Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Comments

• Reply 181 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Because you want to sit and listen to your hi-Fi from a comfortable listening position and you don't want to get up and leave the room and go to where your computer is just to change tracks. You want to be able to do all that from the comfort of your Le Corbusier Chaise Lounge http://www.spacify.com/products-143-10-LC4.html

You aren't, after all, going to keep your computer and Hi-Fi in the same room because the former is too noisy.

I thought the Apple controller for the ATV was supposed to do that for you. That was the entire point. Control your computers video's and music from your living room. You shouldn't need an iPod to do that.

If you do, then something is wrong.
  • Reply 182 of 311
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, well that's a specialized need that you should have mentioned.

It's not that specialized. iPhone can do it. iPod can't. And the only reason is because Apple didn't include the software they already developed.

There's no reason for this at all. Other than marketing.
  • Reply 183 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What is it with Americans? Why do they all say this?

It's "I could NOT care less". Think about it!

There is no explaining idiomatic expressions.

You have yours, and we have ours.
  • Reply 184 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

It's not that specialized. iPhone can do it. iPod can't. And the only reason is because Apple didn't include the software they already developed.

There's no reason for this at all. Other than marketing.

As I told someone else, it wasn't intended for that, but it might come anyway, even if not through Apple.
  • Reply 185 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

There is no explaining idiomatic expressions.

You have yours, and we have ours.

No explaining? I would have thought that the origins of a saying should be traceable. So the question is, which idiot decided to leave out the "not", and why did you all copy him/her?

If someone says to you "I could care less about Mail on the iPod touch", you take that to mean they don't care about it, if they're American. What if you do care about it? How does the conversation go?

Person A: "I could care less about Mail on the iPod touch."

Person B: "I could."

Person B: "I couldn't."

In which situation has person B shared person A's non-caring status? I just don't get it. Why why why do you guys leave out the "not"? Can't it lead to confusion?
  • Reply 186 of 311
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

As I told someone else, it wasn't intended for that, but it might come anyway, even if not through Apple.

Why not? It's a no brainer. It's got WiFi. It's got OS X (I assume). Why not install the software? Or allow me to install it later? There's no reason. Other than marketing.
  • Reply 187 of 311
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

I don't understand your need at all. It doesn't seem to make sense.

Let's see if I understand this. You have a computer with all of your video and music on it, but you NEED to stream from your iPod instead?

Why on earth would you want to do that?

I didn't use the word "NEED"... it's what I would "like". Why? Because with all my music on my iMac... I have to be sitting in front of my iMac to browse my music, change selections, change playlists, switch to shuffle or not... etc. etc. etc.

Yes... I could use a remote control... but that's not a very nice interface.

Yes... I could use Front Row... but I still have to be within viewing distance of my iMac... and I still have to use a crappy remote control interface.

Do you not think it would be cool to have something like the iPod touch... with all of your music on it (or controlling all of your music on a server)... take it with you anywhere in the house (speakers in multiple rooms)... you're not tied down with wires... you're not tied to a remote screen... you're not crippled with a push button remote that has no screen... etc. You'd have all of your music... in your hand... with a full graphical multi-touch user interface... streaming to a high-end stereo system. All wireless. Awesome. It would... in a sense... be the ultimate remote control.
  • Reply 188 of 311
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Should be doable with an Ajax web page and AppleScript.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts02.php

I was thinking the same thing actually. Now that we have an iPod with 'net connectivity... it opens up a lot of possibilities for remote control via the web. Thanks for the links.
  • Reply 189 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

WTF Jobs?!?!?

soooo pissed off that i spent an extra $200 on my phone than i needed to.

fastest selling launch in history? and fastest to piss off the early adopters.

That's the price of early adoption. This is no secret, Apple has always worked this way. And they aren't the only company to have ever done so.
  • Reply 190 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No explaining? I would have thought that the origins of a saying should be traceable. So the question is, which idiot decided to leave out the "not", and why did you all copy him/her?

If someone says to you "I could care less about Mail on the iPod touch", you take that to mean they don't care about it, if they're American. What if you do care about it? How does the conversation go?

Person B: "I could."

Person B: "I couldn't."

In which situation has person B shared person A's non-caring status? I just don't get it. Why why why do you guys leave out the "not"? Can't it lead to confusion?

What do I call you? Mr. H is so formal. I'll go with "H".

Ok, H, while the origin of a phrase would normally make sense, hopefully grammatically, even that is not always true. But, let's say it is here, as it likely is.

That doesn't explain why some words get dropped over time. If one were an historian of language, perhaps one would know, but otherwise, we don't.

Sometimes, I know, words get dropped because the phrase is used in a way that favors a shorter statement, or quicker. Sometimes, it's just easier to say.

Heh. I wouldn't want to talk to that person. People who use these idiomatic expressions know what they mean, and people who hear them do as well.

So, if you did care about the mail, you would say. Yes, I care about the mail.

People usually don't talk in the negative. In other words, no one here would ever think of saying I could care less, to mean that they could care, but not much, when they would simply say, that they would care. Or, they might say that they don't care much, meaning that they do care, but, er, not much.

Saying I could care less, with the meaning you would assign to it would be an offhand expression. something thrown over the shoulder when passing by, so to speak, not often done here either.
  • Reply 191 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Why not? It's a no brainer. It's got WiFi. It's got OS X (I assume). Why not install the software? Or allow me to install it later? There's no reason. Other than marketing.

It's a no brainer for someone outside Apple who wants it. I agree with that.

But, that doesn't mean that Apple sees its being used that way. Do you see what I mean.

Maybe they could have put it in, but chose not to.
  • Reply 192 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenatek View Post

What I have been unable to figure out is if the calander and contacts are directly editable form the ipod touch like they are on the iphone. This one thing will decide for me whether or not I will wait for the iphone (Canada) or just go get the ipod touch.

If they are not I think thats ridiculous.

Very good question!

Anyone know?

And I agree with those who wonder why Mail isn't on the iPod.
  • Reply 193 of 311
    iTunes 7.4? Where? No sign of it anywhere.
  • Reply 194 of 311
    Quote:

Price, baby, price. 32GB would have increased the price another $100 to $150.

I would have paid more for the 32gb. $599 price point-I would have paid.
  • Reply 195 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I didn't use the word "NEED"... it's what I would "like". Why? Because with all my music on my iMac... I have to be sitting in front of my iMac to browse my music, change selections, change playlists, switch to shuffle or not... etc. etc. etc.

Ok, need, like, whatever.

Quote:

Yes... I could use a remote control... but that's not a very nice interface.

Yes... I could use Front Row... but I still have to be within viewing distance of my iMac... and I still have to use a crappy remote control interface.

I think we're talking past each other. If you have an ATv, then correct my possible understanding. If you don't, then perhaps, I might be correcting yours.

From what I know about the ATv, it also uses Front Row, and the Apple remote. That's the entire idea behind it.

Whatever you have on your computer is seen on your Tv screen using the ATv's Front Row program. The ATv then, controls what you see, and hear, from your computer, which is in another room, either broadcasting to the ATv over wireless, or wired Ethernet. You are controlling what you want from your very comfy seat, using the Apple controller, while pointing it at the ATv, which is in front of you, near your Tv.

Quote:

Do you not think it would be cool to have something like the iPod touch... with all of your music on it (or controlling all of your music on a server)... take it with you anywhere in the house (speakers in multiple rooms)... you're not tied down with wires... you're not tied to a remote screen... you're not crippled with a push button remote that has no screen... etc. You'd have all of your music... in your hand... with a full graphical multi-touch user interface... streaming to a high-end stereo system. All wireless. Awesome. It would... in a sense... be the ultimate remote control.

It would be cool, but not required to do what you want to do now, as far as I can see.

Check out Apple's page on the ATv, and let us know if it does what you want.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL.../ipod/apple_tv
  • Reply 196 of 311
    Mr. H: There is this thing called 'slang' that exists in America. Almost everyone uses it so much that when they talk to people outside of the region where the certain slang term exists, they will still use it even though the 'foreigner' might not understand it. The person, being an ignorant American, would also not likely realize their folly until the other person specifically asked them what the phrase or word meant.

American English is very different from that of the British, Australian, or any other country that speaks it. We are usually very sarcastic, cynical, and lazy in our grammar. Certain words get dropped (or added), and as time passes they can become part of the common language. Oh, and we use hyperboles all the time too.

Why is it called a 'spot' of tea? Why do you call it a trolley instead of a train? (Or why do we call it a train instead of a trolley?). Or any of the other hundreds or thousands of minor differences in our language that make some things hard to understand when conversing.
  • Reply 197 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I would have paid more for the 32gb. $599 price point-I would have paid.

I'm sure that some people would have, if $599 would have been the price point.

But, Apple likely did enough marketing to get the idea that not very many would have paid that.

If you wait, possibly 6 months from now, you'll have your wish.
  • Reply 198 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Mr. H: There is this thing called 'slang' that exists in America. Almost everyone uses it so much that when they talk to people outside of the region where the certain slang term exists, they will still use it even though the 'foreigner' might not understand it. The person, being an ignorant American, would also not likely realize their folly until the other person specifically asked them what the phrase or word meant.

American English is very different from that of the British, Australian, or any other country that speaks it. We are usually very sarcastic, cynical, and lazy in our grammar. Certain words get dropped (or added), and as time passes they can become part of the common language. Oh, and we use hyperboles all the time too.

Why is it called a 'spot' of tea? Why do you call it a trolley instead of a train? (Or why do we call it a train instead of a trolley?). Or any of the other hundreds or thousands of minor differences in our language that make some things hard to understand when conversing.

"Cor, Gov'ner", you got that right. I'm not sure if I spelt that right, but i've heard it so many times on British Tv.
  • Reply 199 of 311
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

American English is very different from that of the British, Australian, or any other country that speaks it.

Sure. Faucet/tap, pavement/road, sidewalk/pavement, color/colour, etc. etc., these are all understandable. But removing a word from a phrase so that the words mean the inverse of what you actually mean? That will never make sense to me.
  • Reply 200 of 311
    Quote:

What's the problem?

I'm pretty sure that WiFi at Starbucks is free now. It just requires that you log in. with iTunes, you won't have to do that. Also, Apple's deal seems to be an exclusive one to buy Starbucks music from iTunes (so it seems).

How many times do people have to tell you it's not free?