iPod Hi-Fi flops its way off Apple's online store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Self-professed audiophile Steve Jobs, who last year said he replaced all of his expensive audio equipment and speakers with several of Apple's then fledgeling iPod Hi-Fi boombox systems, would now appear to have a house full of curios.

In an unpublicized move Wednesday, Apple quietly began pulling the $349 iPod Hi-Fi speaker system from online stores around the world, signaling that the product has likely been discontinued with no further revisions planned.

Introduced just 18 months ago, Apple billed the Hi-Fi as "an all-new high-fidelity speaker system that works seamlessly with the iPod to redefine the home stereo system," delivering "breathtaking acoustic performance and room-filling sound unlike any other speaker system designed for the iPod."

The last time anyone checked, the Hi-Fi showed few signs of fading, though it was garnering more dollar share of the iPod speaker market than market share.

NPD statistics published by the Apple 2.0 Blog about a year ago showed the Apple device to be the fourth most popular iPod speaker system at the time, with a 7.8 percent market share, behind systems from Bose, Logitech and i-Fusion.

When it came to revenue share, however, the Hi-Fi's steep price tag helped push it into second place behind Bose. Since then, sales of the device were rumored to have been stuck in the doldrums.

Rather than slash pricing and add more compelling features -- such as Wi-Fi connectivity -- Apple now appears to have scrapped the product altogether.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    next up.....

APPLE T.V
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph_xxl View Post

next up.....

APPLE T.V

Can't wait for the angst on this forum that we'll see then!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    anyone know if this new ipod touch will work with the ipod hi-fi? As I was reading this I just had this horrible feeling that they'd designed this new gadget with the intention of phasing out the hi-fi therefore making them incompatible??
  • Reply 4 of 32
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    I think we are more likely to see a replacement that will accept Wireless streaming from an iPod!
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I have no need for a speaker for my iPod...I've already invested thousands in two sound systems. For the love of Pete, give me a boombox with built-in AirTunes... Sheesh. I'll take two of those.

And, give me a clock radio that pulls music off my iMac.

Talk about potential high markup items...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

I think we are more likely to see a replacement that will accept Wireless streaming from an iPod!

I think it will resurface in six months or less with an airport express built in, and probably dropping the battery option which I doubt many people used.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

next up.....

APPLE T.V

Oh no, they're keeping AppleTV for awhile I'm sure. I'm looking at it to replace the need for VHS or PVR recording.

Imagine it being linked directly to the content providers' television series and movies, but their content would be free via commercials. Television viewing would all be on demand and still free without the PVR, Tivo, or VHS recorder.

I looking to see if Apple can pull that off with the studios (NBC included).

The iPod HiFi was just priced too high. If Apple was serious about it then they should have lowered the price or updated the features. They didn't even bother. I'm sure it would have sold better at a lower price point.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The iPod HiFi was just priced too high. If Apple was serious about it then they should have lowered the price or updated the features. They didn't even bother. I'm sure it would have sold better at a lower price point.

For me, the HiFi was just not a good fit. I would have liked a smaller, lighter boom box type type thing that didn't leave the iPod sticking out vulnerable. The goal of replacing a home sterio system was pie in the sky--it had only a few of the functions necessary for that, yet it didn't seem like a good portable solution.

I don't even think that a lower price would have convinced me.

I am with those who think that they may come up with a WiFi replacement (running on OS X, of course) and lets hope it fills an actual nitche
  • Reply 9 of 32
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Maybe they are dropping the product for a new one? Or maybe thy prefer to concentrate on the iPod line and leave the rest for the accessory makers?

The AppleTV is another story... It is not a success because of 2 reasons:

1. no connection to most TV's (y reason not buy one)

2. no rental videos... People just don't want to buy all those movies they're watching.. that's why I got netflix..
  • Reply 10 of 32
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    not really visually appealing, mediocre sound, not correctly priced (worth more like $199, if that). sure steve, we beleive you that you threw out all your expensive audio gear for the apple boom box (NOT).
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I don't know. I looked at a LOT of iPod Hi-Fi systems out there (Bose, JVC, etc.) and I got to tell you, the Apple Hi-Fi had them beat overall. This thing has a real nice sound to it. Full rich bass, subtle midtones and so on. Yes, it's not cheap. But of all the ones I looked at, this thing was the best value. This would be a shame if they discontinue it. I use it everyday. Hopefully this means that a revised version will come out.

I recommended the Apple Hi-Fi to 2 of my friends that were both looking for similar systems. One got it, the other one did not. The one who didn't get it, really wished he did after hearing mine.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Has Apple ever dropped a product with a long time between the discontinued version and a replacement? The best I can think of is the Cube to the mini.

If it matters, Apple is still offering those Apple branded $99 leather iPod cases. I really can't think of an Apple product that's more unappealing than that. The usage for it is odd and the price too steep for such an odd design.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    c`mon guys that box was never ever hifi even remotely; iPod itself is all about compressed portable and free music. Hi Fidelity is all about 40$ super discs and fabolous DACs and gold cables and 250,000 dollars worth of speakers...
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

next up.....

APPLE T.V

That would make my day. AppleTV needs to be re-thought from top to bottom or killed off.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Interesting that the product selector at the top of the iPod + iTunes page shows a new iPod in the iPod Hi-Fi.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    I don't see why some of you are so down on the Apple TV. I use it almost daily and it works flawlessly. Since I got rid of Cable TV I just download whatever shows I want to see from ITMS and watch it on The Apple TV. I watch YouTube when in the mood and a myriad of podcasts that I subscribe to without a hiccup. I just finished watching yesterdays Eureka at 1080i and the picture was great - not true hidef but better than broadcast. Many of the podcasts I like are true hidef and look spectacular my 50 inch plasma. Streaming music videos over the Airport Extreme also works without a pause or freeze.

Sure the Apple TV could use some improvements and added features but let's get real, it does what it's supposed to do and it does it quite well.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberdish View Post

Since I got rid of Cable TV I just download whatever shows I want to see from ITMS and watch it on The Apple TV. .... I just finished watching yesterdays Eureka at 1080i and the picture was great - not true hidef but better than broadcast.

Please tell me where the 1080i content can be found on the iTMS... I'd kill to know... as would other I'd bet. Last I checked HD content was not an option... unless you 'shopped' at some of the more dubious areas of the net.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 32
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Please tell me where the 1080i content can be found on the iTMS... I'd kill to know... as would other I'd bet. Last I checked HD content was not an option... unless you 'shopped' at some of the more dubious areas of the net.

Dave

I think his podcast was 1080i, which iTunes does feature.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    They need to take out the battery port, make the Hi-Fi smaller and lighter a bit, add air tunes and price it between 149-199.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I think his podcast was 1080i, which iTunes does feature.

Really? The official specs for Apple TV say that it can't play media above 720p. I know Apple has fudged down the specified resolution before, but I figured this one might have been honest.

At any rate, 1080i video exported to AppleTV gets knocked down to 540p.