Photos of Apple's 2007 holiday iPod lineup

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc. during a press event on Wednesday introduced four new lines of iPods, including the new widescreen iPod touch, iPod classic, and iPod nano "phatty." Photos of each model from Apple's post-event reception follow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    awsome, I'm not sure how I feel about the overall look of the iPod classic, usually the "sleekness" is taken up a notch and makes the last version look antiquated but this one doesn't seem to do that. nevertheless the storage increases and interface modifications are amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    WHY WHY WHY on Earth did they go with shiny aluminum on the back of the new Touch?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    I think the classic fits a niche of user that want portable storage/media player. The iPhone and I'll the bet the Touch as well, does not allow for disk mounting.

I think it's an interesting option and I'm glad they've continued it. I've really enjoyed my original iPod with Video.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I wonder if, Apple were to release a 3G iphone..... Would it be

available to other carriers like Verizon that already have superor 3g

capabilty? Since IT IS a different phone model anyways, the Apple/

AT&T exclusive contract wouldn't apply.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    The nano looks really cool. I like the red color.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I'm sad there's no more white on any of the iPods. I still think pure white looks better than the crappy 60's SciFi silver. Black is the only colour I like now, and the Touch looks nice - in fact, it's what the iPhone SHOULD look like, without the tacky, glitzy silver bezel.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    I really like how the classic iPod looks, very understated, and almost zen (and I don't mean the fugly MP3 players)
  • Reply 8 of 56
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I'm sad there's no more white on any of the iPods. I still think pure white looks better than the crappy 60's SciFi silver. Black is the only colour I like now, and the Touch looks nice - in fact, it's what the iPhone SHOULD look like, without the tacky, glitzy silver bezel.

Yeah, the Touch looks good. But I am surprised at how not bad the Phatty looks. In the leaked "flower" image from last week it looked terrible, I thought, but in hand it appeared reasonable IMO. If someone gave me one, I would keep it.

Though I would prefer a Touch.

And a Classic might be nice to have too...
  • Reply 9 of 56
    I was really looking forward to the new ipod touch but now im not going to buy it because the biggest only has 16GB. I think that if apple makes a bigger one, not only me but many other people would buy it.

• Reply 10 of 56
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdllb View Post

I was really looking forward to the new ipod touch but now im not going to buy it because the biggest only has 16GB. I think that if apple makes a bigger one, not only me but many other people would buy it.

The reason is because the touch using flash memory (which is logical), everyone expected it and for there to be a bigger model (it would have to be 32GB) it would cost quite a bit more. Flash memory limits are increasing while the prices are dropping, I can guarantee steady capacity increases in the iPod touches memory over the next year.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

The reason is because the touch using flash memory (which is logical), everyone expected it and for there to be a bigger model (it would have to be 32GB) it would cost quite a bit more. Flash memory limits are increasing while the prices are dropping, I can guarantee steady capacity increases in the iPod touches memory over the next year.

Exactly, but also Apple can't make the Touch have a hard drive and] have all those cool animations and 3D things in it because hard drives are WAY slower than flash memory. Have you noticed how the old video iPod seems to lag if you scroll down a list too fast? My nano never lags, because nanos have flash memory.

What would be cool however is if they used some of those half flash, half hard disk drives so we could have nice screen effects and lots of storage...\
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Does the new Phat Nano still work with the Nike stuff?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

Exactly, but also Apple can't make the Touch have a hard drive and] have all those cool animations and 3D things in it because hard drives are WAY slower than flash memory. Have you noticed how the old video iPod seems to lag if you scroll down a list too fast? My nano never lags, because nanos have flash memory.

I'm sure that the indexing could be stored in a small amount of flash or RAM. There is probably potential for optimizations without needing to resort to all flash or a hybrid system with a lot of flash.

Apple may be reusing a lot of existing iPhone part designs with the Touch, though the relocated antenna suggests otherwise. The same is probably true with the iPod too, it's probably just a tweaked design.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Damn, I like the look of the new metal surfaces in those shots. Much, much better than shiny plastic.

I agree that the Classic looks sort of zen-- like a distillation of all the iPods that came before it, and kind of effortless. Maybe it's those rounded edges and matte finish, just really works for me.

And yeah, the Nano looks tons better than I would have thought, although..... how big is that thing? Looks to be twice the width of the old one, and at least as tall.

Anyway, I hope that's a good representation of the shade of green Apple's using, because I may have to pick me up one of them ones.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I think Apple won't be using any product that is white anymore, almost all the products that were previously white are being changed, only thing left is the mouse and airport extreme....
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifiredmyboss.com View Post

Does the new Phat Nano still work with the Nike stuff?

Yes, Steve mentioned that in his pitch, up now at apple.com.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    [Delete]
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

And yeah, the Nano looks tons better than I would have thought, although..... how big is that thing? Looks to be twice the width of the old one, and at least as tall

Nope, it's definitely not as tall (I did a photo comparison using the click wheel as a size reference). It's a bit larger overall because of the width, but not by a whole lot.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

WHY WHY WHY on Earth did they go with shiny aluminum on the back of the new Touch?

Because it shows the scratches and so a year or two from now, people will feel compelled to upgrade? They sure new better than try to pull that shit with the iPhone.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Enough said. See you guys in the Apple store. I'll be the one shelling out for both fatty and touch; Eh...

It really sucks to be an early adopter (fishing expensive habbit) but these ipod models are just adorable...