Apple slashes 8GB iPhone price to $399, 4GB model to fade

Comments

• Reply 281 of 408
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuitCrying View Post

Why are people upset. Apple didnt force you to buy the iPhone when it came out. Apple is a company that produces product that attracts the eye. If you bought one before the price drop, you was attracted to it. So what if Apple did it TWO MONTHS afterwards, its their product and their company, and theres nothing you can do about it. If they wanted to drop the price two week afterwards I'm sure they would have. If seem all people do is complain but yet YOU STILL BUY THE PRODUCTS!!!

You much have made that screen name months ago waiting for today.
  • Reply 282 of 408
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

You much have made that screen name months ago waiting for today.

lol, i noticed that as well! prescience!!
  • Reply 283 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

Who is extremely pissed off to find out that he overpaid for the 8GB iPhone by $200 only 2 months after it was released?

That would be me! I want a f*ckin' $200 refund! Punish the early adopters. Gotta love that!

Did they have to do this to maintain interest because they haven't released ANY of the feature enhancements that were expected within a few weeks of launch? I'm a f*ckin' sucker!

I just don't understand why you all are so frustrated - I bought an iPhone for 599 because i thought it's worth it, and i don't regret it. And guys don't forget it's a PHONE. I have seen larger price drops on contract phones happening in the past... like from $300 to $50 sometimes. And these were happening also few months after introduction.
  • Reply 284 of 408
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RayCon View Post

Geez! I bought mine from Apple on August 21st. Ad 14 days to that, and you come up to September 4th, ONE DAY SHORT! Guess it's not much different that buying stock. You just never know when to jump in for the best deal.\

They'll probably still give it to you if you push hard enough.
  • Reply 285 of 408
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I don't get why people think this move is so outrageous. Whenever Apple drops a lower end model, they almost always move the pricing of the next model up DOWN to the price of the deleted model. My guess is a 16GB iPhone is coming soon to replace the higher price point.
  • Reply 286 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alek_2 View Post

When they show up here in Canada they going to cost $99 Too bad for early adopters...

Assuming you mean a new one and not one that has been run over by a car, and then refurbished using parts by another one that was run over by a bus... you and I shall dream on... for dreams is what they shall stay for a long, long time after they hit this country, if ever. \

We shall not speak of the dream of having affordable data rates...
  • Reply 287 of 408
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

I?m the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17? macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TV?s and, of course, an iphone.

And you're pissed about $200

Quote:

Think about it this way ? there must be a lawyer among us ? shouldn?t there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) ? hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by it?s price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months ? it hasn?t provided any meaningful upgrades that don?t require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATT?s failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks ? we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on.

You have got to be kidding me! You couldn't make this stuff up. Your contract with AT&T is two years. Two years is not yet up. Only if no features have been added after that time period to you even start to have a leg to stand on.
  • Reply 288 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I for one am also pissed off about the $200.00 price drop. I really do feel cheated now, especially since it has only been two months. This sort of thing just does not happen unless a mistake was made to begin with. We early adopters are among Apples biggest fans and do not deserve this slap in the face. Apple, if your reading this, please do something for us, even if it's a $200.00 iTunes gift certificate to make it up to us.

You feel cheated? Has yesterday's announcement somehow physically altered the iPhone you bought? Did Apple drag you into a store and force you to buy an iPhone?
  • Reply 289 of 408
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

And you're pissed about $200

It's probably the principle of the thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You feel cheated? Has yesterday's announcement somehow physically altered the iPhone you bought? Did Apple drag you into a store and force you to buy an iPhone?

Cheating can be neither of the two things that you described. Of course they didn't alter the phone, or force people to buy it, and no, Apple doesn't owe people after the transaction other than warranty and software updates, but I still think that this kind of change can easily put people in a bad mood.
  • Reply 290 of 408
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have supported my contention. What are you saying? Are you niow denying that Jobs himself said that this would be entering Europe late this year, and Asia the first half of next year? Because that's fact. You know that's fact. We all know that's fact.

Perhaps negotiations with the European carriers aren't going well. I don't know and I doubt you do as well. What if European sales don't begin until next summer (because of unresolved carrier negotiations)?

I will conceded that it's possible that Apple dropped the price to make it difficult for a competitor to introduce a similar product. I can't ever recall a company doing a similar move when they had a product that was meeting expectations.

Price drops like we just witnessed on the iPhone are almost always associated with disappointing sales.
  • Reply 291 of 408
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Greetings: Apple has offered a $200 rebate to purchaces in the last two weeks. They also anounced that the 4GB iPhone would be available ffor $299 while supplies last.

I am a bit concerned as an investor that the price drop seems a bit panicky. Realities, however, suggest that the increased cost efficiencies of components due to the iPod touch might be helping. But here is a thought: the iPhone has not had a single stumble - there has been no $$$$ recall for cracked screens, exploding batteries, etc. Many of us thought that would be the case. Perhaps Apple built in a little $$ safety net on the first batch.

Lastly, I bought a Razor in February '06 from VZ. The cost was $299. Within two months the cost dropped to $99, and I was told "Sorry". Steve says "That's Technology" [USAToday]: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...bs-qanda_N.htm
  • Reply 292 of 408
    First of all, I do feel for those early adopters. My brother was one of them. He's a little steamed but still will say the iphone is worth anything, really. I just purchased an 8gb off the refurb store for $350. $370 w/tax shipped.
  • Reply 293 of 408
    <Original Quote>: Originally Posted by Duddits: Why do we value our own stuff based on how much other people pay for their stuff? <Unquote>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Excellent Question.

Not really.

Ever tried to sell a house? Stock? A car? Anything?
  • Reply 294 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not really.

Ever tried to sell a house? Stock? A car? Anything?

There's a difference between price and value, you know.
  • Reply 295 of 408
    the day has come and then passed. The $200 drop does still bug me but it does not change my life in anyway other than the lost faith in a previously trusted brand. I do agree with the last post that Apple does not owe us anything but the reverse is true also. My iPOD's are just MP3 player's now, my MacBookPro just a computer, my iPhone just a damn phone that needs more function, my Mac Mini will be a door stop, and the Apple Brand just another company that will take advantage of your purchasing dollar given the chance.

I supported Apple not because the products only but because I delighted in an American Brand doing great design and creating a community around its products. in essence counter cultural. I thought their marketing ability was excellent and they were an underdog company I wanted to see win. Yes, if they want to behave like all other large entities, they should be treated as such. The $200 only matters to me as principle. I pay lots of money for products I like. Hell, I buy Bang and Olufsen and they are highly overpriced! Apple for me WAS different but they lost me on this move.

Now they are just a company to me whose products I will now buy on price as one does with commodities. A corporation always has the right to change their pricing, that I cannot deny. They lost me as a loyalists and I wil no longer tout their brands to my other friends. We are in the software business and I had been an evangelist for Apple. One can lose loyalty for $200 and when you burn early adapters. Should I buy another Apple Product, it will be based on price and I no longer give a damn about fortunes of the company. Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer beware....

Anyone want to buy some used Apple Products?
  • Reply 296 of 408
    Quote:

So ? if the group that paid $499 or $599 is really upset ? why not act together to show apple our frustration. Assuming we had the discipline ? we could not purchase any new apple products for 12 ? 18 months. Presumably, the 300,000 or so of us that acquired iPhones and aren?t within the window to obtain a refund are mostly early adopters ? I?m the owner of a variety of mac products including a g5 iMac, intel core duo imac, core2duo 17? macbook pro, many airport expresses, several airport extremes, a mac mini, each generation of ipod (including a nano and a shuffle), several apple TV?s and, of course, an iphone. If we exercise our power as a group ? we might get more respect from Apple. Think about it this way ? there must be a lawyer among us ? shouldn?t there be a legal argument under a construct of bad faith that apple and ATT violated their commitments and promises to us by not introducing promised upgrades (based on public statements by Apple and ATT to be distributed shortly after the introduction of the iPhone) ? hence, allowing us to void our contracts with ATT with no further obligation for a contract breakage fee? Apple has demonstrated by it?s price decrease today that the period to meet commitments is something less than 3 months ? it hasn?t provided any meaningful upgrades that don?t require a separate purchase (new iLife). Probably a smart lawyer among us could develop a legal basis for canceling our contracts with ATT even without Apple and ATT?s failure to meet their promises of service and device upgrades, given we paid in full for our devices and received no other meaningful consideration from ATT in exchange for entering into our contracts. If 300,000 (or even 170,000 of us) cancel our ATT contracts and acquire the hack to use the devices on other networks ? we would demonstrate the organized power of the consumer and gain some attention given the lost revenue to ATT and Apple would be a multiple of the contract commitments that they failed to meet their commitments on. Of course, our nature as early adopters, suggests the discipline to punish Apple for a year or more is difficult ? but as a group we have substantial purchasing power ? simply aggregate our ATT contract commitments for two years times some number between 170k and 300k. My own view (which is that of a layman, but close follower of Apple?s product developments) is that Apple has over diversified it?s line up of ipods ? I doubt the hard disk ipod will garner much in new sales ? the iTouch may sell ? but not if they introduce a 3G iPhone in the next 60 days (which is of course what all of us would not be able to resist). My own experience is that I use the extended features of the iPhone when I?m within distance of a wifi connection but don?t use them on the GSM network because it?s painfully slow ? I?ll be much more upfront about this with other potential consumers given Apple?s act of bad faith today

Funny. You want legal redress over this "situation" on the one hand, then on the other you talk about "hacking" the iPhone, which is quite possibly illegal. That said, I don't know what state you live in and/or where you purchased your phone, such that a particular state's law might apply. In Florida, your "claim" would likely fail. Granted, there probably is a lawyer somewhere in this state (or any other) who has a mortgage payment to make and who would love to file such a lawsuit. With over 54,000 practicing attorneys in Florida, I'm sure you could find one.

In reality, your cause of action for breach of contract premised upon your frustration and disappointment would likely fail (as no such cause of action exists). Bad faith? No. As I mentioned in a prior post on this thread, I too purchased the iPhone (on the day of launch). I'm a little upset that the thing is already $200 less, but I'm not ready to storm the corporate headquarters of Apple. I got what I paid for. I could afford it. I made that decision. I'm still happy with it. I understand that some are quite upset, and they should be allowed to vent. However, if someone remains extremely upset, then stop buying Apple products.

But, when people start threatening suits for this crap (and for things like the iPhone battery), that's when things have gone too far. I'm not going to restate all of the arguments that have been made (on either side). All have valid points. For those that are still upset by this price drop, take it as another lesson learned. You really need to keep a close and watchful eye on Apple. Steve Jobs is a marketing genius, and that's primarily what he is about.

So, don't believe all of the stuff that comes out of his mouth....he's purely trying to move product. Just listen to his presentation yesterday (or the one in January regarding the iPhone). He's over-hyping Apple's products. That's his job.

Again, everyone is entitled to be frustrated by the recent move, but a lawsuit? Frivolous and, unfortunately, typical. A rebate? No, but Apple may want to consider something, as this is pretty bad P.R. for them, and will likely cause some to not be loyal customers, and/or Apple may lose some of those "switchers."

You know, it is funny that you set forth your proposal for a lawsuit and why you are upset, but then you mention that Apple will likely come out with a new 3G iPhone in 60 days, which you will not be able to resist? If your prediction is true, are you going to sue Apple for that as well, or is this change (and seeming obsolescence of your phone) well past the acceptable deadline of four months from the iPhone's first launch?
  • Reply 297 of 408
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Why doesn't Apple drop $200 off of their ridiculously high priced computers...

I have said it once and I will say it again. Apple is all about gouging its customers. Almost every aspect of their business reflects this. Yay for corporate profits.

Apple is serious need of competition....
  • Reply 298 of 408
    Like most of you I was upset about the price drop. I have been an apple user for many years and spend thousands a year on apple products. Hey they would not even offer EPP pricing for the iPhone. NO DICOUNTS! Last week a friend of ours got us our third iPhone using his Friends and Family discount and that is the one that hurts. The F&F discount is not as big as the 33% price drop. Bummed and upset, I went back to the Apple store that sold me my 2 iPhones on July 1, 2007. After talking to the manager, he gave me a gift card worth $431 for the price difference on the two I bought there.

I think I am one of the lucky ones. Facts are that the iPhone is the best smart phone out there. It was worth the $600 each I shelled out on my wifes birthday. Knowing how technology is, a better and cheaper iPhone will be in our future and I will be one of the first ones to buy one.

Facts are that if you bought the iPhone within the last 14 days you can demand a price adjustment. If you have had the phone for longer, it is up to the store manager to see if he will help you.

For what it is worth, the closest Apple store near me told me too bad and I shop there all the time.

Good luck to all. Worst case for everyone is to enjoy the best phone & ipod ever. Yes the iPhone with its speaker is better than the iPod touch.
  • Reply 299 of 408
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrightm View Post

Funny. You want legal redress over this "situation" on the one hand, then on the other you talk about "hacking" the iPhone, which is quite possibly illegal.

The proposed lawsuit is silly.

Modifying something you own isn't illegal. There was some question on whether you can sell the modification, but the answer is apparently yes, but that doesn't mean that AT&T can't try to sue you to poverty for trying.
  • Reply 300 of 408
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The proposed lawsuit is silly.

Modifying something you own isn't illegal. There was some question on whether you can sell the modification, but the answer is apparently yes.

That's an overly broad statement. How would he hack it? On his own, or using software sold to him by someone else? I'm not sure the latter is completely legal, despite certain folk surmising that it is "possibly" legal. My point is that the legality of hacking the phone is still in a gray area and thus somewhat dubious. Yet, the poster is equally ready (or, at least, eager) to file a lawsuit claiming what Apple has done (price drop) is trampling on his rights such that he deserves legal redress--when it is clear that what Apple has done is entirely legal and has NOT committed any tort upon the poster (despite his frustration).