Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 241 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I did not miss the point of his post. People should choose products based on their utility and value, not how much they cost (in terms of the more the better). If you're choosing something just because it's expensive, that is a shallow decision.

Here's what "pomo" said before you weighed in with the judgment that it was shallow: 'My wife was a big fan of the iPhone. She was saving up to buy an 8gb like the one I purchased with my hard earned money. Now she hates the iPhone thanks to this announcement.'

I don't think that means she was choosing something because it was more expensive. Instead, it means that she saved some hard-earned money, thought she was buying a product that would retain some value and cachet (not unlike, say, jewelry), and it didn't just a few weeks after purchase. She is ticked off.

It may be naive, but it is not shallow.

I do think you entirely missed the point since you were perhaps very eager to slam the post.

Add: You may want to ask and answer for yourself (and then benchmark that with your partner of four years) what the utility and value are of, say, a pair of diamond earrings.
  • Reply 242 of 408
    The great day arrived, Steve was his old turtle-necked water sipping self, people in the audience fell asleep, the day ended, THANK GOODNESS!

Let's just admit it, Apple's little experiment with digital media here is a miserable failure. NBC has fled like they were on fire, the other networks are grumbling, the music providers are unsatisfied, Apple won't rent music, the Zune is better, ....

Apple should just start over and never get involved. They are in waaayyyy over their heads. The only real solution (which I offered to them) was to intergrate the iPod with the Zune, they have apparently shelved this superior technology.

Too Many Choices!

Red, silver, blue, green, white, teal, black, little, big, medium, nano, danno, shuffle, thin, fat, static, video, 4 gig, 8 gig, 16 gig, 80 gig, 160 gig, flash, harddrive, plastic, aluminum, glass, acrylic, touch, wheel, click, tap, drag, .... ARGH! STOP THE MADNESS!

How can a person be expected to wade through this sea of stuff?

You Have a Choice!

Choose Zune - black, white, brown - that's it!

http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com
  • Reply 243 of 408
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Business with Apple in a trusting manner? Apple did not sign a contract with us that promised they would not drop the price of the phone soon after. Those of us who bought it went in knowing what we were doing and just have to suck it up. If you did not feel it was worth that price you should not have bought it.

I don't think the price drop necessarily means sales are slow. It is also a smart strategy to drop prices of a hot selling product it will become hotter. Many people who did not buy an iPhone because of price likely feel so relieved that they will go get one.
  • Reply 244 of 408
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Please, Steve, pull a rabbit out of your hat at the Paris Expo and make them all stop fighting!
  • Reply 245 of 408
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think that means she was choosing something because it was more expensive. Instead, it means that she saved some hard-earned money, thought she was buying a product that would retain some value and cachet (not unlike, say, jewelry), and it didn't just a few weeks after purchase. She is ticked off.

It may be naive, but it is not shallow.

I do think you entirely missed the point since you were perhaps very eager to slam the post.

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree about who missed the point.

If you are wanting to buy an iPhone because it offers features you require/desire, a price drop should make you ecstatic, not turn your love for the product into hate. That she now "hates the iPhone thanks to this announcement" suggests that she wished to purchase the iPhone for some cachet, bragging rights, etc. now that it doesn't cost so much, the iPhone isn't as exclusive. To hate it because of that is shallow IMHO.

Quote:

Add: You may want to ask and answer for yourself (and then benchmark that with your partner of four years) what the utility and value are of, say, a pair of diamond earrings.

utility - low. value - in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, my GF doesn't wear jewelry so the point is moot.
  • Reply 246 of 408
    Yup yup. This is a big sign for things to come.

For certain.

Hopefully a slightly thicker iPhone w/ 80GB @ $699...

If not, at least 16/32GB flash models.

BTW, has Apple put ample resources into converting every youtube clip with over 1000 views?

I also still stand on seperately sold bottom mount expansion packs idea (w/ common periphreal connections) as a tool to drastically expand the iPhone pop appeal.

One analog bottom mount pack (RCA video/audio, keyboard input, charger input)

One digital bottom mount pack (digital video/audio, keyboard input, charger input)

Have the packs contour with the iPhone similar to:

Apple should jump the gun and release the first viable hiptop (iPhone 80GB w/ leopard) already...
  • Reply 247 of 408
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

For all the negative comments here.. please look at what other phone makers do.... like Nokia and Moto... exactly.. they do the same... in the phone business prices drop faster than in any other segment.

True, but does Nokia drop the price by 33% two months after initial release? I thought RAZR prices dropped only after a year or so.

I understand there's an early adopter penalty, but two months/33% is the highest penalty I've personally ever seen in a finished product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Yeah, intellectually people know that but emotionally, they are pissed. I would be.

Soon after i bought my G5, apple announced the move to intel. To say i was upset would be an understatement.

Even now, the G5s are still very capable machines, and they weren't replaced until more than a year after the announcement. Even then, it's not as if the replacement blew the previous generation out of the water right away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TerrinB View Post

Cry baby. Early adaptors of technology know they are paying the extra money to be first with the cool new toy. A price drop by the Christmas buying season was inevitable. Moreover, it is a great sign to see Apple get aggressive with pricing. Many of the people not buying claimed price was the reason. Now it will not be.

Inevitable? I don't remember anyone predicting that the iPhone price would drop for this holiday season. Some people mention a price drop rumor, I guess I missed that one.
  • Reply 248 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

I don't believe I asked for your opinion of me, but since we're sharing personal opinions of each other... You're an asshole. I guess you are just one of those special people who is so much better than me, that you see it as your duty to impose your view upon me by judging me publicly. I hope it made you feel big and powerful. Seriously, who are you to judge? Stick to commenting on the issues that are posted rather than using your internet anonymity/proximity to take cheap shots at someone personally. Did you buy an iPhone? If you did, does this news not sting a little? If you didn't, again I ask, who are you to judge?

Simply feeling like I've been taken by a company that hyped a product to produce imaginary demand for which very little supply constraints ever existed, only to cut the price by 33% just 2 months after release, and expressing my feelings about it, does not make me a whiner. If Apple could sell the phone I purchased at $600 for $400 only 2 months later, and still make a profit that makes the corporate strategy and bottom-line look good to the street, then they were over-charging to the extreme. It's almost like I gave $200 to Apple for nothing in return when they are able, this quickly, to sell the same iPhone to everyone else for only $400. Did something make them realize that at the higher price, the features, and Apple's "cool" quotient, aren't compelling enough to sustain the product beyond initial launch?

It's been just over two months, there have been two bug-fix releases, and I still can't surf reliably with Safari on the iPhone because it crashes nearly every time I use it -- the majority of the crashes being on Apple's own pages. I haven't seen any indication that any of the problems I've noticed have been addressed by the bug-fix releases. I suspect that the second release was simply to add the Web Gallery option to help sell iLife and maybe to support new iWork document formats. I wanted the iTunes Store on my iPhone too, but that's not nearly as important as being able to sync with additional email accounts, such as Outlook/Exchange. Also, features that simply give you easier access to part with your money by putting it in Apple's pockets, such as the Wi-Fi iTS and Ringtone creation in iTunes for an additional fee (you pay twice for the song so you can have an additional 30-second clip of it), are no-brainers for Apple. That just makes sense for them, and thank god, someone has finally brought the price down for ringtones. Phone companies have been ridiculous with their ringtone pricing.

Primarily, what I'd like to see is compatibility with Exchange email servers and improved password security for the locking mechanism, but those are business-related. For consumers, I'd like to see usability features and bug fixes, like:
    • system-wide [text] select, copy/cut, and paste

• multiple photo attachments in emails

• ability to mark an email as junk

• ability to select multiple items, such as email or notes, and delete the selected items all at once.

• disk mode

• Flash support

Almost all of the above features were expected within 2 to 3 weeks of launch based on rumor articles AND analyst comments (analysts that are typically fairly reliable).

But even before any of these new features, I'd like to see more stability and reliability in existing features, such as:
    • a magnifying glass in text fields that is smart enough not to go off-screen, is more responsive, and doesn't have the bug that causes the cursor to disappear inside the glass so that I'll actually know where the cursor is going to land in the text

• more reliable spell-checking/auto-completion (it doesn't quite seem to function fully in all locations in the same manner)

• a Safari client that doesn't crash constantly

• Bluetooth that doesn't pop and crack when I put my phone in my left pocket while the Apple Bluetooth headset is in my right ear (A distance of maybe 3 feet causes a problem when Bluetooth is supposed to work at a distance up to 30 feet? Sometimes at a distance of only 1.5 to 2 feet, just holding it in my hand seems to cause interference.)

And I paid $200 more just weeks ago to have this? If I'd had any idea at all that the price would come down in less than 6 months and more than $50 to $100, I would have waited. That's not whining -- it simply hasn't been on the market long enough to justify this kind of price decrease without making it painfully obvious that they were seriously over-charging for the device. I'd just like to have gotten the same great deal that everyone else is going to get now -- for the same exact product -- no changes at all. I'm not saying I didn't expect an eventual price-drop -- It happens with all products, but usually only after a reasonable amount of time has passed in the product's lifecycle and, historically, Apple lowers prices with new generations of a product. This was just a complete shock.

You said it and you said it with class!!! I agree 100%!
  • Reply 249 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Okay.. you got me, point taken...

So in this case do you feel Apple shouldn't **EVER** drop it's prices?! After all, **someone** will always will have just purchased (whatever) a month or two ago... and will risk upsetting them.

Or should Apple just not do their price drops when it happens to effects you?!

How does your argument fit? No one said that Apple should never improve their product or drop the prices, but this is an extreme change when the product is still very new. I don't think Apple ever dropped prices by this percentage on any given product, never mind this soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Touché!

I was never good in French.

According to the Mac's dictionary, it's only been used in the English language for about four centuries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huerix View Post

That is the nature of technology. Us geeks have known about this kind of thing and dealt with it accordingly. That's why you don't see us running out the door to buy BluRay players for $1000. Already they are much cheaper and it will continue. It is called economies of scale.

A 50% drop over 6 months is actually quite a bit slower.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

New cars drop at least 10% the moment you drive them off the lot... two months later even more.

You haven't read the thread, but depreciation is a different animal vs a change in the list price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

according to all the whining babies on this thread

Stop that. Repeatedly insulting people isn't the way to win arguments or to persuade people. I don't mean to single you out, though I think you did repeatedly do this. There are a lot of people that said similar things, and it's getting tiring.
  • Reply 250 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post
    1. Apple established a bad precedent among consumers. I doubt their next product launch will be as successful.

That's the biggest thing. I'm glad I waited, but I'm continuing to wait. Maybe the next time they introduce a radically different kind of product, people would have forgotten about this. I remember people mentioning Apple only having a particular computer model for a few weeks, it was in the 90's.

Quote:
    • It's pretty safe to assume that they already passed the 1 million iPhone. (Jobs likes to deliver on promises)

I think they usually toot their horn at events like this if they do surpass a milestone quicker than they publicly predicted.

Quote:
    • Where can I get a 4GB phone? I'd like to give to my kid for Christmas?

The 4GB phone is still available in the bargain section on the Apple Store site. You might still find the last of them at the Apple & AT&T retail stores.
  • Reply 251 of 408
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Stop that. Repeatedly insulting people isn't the way to win arguments or to persuade people. I don't mean to single you out, though I think you did repeatedly do this. There are a lot of people that said similar things, and it's getting tiring.

This is not an argument. There is no "debate" here - a bunch of people are whining and crying about something so patently ridiculous they only deserve to be ridiculed. Complaining that their product's price dropped after they bought it. What a bunch of whiners! Tell you what's getting tiring - the crying!
  • Reply 252 of 408
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkovach View Post

My post simply stated that it is Apple's right to do precisely what they did, but it is my right to not do business with them in as trusting a manner. In your previous posts, you said that you do the same thing. I am new to Macs, you are not. Perhaps we both learned the same lesson, but at different times.

Evidence has been provided by both sides regarding historical price decreases, and both sides have valid points. As I stated before, I do feel that some will hold back on purchases, but I'm sure that Apple calculated that most would not regardless of these actions.

Why do you feel the need to tell people how they should feel and act instead of just providing information in an open way where you don't assume that your take on the situation is the only one that is valid? You have valid points and I'm not quite as angry as when the price drop was initially announced, but you are doing your intellectual arguments a disservice by being so rude about it.

I'm not telling people HOW they should feel and act. But, that doesn't preclude myself, and others, from telling them how we feel about their feelings, as they are so eager to share them with us.

I get annoyed with some people at times, and others get annoyed at me. That's what happens here.

Once one person says something that several people jump down their throats over, you would think that others would either not voice that opinion, or would also expect to get jumped upon.

I certainly don't mind people saying that they were surprised, and upset. But, when people start accusing Apple of nefarious things, then that's where I, and others, get upset with them.

There is no reason to believe that Apple did anything other than to decide that they could do this now, and possibly that they should, and maybe even that they had to do this now.

But, when you read the rants, and accusations, well, it's more than going overboard.

I'm known to disagree with Apple's decisions as much as, and possibly more than most. I've been accused of hating Apple!

Most people have taken the word "whining" which several of us have used, to be a prod, but not an actual insult. And that is the way we meant it. But, just one person took it to heart, and struck back. Ok.
  • Reply 253 of 408
    Quote:

This is not an argument. There is no "debate" here - a bunch of people are whining and crying about something so patently ridiculous they only deserve to be ridiculed. Complaining that their product's price dropped after they bought it. What a bunch of whiners! Tell you what's getting tiring - the crying!

Say what you like, but you are very unlikely to persuade with a condescending attitude.

I think it's not a debate largely because people devolved to personal attacks. If people were trying to diffuse the situation, then they failed in a major way. If they were trying to fan the flames, then they got what they wanted.
  • Reply 254 of 408
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Say what you like, but you are very unlikely to persuade with a condescending attitude.

I think it's not a debate largely because people devolved to personal attacks. If people were trying to diffuse the situation, then they failed in a major way. If they were trying to fan the flames, then they got what they wanted.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

Ever buy a pint of strawberries only to go back the next week to find that they're BOGO? Do you protest the store or move on with your life? Some of the people on this thread would clearly do the former, to the delight of mature people everywhere
  • Reply 255 of 408
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

According to the Mac's dictionary, it's only been used in the English language for about four centuries.

It's still French. Do you pronounce it the way we would in English? That would be cache ett.

Quote:

A 50% drop over 6 months is actually quite a bit slower.

Not really that much slower. It's the equivalent of about 4 months drop at the iPods rate.
  • Reply 256 of 408
    Quote:

I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

OK, Mr. Falwell.
  • Reply 257 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by king_rhoton View Post

Apple's US Retail Store price protection policy (from http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_pol...tail_us.html):

"Pricing

Should Apple reduce its price on any Apple-branded product within fourteen (14) calendar days of the date of purchase, you may request a refund of the difference between the price paid and the current selling price. An original purchase receipt is required, and you must request your refund within fourteen (14) calendar days of the price reduction."

Geez! I bought mine from Apple on August 21st. Ad 14 days to that, and you come up to September 4th, ONE DAY SHORT! Guess it's not much different that buying stock. You just never know when to jump in for the best deal.\
  • Reply 258 of 408
    So ? if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset ? why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline ? we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 ? 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and aren?t within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters ? I?m the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17? macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TV?s and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group ? we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way ? there must be a lawyer among us ? shouldn?t there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) ? hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by it?s price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months ? it hasn?t provided any meaningful upgrades that don?t require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATT?s failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks ? we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult ? but as a group we have substantial purchasing power ? simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apple?s product developments) is that Apple has over diversified it?s line up of ipods ? I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales ? the iTouch may sell ? but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when I?m within distance of a wifi connection but don?t use them on the GSM network because it?s painfully slow ? I?ll be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apple?s act of bad faith today

• Reply 259 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Oh, my f*cking god! What is it with all you people who can't wait to jump on here and attack someone else instead of discussing the issue itself? You should certainly be thankful for your internet anonymity 'cause if I were next to you right now, I'd pop you in the mouth.

I did NOT think that $599 was a "bad deal" until today when Apple announced to the world that, yes, it was a bad deal. Lowering the price so significantly indicates that it was dramatically over-priced at launch. Compared to the top of the line iPods and Crackberries, the features, including the incredibly slick, touch-screen interface seemed compelling enough to justify the price. I still struggled with it and had I not had extra money in my checking account from a bonus I received at work, I doubt I could have justified the cost.

There are so many problems with the arguments that this is "normal business practice," or "a price-correction," or "all products eventually decrease in price." Yes of course all of these are true to an extent, but not in such a short amount of time and it is certainly not historically typical of Apple. The time between their product refreshes has been getting longer and longer over the last 2 to 3 years, and historically, price drops on devices in the iPod family occur rarely. Instead, features, usually storage space, are added to justify maintaining the existing price point. There was just no anticipating a move this drastic. I'm mostly over it now, but I'm not over all the rude people in this community that contribute nothing constructive, yet expend excessive energy trying to beat down the thoughts and opinions of other forum posters.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard reading this forum. All those people complaining about the price drop have two issue. First of most of you probably did not have enough money to buy a $600 phone in the first place. Now you wish you had waited. Secondly you must not be happy with your iPhone and don't believe it was worth $600 to begin with. This tells me you bought it for status instead of features.

I stood in line for 2 hours and paid $600. I am not complaining about the price cut but I am very happy for it. Now more people can afford it and enjoy it as much as I have. I think this was a great move and I bought $170K worth of aapl today.
  • Reply 260 of 408
    Quote:

Inevitable? I don't remember anyone predicting that the iPhone price would drop for this holiday season. Some people mention a price drop rumor, I guess I missed that one.

Actually when has Apple ever dropped the price on a current model or anything? I think what most people are use too is the same price until Apple changes specs or models. The last iMac was around for just over a year and it was the exact same price as the day it came out, even the upgrade prices stayed exactly the same.

In a way it does bite for the people that purchased an iPhone but it would also be nice to see Apple price drop more often with their entire line of products, you know kind of like the rest of the world.