by padrongus View Post

I'm also upset about the price drop but I'm more worried that the 4GB model won't be supported in the same way the 8GB models will be - such as with software updates. Anyone have any ideas on this?

It shouldn't have anything to do with software updates. The 4GB should be kept up to date with the 16GB model. That is whenever those updates come. Not talking about few bug fixes updates but new Apple iPhone Apps or something significant update. If worse comes to worse, and your model doesn't work with software updates, take into Apple store and have them replace it with a workable 8 GB iPhone!

Anyway, as irked as most early adopter are and as pleased as those who have yet to purchase an iPhone and to those that would love to laugh in the face of the early adopters over this big price decrease, just think of this...

Steve Ballmer has gone from his nervous little laugh and boisterous claim as the CEO scoffed: "$500! Fully subsidized! With a plan. That's the most expensive phone in the world. And it doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email."

To a nervous little cry, sobbing... Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks

Well that's what I heard anyway.
  • Reply 93 of 408
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Okay.. you got me, point taken...

So in this case do you feel Apple shouldn't **EVER** drop it's prices?! After all, **someone** will always will have just purchased (whatever) a month or two ago... and will risk upsetting them.

Or should Apple just not do their price drops when it happens to effects you?!

Dave

No, I understand the price comes down, it always does. I'm not the person who buys Apple products mid-cycle--I buy day/week/month of release, that provides the greatest longevity to a purchase. I understand use/cost value.
  • Reply 94 of 408
    My 4GB iPhone is being delivered today via Fedex... I just called Apple and they of course offered me the $50 price protection on the purchase. (I bought the 4gig refurb for $399)... and I then told her that since I had already purchased the 4GB refurb, that an equivilant would be the 8GB refurb that they now have in the store for $349.... so she gave me another $50.

So I got an iPhone for $300, and that makes me happy! :-)

Sure I'd love to have the 8gig version and I'll be using every bit of the 4gb that I now have, but I'd rather have the extra cash to spend toward buying Leopard here in a month or two.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my super experience with the Apple Store just now.
  • Reply 95 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

*raises hand* I'm extremely unhappy at this, infact saying I'm so flaming pissed-off I could shoot someone would be like calling the atlantic ocean a pond.

Two f**king months, Apple. TWO WTF are you thinking?!?! I'm usually one of those people who doesn't question what Apple does because it usually works out, but this is one where I'm on the other side. This hurts, Apple. Call me a whiner, but you basically said, "thanks everyone who bought an iPhone! We're glad you're our customers and helped us get out of the gates with record number! Now f*ck you! We're devaluing your purchase 65% in one hour! Bizzatch, that's what you get for being an early adopter!"

Lesson learned Apple, thanks for being a great teacher.

/rant off

Actually we often do call the Atlantic "The Pond"!

Taking you at your word: Yes, you are a whiner!

I suspect most people weren't buying an iPhone as an appreciating asset that they wanted to invest in. You're getting your value, getting in early and with your remaining period of ownership. Enjoy it. It was worth it to you at the time of purchase and that's all that counts.

Relax. Enjoy. Be calm.
  • Reply 96 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're not a sucker, but you are a whiner.

They just introduced the iTunes store to the iPhone. That's a feature many wanted.

That doesn't count as a feature update?

I don't believe I asked for your opinion of me, but since we're sharing personal opinions of each other... You're an asshole. I guess you are just one of those special people who is so much better than me, that you see it as your duty to impose your view upon me by judging me publicly. I hope it made you feel big and powerful. Seriously, who are you to judge? Stick to commenting on the issues that are posted rather than using your internet anonymity/proximity to take cheap shots at someone personally. Did you buy an iPhone? If you did, does this news not sting a little? If you didn't, again I ask, who are you to judge?

Simply feeling like I've been taken by a company that hyped a product to produce imaginary demand for which very little supply constraints ever existed, only to cut the price by 33% just 2 months after release, and expressing my feelings about it, does not make me a whiner. If Apple could sell the phone I purchased at $600 for $400 only 2 months later, and still make a profit that makes the corporate strategy and bottom-line look good to the street, then they were over-charging to the extreme. It's almost like I gave $200 to Apple for nothing in return when they are able, this quickly, to sell the same iPhone to everyone else for only $400. Did something make them realize that at the higher price, the features, and Apple's "cool" quotient, aren't compelling enough to sustain the product beyond initial launch?

It's been just over two months, there have been two bug-fix releases, and I still can't surf reliably with Safari on the iPhone because it crashes nearly every time I use it -- the majority of the crashes being on Apple's own pages. I haven't seen any indication that any of the problems I've noticed have been addressed by the bug-fix releases. I suspect that the second release was simply to add the Web Gallery option to help sell iLife and maybe to support new iWork document formats. I wanted the iTunes Store on my iPhone too, but that's not nearly as important as being able to sync with additional email accounts, such as Outlook/Exchange. Also, features that simply give you easier access to part with your money by putting it in Apple's pockets, such as the Wi-Fi iTS and Ringtone creation in iTunes for an additional fee (you pay twice for the song so you can have an additional 30-second clip of it), are no-brainers for Apple. That just makes sense for them, and thank god, someone has finally brought the price down for ringtones. Phone companies have been ridiculous with their ringtone pricing.

Primarily, what I'd like to see is compatibility with Exchange email servers and improved password security for the locking mechanism, but those are business-related. For consumers, I'd like to see usability features and bug fixes, like:
    • system-wide [text] select, copy/cut, and paste

• multiple photo attachments in emails

• ability to mark an email as junk

• ability to select multiple items, such as email or notes, and delete the selected items all at once.

• disk mode

• Flash support

Almost all of the above features were expected within 2 to 3 weeks of launch based on rumor articles AND analyst comments (analysts that are typically fairly reliable).

But even before any of these new features, I'd like to see more stability and reliability in existing features, such as:
    • a magnifying glass in text fields that is smart enough not to go off-screen, is more responsive, and doesn't have the bug that causes the cursor to disappear inside the glass so that I'll actually know where the cursor is going to land in the text

• more reliable spell-checking/auto-completion (it doesn't quite seem to function fully in all locations in the same manner)

• a Safari client that doesn't crash constantly

• Bluetooth that doesn't pop and crack when I put my phone in my left pocket while the Apple Bluetooth headset is in my right ear (A distance of maybe 3 feet causes a problem when Bluetooth is supposed to work at a distance up to 30 feet? Sometimes at a distance of only 1.5 to 2 feet, just holding it in my hand seems to cause interference.)

And I paid $200 more just weeks ago to have this? If I'd had any idea at all that the price would come down in less than 6 months and more than $50 to $100, I would have waited. That's not whining -- it simply hasn't been on the market long enough to justify this kind of price decrease without making it painfully obvious that they were seriously over-charging for the device. I'd just like to have gotten the same great deal that everyone else is going to get now -- for the same exact product -- no changes at all. I'm not saying I didn't expect an eventual price-drop -- It happens with all products, but usually only after a reasonable amount of time has passed in the product's lifecycle and, historically, Apple lowers prices with new generations of a product. This was just a complete shock.
  • Reply 97 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcoffman View Post

My 4GB iPhone is being delivered today via Fedex... I just called Apple and they of course offered me the $50 price protection on the purchase. (I bought the 4gig refurb for $399)... and I then told her that since I had already purchased the 4GB refurb, that an equivilant would be the 8GB refurb that they now have in the store for $349.... so she gave me another $50.

So I got an iPhone for $300, and that makes me happy! :-)

Sure I'd love to have the 8gig version and I'll be using every bit of the 4gb that I now have, but I'd rather have the extra cash to spend toward buying Leopard here in a month or two.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my super experience with the Apple Store just now.

Hate to upset you JD but the 4gb phones are being sold at $299 new through the store - better get back on the phone and wangle another $50 from them !!

jon
  • Reply 98 of 408
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Just like Apple updating the G4/1.42Ghz tower to a Dual 2.0 GHz G5. Now that is something to cry about!

Remember, no one forced you to buy the iPhone ...
  • Reply 99 of 408
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    Wow stop with all the QQ posts about the iPhone price drop. It is an unusual move by Apple since they usually tend to a rigid pricing system, but then again, them entering the phone market is a new thing - no one could have known what to expect.

At the time you bought your iPhone, you felt you had an even exchange; if not I don't know what the hell you were thinking. Regardless, you agreed on the price, and the "fault" is just as much yours as it is Apple's.

If Apple added $200 worth of features and still charged $600 for it I bet you guys would be thinking "Damn, I wish I waited for a 2nd gen." Instead, they just dropped the price $200, and you should be thinking "Damn, I wish I waited to see how all this was going to pan out."