Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 261 of 408
    I for one am also pissed off about the $200.00 price drop. I really do feel cheated now, especially since it has only been two months. This sort of thing just does not happen unless a mistake was made to begin with. We early adopters are among Apples biggest fans and do not deserve this slap in the face. Apple, if your reading this, please do something for us, even if it's a $200.00 iTunes gift certificate to make it up to us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Who is extremely pissed off to find out that he overpaid for the 8GB iPhone by $200 only 2 months after it was released?

That would be me! I want a f*ckin' $200 refund! Punish the early adopters. Gotta love that!

Did they have to do this to maintain interest because they haven't released ANY of the feature enhancements that were expected within a few weeks of launch? I'm a f*ckin' sucker!

• Reply 262 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by padrongus View Post

I'm also upset about the price drop but I'm more worried that the 4GB model won't be supported in the same way the 8GB models will be - such as with software updates. Anyone have any ideas on this?

It's the same software.
  • Reply 263 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

I think this was a great move and I bought $170K worth of aapl today.

(hopefully AFTER it dropped 5%)
  • Reply 264 of 408
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

So – if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset – why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline – we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 – 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and aren’t within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters – I’m the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17” macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TV’s and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group – we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way – there must be a lawyer among us – shouldn’t there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) – hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by it’s price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months – it hasn’t provided any meaningful upgrades that don’t require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATT’s failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks – we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult – but as a group we have substantial purchasing power – simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apple’s product developments) is that Apple has over diversified it’s line up of ipods – I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales – the iTouch may sell – but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when I’m within distance of a wifi connection but don’t use them on the GSM network because it’s painfully slow – I’ll be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apple’s act of bad faith today

You would have to find out just how many are that annoyed. There will be some, but most will shrug it off.

By the way, PLEASE use paragraphs. It is hard to read.
  • Reply 265 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You would have to find out just how many are that annoyed. There will be some, but most will shrug it off.

By the way, PLEASE use paragraphs. It is hard to read.

Unfortunately - probably right regarding most shruggin it off - I'm sure Apple very carefully analyzed the numbers and declining sales and even knew that most people wouldn't be out buying product over the long weekend - so that the timing would be good to announce a price drop and lock people in to their higher priced purchases...
  • Reply 266 of 408
    Everybody stop bloody moaning, you sound like little kids who's dummy has been taken away.

Forget the Sales pitch, the marketing and Steve Jobs BS, If you bought an iPhone you never bought a mini computer nor did you buy an iPod, you bought a Phone. If you are going to make a considerable investment in any item it is your own responsibility to try and gain an understanding of the product you are buying and the way in which it is sold, i.e. ignorance is not a defence.

It is well known that you buy a mobile phone within its first few months of release you will pay top dollar for it, it is only after a couple of months and after the early adopters and people with more money than sense have bought theirs that the price comes down to a decent enough level for the general population. If you live in the states and are purchasing a mobile phone then you should know this. Of course it is different in the UK where phones are subsidised by the networks but even there you will find that after a couple of months or so the networks start giving them away for free.

There is no-one to blame but yourselves, in your mad rush to buy a 1.0 device (never a good idea with Apple) and be the first to show it off to your friends you never did your homework so you cannot bitch about it on here.

In the recent posts about class action suits because of the battery replacement fee all the fanbois came out and defended Apple to the hilt saying that the information was in the public domain and people should not sue Apple because of their own failure to do some research before buying an iPhone, oh how the tables have turned!

One thing to come out of this is the amazing news that Apple still have not sold a million phones yet and may not do so by the end of September, that is a far cry from the posts on these forums talking about a million sold in the first week!!
  • Reply 267 of 408
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

ignorance is not a defence.

Speaking of which, it is defense.
  • Reply 268 of 408
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Unfortunately - probably right regarding most shruggin it off - I'm sure Apple very carefully analyzed the numbers and declining sales and even knew that most people wouldn't be out buying product over the long weekend - so that the timing would be good to announce a price drop and lock people in to their higher priced purchases...

I think we have to be careful when we say declining sales. Based on what?

After the feeding frenzy of the first weekend, sales would have narurally declined. But that is true for any product that the public reacts to in that way.

The XBox, WII, and PS3 are good examples. All had feeding frenzies the first day or two, but slowed down since.

Even the hot selling WII has sales that are thought to be lower than what Nintendo could supply?if they wanted to.

The question that none of us have an answer to is whether the sales are holding somewhat steady, or are in a real decline.
  • Reply 269 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by octane View Post

Even if it did apply, $14,000 is the trade-in value, if you were to sell it some two months later you could still get probably closer to $18,000 if it was $20,000 new.

My iPhone wouldn't fetch $300 on eBay now, even unlocked. I paid $650 (including tax) on June 29. That's a >50% depreciation in 9 1/2 weeks.

The equivalent would be buying that Toyota for $20,000, then Toyota says oh, now a new one is $10,000, and yours is worth $8,000, thanks for your business! Someone would get shot in the head.

Or better yet, you buy a Mac Pro for $2499 and two months later you can't give it away for $1100. Would YOU be happy in one of those situations? (and don't say $2500 if more than $600 or $10,000 drop is a lot more than $300. That's obvious, and you've missed the point ENTIRELY)

No no. I seen your point the first time. I just wanted you to compare apples to apples. You were first talking about buying a new car and then its depreciation, which would make it used at that time. And the iPhones were talking about are NEW to NEW, not NEW to USED. Of course your iPhone (since its now used) probably isn't going to get $350, if it were still new then its still worth whatever its going for at the store(obviously).
  • Reply 270 of 408
    I bought mine on Day 1 as well, but there is no sense getting up in arms about this:

-Everybody knew the price would go down, although $100 steps would be more readily expected

-Phone and price were announced months before release. What really happened is that the phone price dropped $200 over about 6 months.

-It's just September now. There's still time for them to release a 16GB 3G phone before christmas for $500!

You never win with technology purchases if you see them as an investment. They are a depreciable asset; hopefully the cost minus the depreciation is equal or greater to the value it has provided you at any point in time.

I'd love to have not spent the $200 originally, but now I can buy another one for the wife at a great savings. Think positive!

As a stockholder, I don't want the iPhone to be some elitist device; I want every college student to want one and be able to afford it with a bit of a stretch. The new price point will do a much better job at increasing the adoption rate.
  • Reply 271 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think we have to be careful when we say declining sales. Based on what?

After the feeding frenzy of the first weekend, sales would have narurally declined. But that is true for any product that the public reacts to in that way.

The XBox, WII, and PS3 are good examples. All had feeding frenzies the first day or two, but slowed down since.

Even the hot selling WII has sales that are thought to be lower than what Nintendo could supply?if they wanted to.

The question that none of us have an answer to is whether the sales are holding somewhat steady, or are in a real decline.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective) we have many legal defenses, particluarly where commitments and promises are made and we act based on those commitments and promises and they aren't fulfilled. I believe Apple opened itself up to risk (and this was a business decision) based on it's choice to dramatically reduce the price of a recently introduced product - particularly when it had made significant promises regarding the device and quick feature improvements.

With respect to my comments regarding sales (note the new paragraph) - I'm simply distilling Company comments (1M shipped by end of Sept (note some significant number of those will be sold at reduced price) and analyst comments regarding views on sales based on sales channel checks. Apple has a stock price, even after a 5% decrease, that is based on aggressive future sales assumptions - reducing the price this significantly, I believe, is an effort to stimulate sales through the end of this month. Given a portion of each sale is deferred because of the underlying ATT contract - such a significant price reduction suggests to me that Apple is trying to make up a huge deficit to planned earnings for the period ending this September.

They also need evidence of increased media delivery device penetratrion (iPhone, iPod) to protect their iTune franchise and avoid defects similar to NBC and Universal.
  • Reply 272 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreggWSmith View Post

can't wait till the 3g 160gig iPhone comes out in December for $399 so all the people buying iPhones in the next few weeks feel as screwed as I do. Bad karma is gonna eat Steve's pancreas.

All I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHA.... BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Reply 273 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Why do we value our own stuff based on how much other people pay for their stuff?

Excellent Question.
  • Reply 274 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I not admitting that at all! Sure the projections change IF and WHEN sales begin in other countries. That's not the point. The point IS that current sales are NOT going to meet their projections. PERHAPS that's a reason for the dramatic price cut in the iPhone.

Apparently I'm not the only one that thinks this.

You actually take note of anything that comes from "The Street"
  • Reply 275 of 408
    [QUOTE=cameronj;1137938]I'm not trying to persuade anyone! Didn't I make that clear? It's like trying to persuade an infant of why they can't have the toy or stay up all night. You simply do what has to be done, there's no discussion. People are actually saying that the fact that other people will be paying less than they did makes them like their purchase less! What morons!

What a weird analogy, do you have children, if so do you not ever discuss things with them and try to alter there mind set with information and reason.

Children may not have the developed brain of an adult but if you relate to them from their point of view, they generally get the point, not withstanding the human condition of always automatically wanting to be right.

I agree about the seemingly overheated reactions of some here but it is there right to voice those opinions and the right of others to respond. I also can understand those who feel wronged and can agree with them, it is the vitriol with which much of the comments are made that irks me.

These things always seem to get so personal.
  • Reply 276 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

For all the negative comments here.. please look at what other phone makers do.... like Nokia and Moto... exactly.. they do the same... in the phone business prices drop faster than in any other segment.

Of course I would have preferred to pay the $399 price, but I knew I was paying a premium for being one of the first to have an iPhone and didn't care then and shouldn't care now.

My exact first thoughts when I read online (coincidentally on my 22 day old iPhone) that the price dropped so quickly was...

ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME!?!?!?

But just about instantaneously... I thought... I hear the new, just released, Verizon LG Chocolate 2 was on sale for $249 for new 2 year agreements one morning on my drive to work, then not ever three weeks later, was available for $99 for a new 2 year agreement.

This is the mobile phone industry. I would be happy to see a credit or compensation of some sort. It would be very classy and unsurprising of Apple to do something like that.

I was a little peeved when I heard that if you are less than 14 days out from your purchase, you could bring your receipt back to get $200 back. I am 22 days out. But, I guess I was a little taken back by Apple's marketing and pricing approach, especially with such a big drop, so quickly. Then I thought, Apple is now a mobile phone manufacturer as well, so why would they not follow the trends of the market?
  • Reply 277 of 408
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

I waited in line two hours on June 29 to get my now-antique 4GB iPhone. I was probably going to buy a new MacBook Pro in the next week or two, but now I just feel screwed. Suddenly my old PowerBook doesn't look so bad. This is going to cost Apple more than $200 in lost business from me.

Then you didn't need to uprade anyway and shouldn't. You should be first and foremost lining your own pockets, not some company's, not even apple. Buy what you need.
  • Reply 278 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcoffman View Post

My 4GB iPhone is being delivered today via Fedex... I just called Apple and they of course offered me the $50 price protection on the purchase. (I bought the 4gig refurb for $399)... and I then told her that since I had already purchased the 4GB refurb, that an equivilant would be the 8GB refurb that they now have in the store for $349.... so she gave me another $50.

So I got an iPhone for $300, and that makes me happy! :-)

Sure I'd love to have the 8gig version and I'll be using every bit of the 4gb that I now have, but I'd rather have the extra cash to spend toward buying Leopard here in a month or two.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my super experience with the Apple Store just now.

Nice but unfortunately the remaining brand new 4gbs are 299 as well, maybe you can call again and get another 25-50 bucks out of them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdcoffman

Apple did just call ME, and said they're giving me a total of $150 refund, which takes my purchase price down to that $300 level, I didn't even have to call them back. I'm still happy though.

Edit: wow they called YOU back and now you got it for 250? That is awesome man.
  • Reply 279 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Speaking of which, it is defense.

Only in USAian is it spelled 'defense'. In English it's 'defence'.
  • Reply 280 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

I think everyone who wants to bitch should like bitch for a day or two more and then move on. Unless you can get your money back (recent buyers).. it's no use obsessing. Go ahead, bitch and then just forget about it. That's how i dealt with my G5 purchase (made a few months before apple announced the intel switch). Still have that G5 btw (paid too much, would be painful to sell at steep discount). Did i mention that experience was the event that caused me to question every apple product price since? (yes, i used to be just like Mel, whatever apple charges was great cause apple would never overcharge us, they are like the mother Theresa of companies). Not only did I bitch, i almost was crying. It was that upsetting to me. Within about 2 months i think (or a little less), my $4,300 purchase was obsolete.

I actually think apple needs to do this a few more times. Apple customers are not smart shoppers. By this, i don't mean we lack intelligence (i for one am a smart person).. by this i meant shop smart. We tend to pay whatever apple demands. No way would a windows user pay whatever Dell demands. They'd shop around first!. Apple is the only game in town for apple products so it's difficult to shop around but we don't ask questions. I've never seen an apple faithful ever question apple prices, it's always being defended. I know why. For many years, the PC people put out propaganda that apple computers were expensive and therefore, people should buy windows computers. Apple faithful have been defending apple so long, that now, it's automatic for every product. It's an instinctive reaction. By always defending apple pricing, we have become dumb shoppers (smart people, but not shop smart). We have lost the ability to critically analyze apple prices to figure out if it makes sense. We trust apple and assume they would never overcharge and even if they did, it was a small premium for an exclusive product. $200 is definitely not a small premium.

I think that is why a lot of people are upset. No one likes to feel like they have been taken for a ride and have been duped. Apple does this a few more times, we all will stop making excuses for this company and become smart shoppers. Sure, you cannot shop around (only 1 company makes the iphone) but you can tell apple the price is not sweet by staying away from overpriced products. If apple wanted your business, they will then lower the price to whatever you felt was reasonable (and btw, free is not reasonable. It's ok to pay a bit more for apple stuff but make sure it's not a whole lot more).

Some people that buy apple stuff do smart shop. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is 15 or 15,000 dollars, if it doesn't do what you want and you can't afford it you shouldn't buy it.

That's what mel is saying {I think only he can really say).

The iPhone came out offering something you wanted, it was offered at a price you could pay, you paid it. That is what happened.

That's normal.

There are 3 camps when it comes to buying things:

1. People who want something and have the money (of which you are a member)

2. People who want something and do not have the money, or do but it is better spent on other things (of which I am a member)

3. People who do not want something whether not they have the money (of which Mel is a member)

iPhone releases camp 1 buys until camp 1 is filled.

How do we sell to camp 2?

iPhone drops price camp 2 buys until camp 2 is filled.

How do we sell to camp 3?

New iPhone model with new features or storage is released.

Now who was smart?

Camp 1 was smart because they bought what they wanted and could easily afford it.

Camp 2 was smart because they bought when they could.

Camp 3 was smart because they bought when it became appealing to them.

That makes you a smart shopper, the only way you'd be a dumb shopper is if you bought outside of your camp. From the sounds of what you wrote you bought within your camp, price drops shouldn't effect you.

What would you be saying if prices didn't drop?

1. I like my iPhone

2. I paid to much for my iPhone

If you're saying #2 then your not a smart shopper, if you're saying #1 then you are a smart shopper who is a whiner.

It's a $200 price drop, we get it, it sucks, but if it's THAT huge to you, you probably never should have bought one that early anyway.