Wu: Apple's "fatboy" nano could be this holiday's dark horse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    "Fatboy Slim" sounds better I think. Famous artist too!
  • Reply 22 of 84
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

What I find hard to stomach is the fact that Steve Jobs has no problem calling NBC "greedy" for wanting 2x the current wholesale price of current episodes on the iTunes store, yet, Apple is un-willing to compensate for the $200 price gouge that they've imposed on their most loyal customer base over the past 60 days for the iPhone.

It's evident that Apple can still make a decent profit at the $399 price-point, so why not restore the good-will of these early adopters and offer a $200 store credit?

A 34% price cut in 60 days is un-precedented, even in the fast moving technology world. Furthermore, in a similar situation, Apple offered early adopters of Aperture a $200 voucher after they slashed the price from $499 to $299.

Why is Apple milking it's early iPhone adopters considered "just business," but NBC is considered "greedy."

Could you at least take your whining to a thread that has something to do with the iPhone.

EDIT: oops... sorry. There is an iPhone price reference, so whining is probably ok. Proceed.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Always good to hear from Shaw Wu.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

NAND can't fully support my desires.

No comments, just:
  • Reply 25 of 84
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Anyone buying a nano (earlier) wasn't to concerned about video anyway. Seriously, who wants to watch a video on a dinky screen? The iPod classic is STILL to small for me.

As far as I am concerned the nano was for music ONLY!!! If you want video, get a portable DVD player, or perhaps the iPod touch.

I

On the other hand, a 2" screen is actually kinda nice for pictures.

Frankly, I was prepared to hate the iChubby. But the darned thing is growing on me to the point where I'm actually having to decide between it and the Touch.

It'll come down to which (if either) support disk mounting and sound recording.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Hmmm...isn't "fatboy" a registered trademark of Harley-Davidson?

I prefer "phatboy" or "phatty" myself. Of course, it is one of the thinnest if not the thinnest iPod's ever, so the name is somewhat of misnomer. It's basically as wide as it needs to be to fit a 2" screen. Given that it is $50 less than its predecessor and has all the video features of the iPod classic, it's a no brainer if you want a flash-based MP3 player and blows away the competition for feature/price value. If you want a real fatty, check out the Zune, http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/zune30gb/default.htm.

As far as the price on the iPhone, get over yourself. New technology goes down in price. Amazon.com drops price on electronics every day, and guess what they don't match their own price if they do, even if you bought it the day before. For example, half the Blu-ray and HD DVDs I buy are now cheaper only a few weeks later (so is the PS3 and XBox HD DVD player for that matter only a few months later) so I'm out several hundred bucks, but hey, that's bleeding edge technology for you, and I expected it going in. Also, if you bought it in the last 14-days from the Apple Store or AT&T, they'll refund the $200. Anyways, be happy for all the people who can now enjoy it, and be honest with yourself, because you're just going to spend $599 again to go buy the 16GB 3G when it comes out in the spring.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:

Proportionally the Fatboy is just plain ugly. Like my wife said, "It's like a man who doesn't look good in any suit."

Is an iPod still a fashion statement?
  • Reply 28 of 84
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gator View Post

Is an iPod still a fashion statement?

Yes it is. LOL
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Would you rather have a fatboy nano or the last generation skinny-boy nano? I have the skinny and without video playback, it makes the fatboy look good.

I'd rather have the skinny nano. People loved it for it's small, narrow size. Who in their right mind wants to watch video on such a tiny screen. The iPod video screen was too small as it was, now they are offering an iPod with a smaller screen? C'mon. Stupid, stupid. This is as lame as when Apple killed off the iPod mini.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

Anyone buying a nano (earlier) wasn't to concerned about video anyway. Seriously, who wants to watch a video on a dinky screen? The iPod classic is STILL to small for me.

I guess you can't hold that much video anyway. The other mistake was the iPod touch coming with only 16GB!!!!! Why didn't they use HDD instead?

Sorry, I am just venting. I do know my comments are all over the map. <grunt>

Couldn't agree with you more !

Why the hell should i choose the iPod touch instead of the iPhone .. !?!?

There's nothing trully better .. ..what like ?!? 2 mm thinner c'mon who cares !? and

only 8 gb more space ..

They should've used HDD !

but on the other hand , now the iPod touch is a powerfull feedback device . .for the iPhone future,.. think about that !
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Apple is notorious for charging a premium for "top tier" products and early adopters. You should have known this. If you can't afford to play this game with Apple, then you shouldn't buy their products....

All electronic manufacturers do this. My plasma is now cheaper than when I bought it on fathers day, the ps3 is cheaper, x box 360 ecetera and ecetera.

People who are really upset over this should just avoid electronic purchases. This happens all the time.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    I'll admit the features and price are compelling but it looks ugly to me. Maybe they look cooler in person. The photos look unflattering to me.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by initiator View Post

I'd rather have the skinny nano. People loved it for it's small, narrow size. Who in their right mind wants to watch video on such a tiny screen. The iPod video screen was too small as it was, now they are offering an iPod with a smaller screen? C'mon. Stupid, stupid. This is as lame as when Apple killed off the iPod mini.

Yeah and the Nano became a even bigger hit. We need to wait and see before we bash the product.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Life's tough. I'm one of those people who bought an iPhone in the first week. I understand very well that there's a potential penalty for being a first-adopter, and this is one of them. Everybody knew the price would drop (though maybe not this quickly). Meh. I know a couple of people who are gonna laugh like a donkey because they waited. But I've enjoyed my iPhone quite a bit and don't regret not having waited.

I agree with you. Technology moves fast and competition is hard. Get over it ya whiners.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:

Hmmm...isn't "fatboy" a registered trademark of Harley-Davidson?

Apple's not using the term. Besides, I suggested "Fatso"... sounds more like "nano".
  • Reply 36 of 84
    a brief interlude from all the pontificating: but why do people (as mr. wu does repeatedly) use the phrases "form factor" and "price points" when "design" and "price" would serve just as well?? every time i hear "form factor" or "price point" it makes me think of some using what i'll call "verbal inflation," i.e. an effort to fill a space reserved for analysis with fluff.

now, perhaps one of you mensa members out there can provide me with an explanation for why it's better to use, in this case, two words rather than one. otherwise, just stick to design or shape and price or cost.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eodchop View Post

I am a loyal loyal apple and mac user. I have bought one of every major release of hardware in the last 6 years. I understand that the price of the iphone needed to be dropped, but i still cant help but feel that i have been stabbed in the back. I bought 2 iphones, 2 cases and 2 car chargers a month and a half ago and spent 1300 dollars. I cannot believe i was stiffed out of 400 bucks. I second the motion for store credit. This is BS.

I'm sorry, but you are a perfect example of the kind of consumer I consider, for lack of a nicer word, and idiot. You shelled out $1300 on fancy new toys as soon as the product was available, yet you resent future price drops? You get what you pay for, WHEN you pay for it, and YOU are responsible for YOUR money and how you spend it. If prices for that item drop, even precipitously, after you made your purchase, it only proves you are an impulsive and imprudent consumer who should be more thoughtful about their purchasing decisions in the future. If there is any blame to be had, it's all yours ? you spent unwisely in order to be the first kid on the block with a new toy.

Not trying to be mean, just give you some tough love.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

I'm glad to see the price reduced, but I think that customer frustration and investor confusion suggests that Apple's pricing was not executed very well.

I totally agree with this statment. I bought an iPhone about a month ago as soon as my contract with Verizon expired. I love, love, love, my iPhone and have no regrets; it's the best phone I've owned so far. But I do understand the frustration of the "early adopters". $200 is a big drop in price from the initial launch and I think those who are easy to call these frustrated buyers a bunch of whiners or losers and deserving of getting ripped off for not waiting should remember that these early buyers are responsible for helping Apple succesfully launch this product.

It's not fair to compare this situation with a car that depreciates after you drive it off the lot or your Mac being upgraded within weeks of your purchase. This is the same iPhone that was $599 on June 29th. It was a totally unexpected price cut in such a very short time. I can't recall any other time Apple has done something like this with any other product including the iPod.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I felt I had to post this because I have been reading many forums since yesterday regarding this issue and the name calling and viciousness of the comments have been dissappointing to me as a long-time Mac user. My "techie" co-worker who always has to have the latest electronic gadgets and never complains about anything was pretty disappointed yesterday. That tells me quite a bit about how this whole thing is playing out. Remember again, the early adopters helped make the iPhone a success for Apple so far.

Peace,

Marcus
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobius32us View Post

a brief interlude from all the pontificating: but why do people (as mr. wu does repeatedly) use the phrases "form factor" and "price points" when "design" and "price" would serve just as well?? every time i hear "form factor" or "price point" it makes me think of some using what i'll call "verbal inflation," i.e. an effort to fill a space reserved for analysis with fluff.

Ahmen, brother!
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobius32us View Post

now, perhaps one of you mensa members out there can provide me with an explanation for why it's better to use, in this case, two words rather than one. otherwise, just stick to design or shape and price or cost.

It's Wu-Speak.