Marketing Brilliance

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Many many users tell the story of how they were wronged today by Apple's marketing choices, but not one has any follow through. This post is directed at the crazy ones. Literally.

You seem to think pretty highly of yourself. Sitting there, taking credit for creating such an iPhone "buzz" in the market. Don't you think the brilliant marketing campaign had something to do with it? You may have helped create a relatively small buzz amongst your peers before it was sold, but your few influential demos of the iPhone are of almost zero significance in the grand scheme. Apple had people lined up at their stores on the day it went on sale. You had nothing to do with that. I influenced people to buy the device as well, but do I actually say I created a "buzz"? No, I'm not that self-serving.

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this but: did you skip out on microeconomics? I mean, I'm embarrassed because you seem like a smart guy. So maybe you slept through the class when the definition of "caveat emptor" was laid out. Let the buyer beware? Does that ring a bell? I'm also assuming you were sick when the class discussed supply and demand? I only think this because you don't seem to realize that today's relaxing of the price perfectly exemplifies how supply and demand works.

The other topic you seem to be hung up on is Apple's loyalty to it's customer. I love Apple, but I don't see how their frequent littering of my email inbox with reminders of their new products attests to their loyalty as a company to me. Where are you getting this perceived loyalty from? That said, a question arises: How did Apple's price drop today change their loyalty to you the buyer? Doesn't this price drop make Apple more loyal to the entire customer market?

Some of you are going to get your credit card company to help right this "wrong" and try to make a merchant's life "miserable". You want to sic American Express on Apple? Apple already has in place people that deal with annoyances like you, and can you tell me what happens to the cost of having to hire that department? It gets figured into the products you buy from Apple! So we're all paying for Apple to have a line of defense against you and your ilk. Thanks for helping out the consumer, buddy!

It's obvious that you are set in your ways and I'm not going to convince you otherwise, but what Apple did today was open the door to many more people who otherwise would not be able to afford the iPhone. Think of it. Many more people will start to enjoy this wonderful handheld device.

What a wonderful day for the consumer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Matt,

interesting points and you are correct in caveat emptor. Yes, not only was I paying attention in Microeconomics but I ended up majoring in it. Your points are well made from the economist point of view. Now, if you transfer over to your marketing hat, you will indeed see the move in a brilliant light. I posture however that this move still has to stand the test of time. It is difficult to assess the loyalty erosion at this point but it does have a value. Goodwill in accounting terms took a hit and now many including traders on wallstreet will look at Apple with a jaundiced view. I know I surely will. I buy products out of want and not out of need. Therefore it allows me the opportunity to be fickle and selective. I will not be selecting at a premium, any more Apple products. If they are price competitive with others I may buy but if feature for feature they do not win, I will not longer select them. Apple I think lost sight of what truly propels their buyers. It is a love for the company and brand far more than just the products. There are excellent other MP3's out there. It is time to give those products more of an honest chance.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    In an era of corporate transparency and little brand equity Apple has strength in its brand. The issue comes down to this: Is Apple willing to do something for the customers that purchased the iPhone and have propelled its sales and earnings? Yes it is buyer beware but brands have to do more to keep loyal customers.

Apple has brand equity that most brands would kill for..their customers BLOG and post messages about their keyboards and mice but if Apple is going to continue to make inroads as a brand it has to think beyond current brand metrics and go the step beyond. I purchased the iPhone and I am upset that the price has dropped has $200. That is $200 more I could have had in my pocket for more itune songs or external hardware. Great brands don't treat customers like this.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post

In an era of corporate transparency and little brand equity Apple has strength in its brand. The issue comes down to this: Is Apple willing to do something for the customers that purchased the iPhone and have propelled its sales and earnings? Yes it is buyer beware but brands have to do more to keep loyal customers.

Apple has brand equity that most brands would kill for..their customers BLOG and post messages about their keyboards and mice but if Apple is going to continue to make inroads as a brand it has to think beyond current brand metrics and go the step beyond. I purchased the iPhone and I am upset that the price has dropped has $200. That is $200 more I could have had in my pocket for more itune songs or external hardware. Great brands don't treat customers like this.

You're right IF there are a lot of people pissed off. Certainly on the boards it looks like a lot because, for the most part, they are the ones motivated to write. I'm clearly not one of those pissed off and don't believe Apple owes me anything. I've had the use of the iPhone for the first two months and I paid for that privilege. So what. I would rather them lower the price and sell more so there is more reason for them to pay attention to the segment, than to keep the price high just to 'keep me happy'. That would be a ridiculous action. I have no reason, nor information, to support any contention that they were 'price gouging' at the beginning.

On the whole the reaction on these forums has been pretty balanced, meaning just as many people saying "so-what" as "i'm pissed". Given the general tendency for moaners to far outweight non-moaners in these cases that tell's me this really isn't much of a problem for Apple as a percentage of their customer base, even their 'loyal' customer base.