Jobs says Apple won't offer refunds to early iPhone adopters

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169
    I don't buy "If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology." from Steve Jobs. As someone already pointed out, cell phone industry works differently than electronic devices like iPods. You can't set a target of selling 10 million units within a few years and still make customers pay $600 for it.

Most new cell phones drops in prices within 6-months, which often comes with deeper discounts and refunds if you are switching from another company. I don't think Jobs and Apple work out their business plan completely when they thought selling a $600 phone is a great idea. By slicing $200 off now, they are making it more appealing. It seems to me they are pulling a SONY and would rather make less per unit or even loss in order to gain market share to reach their target.

Smart phones are here to stay but not at $600, nor $400. Sit tight and expect to see this thing drop to at least $200 within the next 6-9 months. Apple may have a great product on their hand but they are testing a market they never deal with before.
  • Reply 42 of 169
    Here's a lil' tip.

Telco's hate the idea they "might" lose customers. They stand to lose far more than 200 bucks in cancelation fees if people start bailing on their 2 year contracts.

So, do what I did. Call AT&T and ask for a credit to your account. I got 75.00 in instant credit PLUS 500 rollover minutes. About 100 bucks worth of gracis from Apple's partner's pockets (depending on how you want to dice and slice the value of minutes - but at 450 minutes at peak-rate being the standard plan - 500's not bad). Now this isn't an official deal and it's on an individual basis so you have to take your chances. Still I'm sure AT&T is going to be sending some love letters to Cuppertino soon.

Of course many decent credit cards also offer 90 days buyer protection. Oops - was that iPhone only 66 days old? Oh NOSIES! Looks like Visa / Amex / MC / Discover might have some feedback coming Apple's way too.

Next, even if the Apple store wants to hit you with a restocking fee, making them squirm in person within 14 days for mucho more bucks is also fun. And if it's an AT&T store - even better! In most states 30 days return for cell-phones are standard.

Lastly, once you unlock your iPhone with not one but TWO software solutions - you can always recoup those losses auctioning your "myPhone" on eBay. Naturally, Apple AND AT&T would love you to pieces if you did that. Because if it's a marketshare-for-dollars game Apple is playing based on subscription revenue - those dollars heading to T-Mobile will certainly make their day bright.

Remember be polite - try to throw in some sympathetic humor with the poor schmuck on the phone, and most of all have fun!
  • Reply 43 of 169
    I trusted Apple to set a fair price, and now I feel like they made a fool of me by dropping that price 33% in just 10 weeks.

I will NEVER buy another new Apple product at launch and NEVER purchase another MP3 or video from iTunes again. I'll look elsewhere for my music and movies.

All my goodwill toward this company was erased very quickly. I've spent thousands on computers and equipment at the Apple store this year alone, and they've really given me a terrible feeling.
  • Reply 44 of 169
    "Many of Apple's most loyal customers are feeling taken by the company after it announced an unprecedented 33 percent price cut on its iPhone handset after just two months on the market..."

So, what is the source of your premise, that so many of these early iPhone buyers who are now complaining about the price cut count themselves among Apple's "most loyal"? Have you recently conducted a scientifically valid survey to establish this claim?

In fact, it's been estimated* that 30% of these early buyers are new to Apple and half had never owned an iPod. So what exactly does "most loyal" signify for the remaining 70%? That they'd purchased more than one Apple product in their lifetimes? That they had been with Apple since their first Mac Plus? (That would include me.) That they spent more than $2,000 annually on Apple products? That they referred Apple to everyone they met?

Anyway, I hardly believe that the early buyers bought an iPhone because they were loyal to Apple. They bought the iPhone for many other reasons, including the cool factor, its intrinsic genius, and/or because they had money to burn. I didn't buy one right away because I chose to wait and see. Anyone who truly bought an iPhone to support Apple should perhaps be forgiven. Those four or five people should make all efforts to advance their case to Mr. Jobs. The rest of them should just get over the price cut and focus instead on the reason(s) they have an iPhone in their pocket.

It's this kind of sloppy, unqualified journalism that skews the news. I'm not just faulting you, AI... many other news services are using the same kind of loaded language in following this story. The real story may just be that so many unhappy customers are taking advantage of the web to advance their personal agendas.

Me? I've owned more than 20 Apple products, including the first iPod, Macs, displays, printers and more. I own the latest MacBook Pro, a 5G video iPod and, as of yesterday, an 8 GB iPhone.

* Interpret, July 2007

Michael Moretti

Napa Valley, CA
  • Reply 45 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

You lost everyone after that. I'm glad you're out 200 bucks. Literally joyous.

I wish i had enough money to own that crap...and if I did, I wouldn't care about my 200 bucks. Sounds like pocket change for you.

Although price drops aren't usually that close around the corner, you know they're in sight somewhere down the line. Wait it out, I'm sure one of your macs can hold you over.

my point was (unfortunately) I'm an early adopter.
  • Reply 46 of 169
    If none of you ever bought a cellphone I can understand your disappointment. All cellphone comes out at one price and two to six months later the price drops at least twice.

When Motorola introduced the Razor at Cingular Three months later it was $100 off then another $50 and then free. When Blackberry introduces a new model if you buy it when it first comes out its $399 and within three months the price is less than half. The same is true for the Trio. When it first came out it was $599. Two months later it was $499 then $399. T

When I purchased the iPhone I new Apple would discount the phone. I wanted to be the first to have one so I paid the full boat. It should come as no shock to any of you that the price has been lowered to $99. What about all of those people who paid $299 and $399? The Blackberry Pearl was $399 when it first came out now with a rebate its now $149.99

If you are going to stop buying Apple products then you should stop purchasing all Blackberry?s, Motorola, Trio and Nokia phones as well.
  • Reply 47 of 169
    I just set up a site to discuss the overall Apple User eXperience --- www.stevejobsux.com

Input appreciated...
  • Reply 48 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

Here's a lil' tip.

Telco's hate the idea they "might" lose customers. They stand to lose far more than 200 bucks in cancelation fees if people start bailing on their 2 year contracts.

So, do what I did. Call AT&T and ask for a credit to your account. I got 75.00 in instant credit PLUS 500 rollover minutes. About 100 bucks worth of gracis from Apple's partner's pockets (depending on how you want to dice and slice the value of minutes - but at 450 minutes at peak-rate being the standard plan - 500's not bad). Now this isn't an official deal and it's on an individual basis so you have to take your chances. Still I'm sure AT&T is going to be sending some love letters to Cuppertino soon.

Of course many decent credit cards also offer 90 days buyer protection. Oops - was that iPhone only 66 days old? Oh NOSIES! Looks like Visa / Amex / MC / Discover might have some feedback coming Apple's way too.

Next, even if the Apple store wants to hit you with a restocking fee, making them squirm in person within 14 days for mucho more bucks is also fun. And if it's an AT&T store - even better! In most states 30 days return for cell-phones are standard.

Lastly, once you unlock your iPhone with not one but TWO software solutions - you can always recoup those losses auctioning your "myPhone" on eBay. Naturally, Apple AND AT&T would love you to pieces if you did that. Because if it's a marketshare-for-dollars game Apple is playing based on subscription revenue - those dollars heading to T-Mobile will certainly make their day bright.

Remember be polite - try to throw in some sympathetic humor with the poor schmuck on the phone, and most of all have fun!

And for a little more fun, write to the three law firms, I believe there's three, that have a class action suit against iPhone's battery issue, and write to them saying you want to be on the list, that way, if they hit paydirt with their lawsiut, you might get a little bit of a refund from Apple that way, regardless if the lawsuit is frivolous, to quote Steve, "well, that's what happens in technology."
  • Reply 49 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thataboy View Post

I'm sorry, but most people who spent $600 on a phone the minute it came out -- well, $200 is probably not the end of the world to them. You didn't LOSE $200... Apple didn't steal money from you -- you made a decision that the iPhone was worth $600 to you. Honestly, some people have the most obscene sense of entitlement!

Exactly. It's not as though AT&T just announced the monthly bill for all of those who bought an iPhone the first 2 months is now going to be $200/month. This isn't a reoccurring cost to the owner. If someone doesn't feel the iPhone was worth $600, then they shouldn't have agreed to pay $600 for it. The phone's worth $400 to me. If I buy one next week and a week later they start giving them away for free, it's still worth $400 to me.
  • Reply 50 of 169
    I bought some AAPL stock the other day and now the price has dropped $7. Can I get a refund since I bought it less than 14 days ago?
  • Reply 51 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post

I just set up a site to discuss the overall Apple User eXperience --- www.stevejubsux.com

Input appreciated...

1) Learn to spell, perhaps?

2) Advertise a site when it's actually up and running, maybe?

3) Stop spamming, definitely.

One last thing ... his name is Steve Jobs, not Job.
  • Reply 52 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Come on people, those who bought it when it first came out did it to be "The first" Everyone knew the price would drop sooner or later. I have friends that never owned a Mac in their life and said "I'll wait to the price drops" Even the iPod dropped in price, the 5GB iPod was $500, then $400. I'm guessing they just feel like fools for not having patients.

Look at it this way, the first two months paid for the development and the marketing. Now that thats all paid up, here's the price break.

Here's another tip, a 16GB model is around the corner so don't be shocked. How do I know? There's a 16GB iPod Touch.

I totally agree, I bought my iPhone on the first day too with absolutely no regrets. Anyone on this site knows that Apple's cost to manufacture it was less that 40% of what they were charging (I'm sure that doesn't include R&D, advertising, etc). The price was gonna drop, and it was gonna be significant. I know I'm not the only one who felt good just to be one of the first people to own one. Everyone else needs to be a bit more realistic about new technology.
  • Reply 53 of 169
    Quote:

I will NEVER buy another new Apple product at launch and NEVER purchase another MP3 or video from iTunes again. I'll look eslewhere for my music and movies.

Haha. Guys. Stop being childish. Just admit that you are jealous and soon no longer the coolest kid on the block.

Apart from that I can really smell a lawsuit brewing. What a joke. Company getting sued for making their product more affordable. There really are no limits to stupidity.
  • Reply 54 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

True, but on what grounds?

Apparerently the overmetaphored crime of 1st degree criminal sexual assualt.

Without a kiss.
  • Reply 55 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys View Post

Here's a lil' tip.

Bueno!! Two thumbs up!
  • Reply 56 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think almost 1 million people learned a valuable lesson about impulse buying.

These same People over paid for there House by thousands of Dollars..

You know apple drops prices or adds stuff after every product launch..

I am sorry but that is life. I am sure the same million people that learned there lesson today will whine when they bring out the next version.. maybe a 16gb version.. for 599..

Just face it you had to be first and got Screwed but you have 22 mths left on that contract..
  • Reply 57 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfwooster View Post

I bought some AAPL stock the other day and now the price has dropped $7. Can I get a refund since I bought it less than 14 days ago?

Only if you purchased it with a credit card that offers price protection...
  • Reply 58 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

1) Learn to spell, perhaps?

2) Advertise a site when it's actually up and running, maybe?

3) Stop spamming, definitely.

One last thing ... his name is Steve Jobs, not Job.

Was actually meant to be somewhat of a joke, you lame monkey. And the 'S' is one of those intended redundancies...
  • Reply 59 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adr1974 View Post

Was actually meant to be somewhat of a joke, you lame monkey.

Oh.

Wait ...

Nope. It failed.
  • Reply 60 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

if you bought iPhone on Tuesday, then I feel your pain (you can probably get $200 back though).

but if you bought iPhone like 2 months ago, then what da hell is there to complain about? it is so obvious that Apple shouldn't be giving refunds. maybe I should ask for refunds on some of the macs I bought which went down in price after 2-3 years.

I don't see anything wrong with what Jobs is doing here.

Steve's responce is compleat is wrong in so may ways and to those who say they saw it coming; show me one thread on this or any other news or fan site that talk about a $200 price drop within 60 days of launch day.

No other device in recent history has seen such a deep price reduction this quickly. Not the Razor, PSP, or xBox? ?Unfortunate reality of the cut-throat technology world? BS!

This is a classic case of price gauging.

Did Apple's cost to make the iPhone suddenly drop? No.

Did Apple drop the price to increase sales? No.

At nearly 1 million sold in two months, the iPhone is quickly on its way to becoming the best selling smart phone in history?.Or maybe not, because now Apple has about 1 million pissed off customers who feel like they?ve been ripped off.

The reality I see is how cut-throat Apple can be in dealing with its loyal customers.