So, how many of you iPhone early adopters feel BETRAYED?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey, I'm thrilled the iPhone is going for $399 and more people will get to enjoy it. What I'm not thrilled about is that I supported Apple by buying an iPhone shortly after its release, only to see a $200 price drop quickly followed. It seems like a total kick in the gut to the fanboy base that helps Apple's products become successes by buying them quickly upon release.

Bummer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    $200 was the price of fame for the last 2 1/2 months. I say it was worth it. You only live once.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Price of fame?

Have some more kool-aid.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Fame? I didn't particularly enjoy strangers coming up to me to ask me about it (though I'd always tell them how much I liked it). I certainly didn't get some feeling like "Boy, I'm cool because I have an iPhone." I merely bought it because it seemed like a great product. Of course price drops are inevitable, but with Apple you figure it's every 6 months to a year along with feature changes. This was a $200 drop for the exact same phone less than two months after I purchased it and less than 2.5 months after its release. It's a fanboy tax and it stings. Glad I could beta test the phone for you, Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    That's just the way it is. It's not going to change. Early adopters always get screwed, price-wise, to a certain extent. There will always be people who want the latest and greatest. That is never going to change and apple knows it.

If you bought it, you obviously thought it was worth the price.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

These arguments, though, are sort of non sequiturs. Obviously in retrospect, many people won't think it was "worth" paying $200 to have an iPhone for an extra six weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Yeah I'll be honest. I'm kind of angry. I knew it was going to happen just hoping that it wasn't going to happen so quickly or I would have waited. $200 is a lot. I was expecting $100. And I knew the 4GB wasn't going to last, it was a bad idea from the get-go. I noticed the iPod Touch coming out now has a 16GB HD in it, gosh I wish they had put that in the iPhone.\
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Yes, it is worth $600. But the fact that not about 2 months goes by and suddenly its dropped to $400 and people buying them up like crazy is like Apple bent me over with the vasoline. I'm really glad Apple is going to be selling a lot more of these and I completely stand by Apple's side and think they are one of the best companies around but I just wished they hadn't dropped the price so much so soon. I was figuring it would be right before christmas and maybe $100 drop.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnrjr79 View Post

Fame? I didn't particularly enjoy strangers coming up to me to ask me about it (though I'd always tell them how much I liked it). I certainly didn't get some feeling like "Boy, I'm cool because I have an iPhone." I merely bought it because it seemed like a great product. Of course price drops are inevitable, but with Apple you figure it's every 6 months to a year along with feature changes. This was a $200 drop for the exact same phone less than two months after I purchased it and less than 2.5 months after its release. It's a fanboy tax and it stings. Glad I could beta test the phone for you, Apple!

100% Agree
  • Reply 9 of 40
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I feel smacked about considering the price dropped 33% 68 days after release. That's quite the drop in a short amount of time.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    kadkad Posts: 5member
    Yea, I got an iPhone the day after it came out...but I guess it was my fault I was not patient enough to wait a couple months... O well, I still REALLY like it!
  • Reply 11 of 40
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Sure, I'd like the extra $200 back as much as the next guy, but having had the phone since launch day I don't think I'm entitled to it. I knew the price and featureset when I purchased it and have enjoyed my iPhone tremendously, so no regrets.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Honestly , I would be more pissed if the newly price iPhone got the 16 GB drive and a lot more feature set than what we early adopters got in paying more than 600 dollars for last June 29 .
  • Reply 13 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KAD View Post

Yea, I got an iPhone the day after it came out... ... O well, I still REALLY like it!

I bought my iPhone on June 29, the first day it was available. Unlike some here, I did not buy it as an investment. I bought my iPhone because I wanted the best mobile phone available. In the nearly 10 weeks that I have owned it, I could not be more pleased with my iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    just be glad you all did not get 2 like i did! oh well. it was my first cell phone purchase ever and i waited since Jan, but like you all I had no clue it would drop that fast. $400 for me...that bites!
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doublej24 View Post

just be glad you all did not get 2 like i did! oh well. it was my first cell phone purchase ever and i waited since Jan, but like you all I had no clue it would drop that fast. $400 for me...that bites!

I did buy two! Waited in line on June 29th and everthing. I am not sore about it at all. You can't be an early adopter and complain about things like that.

Now my question is this. If you were blessed with a crystal ball and you "knew" that the price was going to drop by $200 in 10 weeks, would you have waited? I would have still been in line and bought two. I had to have them. That's that.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    While I can understand your frustration, the word "betrayed" is very strong. I mean really.."betrayed?" That's crazy. I know I was furious when they updated the iMac to intel 3 weeks after I bought my G5 (two month old rev). But betrayed? Not quite. It's the way tech works. I didn't see it coming, but still...it happens.

I bought a Panasonic HDTV last year for about $2200. 42" Plasma. That same TV is like $1500 now. OK, so it was a year.

My feeling is that if Apple wants to avoid some bad PR, they'll issue a price guarantee/rebate for anyone that bought an iPhone the last 30 days. It would be expensive, but not that expensive. Or, they could offer them store credit for the same amount. That would actually be a much better idea. Make people use it on an Apple product.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I bought a Panasonic HDTV last year for about $2200. 42" Plasma. That same TV is like $1500 now. OK, so it was a year.

I agree 100%. Back in 2004, I bought a Panasonic HD monitor. After I bought it, the price dropped so quickly that new ones cost less than my unpaid balance. This is the way of the Hi-tech gadgets--their prices drop like rocks. The people whining need to drink a glass of warm milk and go to bed. When they wake up, they will realize that they still the coolest phone on Earth.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Apple is obviously trying to steer people who are on the edge into the iPhone purchase. Since both Touch and iPhone are now priced the same, it's an easier rationalization to make the switch to iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    There certainly was no way to know 2 months ago the price would drop so dramatically. Its just business it isn't personal. You guys need to chill and enjoy life.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnrjr79 View Post

Hey, I'm thrilled the iPhone is going for $399 and more people will get to enjoy it. What I'm not thrilled about is that I supported Apple by buying an iPhone shortly after its release, only to see a $200 price drop quickly followed. It seems like a total kick in the gut to the fanboy base that helps Apple's products become successes by buying them quickly upon release.

Bummer.

I have read the various threads about the price drop being inevitable and how cell phone prices drop shortly after the phone is released and how we are all a bunch of babies for whining. Puhlease! What Apple did today is unconscionable! I consider myself an experienced consumer and what Apple did today does not fit any retail pattern that I can name! They knew that the iPhone would stir up a frenzy among the most loyal Apple fans and that those fans would run out an snap up the iPhone. You couldn't buy more effective advertising than having a news crew film a line of fanatics camping out in front of an Apple Store. And we did just what they wanted. So much so, that Apple now has $46 million dollars (that's the $200 extra that each of the original 230,000 buyers paid) to incentivize new customers to come to the fold. And what do we get for it? Bragging rights? What a crock!

You bet I feel betrayed. I bought the iPhone knowing that it was at least $200 over priced. But all Apple products are over priced compared to the competition, so I figured that the iPhone would always be $600 and that future versions would be bigger and better. That is Apple's pattern. But the same iPhone I bought only two months ago, with the exact same features is now $200 cheaper. Apple completely turned the tables and in doing so, alienated their core customer base. Apple used to be a brand that engendered extreme, almost fanatic customer loyalty. No more.