Calling all chefs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    It all looks good to me. Fellowship instead of criticizing your cooking techniques or enegry use, I just want to know when dinner is being served and if I am invited.

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz View Post

I'm going to have to side with Splinemodel, Fellowship -- sometimes the lure isn't meant to catch the fish, but the fisherman.

Never eat fishermen. Too fatty.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

You guys are something... You moan about that I could have had a $30 version of what I have. I suppose I could use a cheap PC to browse the net also but I love apple better for many reasons. You moan about that I could use less energy with a pressure cooker...

I know I can save energy with a pressure cooker. I have a great pressure cooker that I use for many meals. BUT I have never had the same result with brisket out of a pressure cooker. I use this pot for more of a weekend meal and what is more is that it provides for wonderful leftovers which taste better than the first day in some cases.

You guys are miserable little people.. To mention that the "French" smoke what does that have to do with anything this thread is about. I simply said that Texas style smoked foods are a little less than healthy and I stand by that. I do eat them from time to time but I also eat much healthier foods most of the time.

Here is a group of people that know how to reply to this subject at hand...

They are more mature and less of a miserable lot of cry babies.

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php...opic=1720&st=0

The right wingers here at AI are too damn "American centric" and hate others.

The left wingers here at AI seem to want to tell you how to use your energy and how to cook and with what cheap piece of cookware.

I fit neither of the two lame "boxes"

We need in the worst of ways many more moderates here who are level headed.

You all could benefit from not being such negative miserable souls.

Fellows

They're just crabby about the iPhone price drop... move along.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It all looks good to me. Fellowship instead of criticizing your cooking techniques or enegry use, I just want to know when dinner is being served and if I am invited.

Nick

Nick you should have been here a few nights ago... You missed out and you are always welcome ay my home.

Fellows
  • Reply 25 of 63
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I don't mean to rag on you Fellowship -- I picked up a couple of Viking pans a couple of months back, and yep -- they are regular hot rods when it comes to performance. But in the end I probably could have gotten 99% of their performance from much more reasonably priced units. A Cusinart would have probably been just fine -- but I "just had to have" those Vikings.

We all from time to time fall into that American trap -- something along the lines of trying to buying our way to sophistication.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:

I don't mean to rag on you Fellowship -- I picked up a couple of Viking pans a couple of months back, and yep -- they are regular hot rods when it comes to performance. But in the end I probably could have gotten 99% of their performance from much more reasonably priced units. A Cusinart would have probably been just fine -- but I "just had to have" those Vikings.

We all from time to time fall into that American trap -- something along the lines of trying to buying our way to sophistication.

I was sold on Le Creuset when I had a pork tenderloin cooked from one at my grandmothers sisters home last Christmas. I asked her about hers and she has had it for years. She is 80 going on 60. One of the most well traveled cool women I have met at age 80. She is not what you think of when you think 80. She seems more like 60 and she is one of the most positive people I know. But the food sold me. I asked her how she did it and she made it sound so simple... Ohh hon you just put it in there and .....

Sure I could have bought something cheaper but something cheaper is not what I was in the market for nor should it be any of your concern what I spend more on and spend less on in my day to day. I am one of the cheapest people you can find but when it comes to certain things I spend more.

It is NONE of your business.

Can we let this die now? or will I forever be a wreckless snooty spender in your unforgiving projection of me?

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:

I was sold on Le Creuset when I had a pork tenderloin cooked from one at my grandmothers sisters home last Christmas. I asked her about hers and she has had it for years. She is 80 going on 60. One of the most well traveled cool women I have met at age 80. She is not what you think of when you think 80. She seems more like 60 and she is one of the most positive people I know. But the food sold me. I asked her how she did it and she made it sound so simple... Ohh hon you just put it in there and .....

Sure I could have bought something cheaper but something cheaper is not what I was in the market for nor should it be any of your concern what I spend more on and spend less on in my day to day. I am one of the cheapest people you can find but when it comes to certain things I spend more.

It is NONE of your business.

Can we let this die now? or will I forever be a wreckless snooty spender in your unforgiving projection of me?

Fellows

mmmmm.... that's not my point, though. There are people dying of starvation in this world and somehow I needed a $285 saucepan?

Seemed a little phony in retrospect.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

mmmmm.... that's not my point, though. There are people dying of starvation in this world and somehow I needed a $285 saucepan?

Seemed a little phony in retrospect.

I don't know about you but I don't have anything near a $285 saucepan. Not only that but since you bring it up I quite enjoy giving to organizations which support people who live with really hard living conditions. I give to Life Today for the purpose of bringing clean drinking water to those who have filthy water or none near by. I make microloans through Kiva to people who have little access to credit otherwise in poorer areas. I am not going to list things I do as I don't believe I do anything rather God who is due all glory is the one who blesses.

http://www.lifetoday.org/site/PageSe...ename=dnt_home

http://www.kiva.org/

I think we have to make decisions as how to manage our resources and we each have differing formulations as to what is a good investment and what is a poor choice in resource management. In my history personally I have learned the hard way when I try to do something the "cheap way" in some cases. For example It cost me about $10,000 when I put in a cheaper septic tank system on a home I built. I had to warranty that poor choice and it cost me for taking the "cheaper path" in the end it cost me more.

I have learned from buying cheap vacuum cleaners that they do not hold up. I have had troulble with a cheap $80 Bissell that is worthless now. I think I got 6 months out of it filters clog in a bad way. I have had the same problem with two other vacuum cleaners one a cheap Eureka and one a cheap Dirt Devil.

Had I had it all over to do I would have bypassed all the cheap vacuums and gone straight with an Oreck which actually does cost at least 3x as much but I have found through other people I know that they hold up very well over the long haul and they do what they are designed to do.

So you can try to make me feel guilty with my choices all day long heck you could spend years on such a venture if you like but I make my choices and you make yours.

We each live with our choices.

What have you done for poor people?

Fellows
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

I don't know about you but I don't have anything near a $285 saucepan. Not only that but since you bring it up I quite enjoy giving to organizations which support people who live with really hard living conditions. I give to Life Today for the purpose of bringing clean drinking water to those who have filthy water or none near by. I make microloans through Kiva to people who have little access to credit otherwise in poorer areas. I am not going to list things I do as I don't believe I do anything rather God who is due all glory is the one who blesses.

http://www.lifetoday.org/site/PageSe...ename=dnt_home

http://www.kiva.org/

I think we have to make decisions as how to manage our resources and we each have differing formulations as to what is a good investment and what is a poor choice in resource management. In my history personally I have learned the hard way when I try to do something the "cheap way" in some cases. For example It cost me about $10,000 when I put in a cheaper septic tank system on a home I built. I had to warranty that poor choice and it cost me for taking the "cheaper path" in the end it cost me more.

I have learned from buying cheap vacuum cleaners that they do not hold up. I have had troulble with a cheap $80 Bissell that is worthless now. I think I got 6 months out of it filters clog in a bad way. I have had the same problem with two other vacuum cleaners one a cheap Eureka and one a cheap Dirt Devil.

Had I had it all over to do I would have bypassed all the cheap vacuums and gone straight with an Oreck which actually does cost at least 3x as much but I have found through other people I know that they hold up very well over the long haul and they do what they are designed to do.

So you can try to make me feel guilty with my choices all day long heck you could spend years on such a venture if you like but I make my choices and you make yours.

We each live with our choices.

What have you done for poor people?

Fellows

No one is trying to make you feel guilty -- remember what Eleanor Roosevelt said about people who fixate their discussions on other people and not ideas.

My point -- one more time -- is that Americans tend to get caught up some fairly bourgeois, if not downright effete buying habits, and that needn't be if people were focused solely on what was necessary to do the job.

As to what I have done for poor people, I give, not loan, roughly 3-4% of my yearly gross to poor. That doesn't include the 10% of my gross that I give, not loan, to various Church and nonprofit entities.

I'd suggest lightening up, taking a few steps back, and be willing to kick around the idea, see Matthew 19:16-30. We are all guilty of what I'm talking about to one degree or another.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

We are all guilty of what I'm talking about to one degree or another.

I agree that is true I just don't see your point in calling me on the carpet post after post after post because I purchased a nice quality enamelled cast iron cooking vessel for my family. It is not like I went and spooned over some money for something like an iPhone or playstation for my personal pleasure of games or gadgetry. I got something that is a long term asset for the use of my entire family.

Some people pay more for a speeding ticket than I payed for this Le Creuset oven.

I will waste no more time responding to your posts in this thread as we have covered all the ground and then some.

Fellows
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

RECIPES already!

A recipe for getting under Fellowship's skin? I think I found it. \
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

...calling me on the carpet post after post after post...

For heaven's sake, Fellowship, I nudged you slightly about not going off into into bourgeoisie land with the "look at my new toy thread" and you're acting like it's your time of the month. (And yes, I did tease you about living in Tejas again.)

Go kick the cat or something, we're just talking here. Peace!

Sheeesh.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

For heaven's sake, Fellowship, I nudged you slightly about not going off into into bourgeoisie land with the "look at my new toy thread" and you're acting like it's your time of the month. (And yes, I did tease you about living in Tejas again.)

Go kick the cat or something, we're just talking here.

Sheeesh.

No hard feelings dmz I just read your posts, responded to what you had to say. If it makes you feel better I looked up an American make of the same basic cookware but American and I came across this:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=4046

$167.95

Only problem is that this company does not have a 4.5 qt size so I had to compare mine to their 5 qt size. The Lodge 5 qt cost more than what I paid for mine with sales tax and all.

I paid $140 for mine with sale tax included in that $140

And the Chinese made stuff sold at Ikea and Target I will not buy as I do not trust that there is not lead in the paint. I just don't trust cheap stuff from China. Now if you like you can indulge in their cheap stuff if you like.

Fellows

I have no reason to kick any cats... You need to grow up.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Fellow,

You went fishin', baited the hook, and dropped it in the creek. You can't moan about the size, or type of fish you caught there. You know the kind of 'wankers' that respond to these threads.

I applaud you for at least not purchasing another "disposable" item. Cooking utensils and tools are one of the few items that can be purchased that prove their worth through the years. Although it might be easy to spend too much (at first blush), it is difficult to wear out a good pot, pan, or knife if properly cared for.

Your recipe is very similar to "Beef Carbonnade". Brown approx. 1 1/2" cubed hunks of beef of some type, remove, and caramelize 1 to 2 onions, return the beef and cover with a good, robust Danish beer. In your neighborhood I would use the great Shiner Bock. The original recipe does not include the additional veggies, but I would not hesitate to add some quartered potatoes, and top with asparagas later in the process.

As to the definition of "Dutch Oven". In my neighborhood, it can mean the indoor pot such as you purchased, or the other one used in camp or fireplace cooking. A dutch overn up here may have three 2" legs on the bottom, a lid with a 1/2" lip, and a good strong metal handle. It can be hung from a tripod over a good fire, but is mostly used for oven work or braising. Set pan on ground close to fire, shovel hot coals underneath and on the lid (reason for the lip), refresh coals as necessary. Used like this, you can braise the finest of meals on a gravel bar, cook bisquits, or even cakes.

Paz
  • Reply 35 of 63
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Lodge iron cookware is very high quality for the price, we have an extensive set (of non-enameled) that we use both at home and over a fire camping. Plain cast iron works fine as long as you remember not to use soap on the pans, and re-season it occasionally. Haven't tried the enameled dutch oven/stock pots yet, we just don't get that in-depth when cooking at the old homestead.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

You guys are something... You moan about that I could have had a $30 version of what I have.

You guys are miserable little people.. To mention that the "French" smoke what does that have to do with anything this thread is about. . . .

. . .

The right wingers here at AI are too damn "American centric" and hate others.

The left wingers here at AI seem to want to tell you how to use your energy and how to cook and with what cheap piece of cookware.

I fit neither of the two lame "boxes"

You're in the "too serious" box. If we bruised your ego, my apologies. I can't speak for the energy saving crowd, but I at least think your pot is very nice, and I wouldn't mind having one myself. If you're happy with it, I don't see why such an impish jab should put you off so much.

I do, however, find amusing americans who fancy themselves as "european" in that certain brand of semi-snobbishness. If you didn't respond so defensively to the first [polite] joke of the thread, the one referencing Texas's long (and proud) history of fire-cooked beef, nobody would have joked back. The smoking bit wasn't serious either, and was a jab at your disapproval of barbecue. You could have said "I don't like barbecue," but instead went of a diatribe about carcinogens in wood. C'mon, that's way too uptight and just asking for return fire.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Lodge iron cookware is very high quality for the price, we have an extensive set (of non-enameled) that we use both at home and over a fire camping. Plain cast iron works fine as long as you remember not to use soap on the pans, and re-season it occasionally.

I have some lodge pots. They are cheap and brutal, but their mass is necessary for cooking on electric burners. I have gas now, so they aren't used as much, but the fact that many, many restaurants use lodge cookware should speak for itself. It's also fine to soap them as long as you swab them with some oil right after drying. Le Creuset cookware is basically improved Lodge cookware, for ten times the price. If I were more wealthy than I am or were extremely passionate about cooking, I would probably buy a few of them.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

You're in the "too serious" box.

I realize people have their opinions as I have mine as well. I just thought I would get some responses like the following:

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php...opic=1720&st=0

The thing is I wanted feedback from you AI'rs since I sort of at least know you all.

What I got was mixed and I thank those of you who gave me some great ideas. As for the people who did nothing but add crap to the thread it is a shame you have nothing better to say.

Fellows
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Now this looks pretty darn good:

http://champaign-taste.blogspot.com/...e-creuset.html

Chicken Paprikás

from The Bon Appétit Cookbook

4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 2/3 pounds)

All-purpose flour

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 red, yellow, or green peppers, cut into strips

1/2 medium onion, sliced

4 garlic cloves, chopped

5 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika

1/4 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika

1 1/4 cups chicken broth

1 cup chopped, drained Italian plum tomatoes

1 tablespoon tomato paste

Fellows
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Sorry Fellows, but I will always get a kick out of American who declare themselves to be more (insert favorite European nation) than American. I have watched so many people go through this. Truthfully, you might enjoy living in another part of the US. Much of the NE is far quainter than the Metroplex as are parts of CA and OR.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southside grabowski View Post

Sorry Fellows, but I will always get a kick out of American who declare themselves to be more (insert favorite European nation) than American. I have watched so many people go through this. Truthfully, you might enjoy living in another part of the US. Much of the NE is far quainter than the Metroplex as are parts of CA and OR.

I love many parts of the US but I would have to take out a jumbo loan on a home to live there and I am happy living in a paid for home here in Texas. What I try to do is bring elements of places I love back home and appreciate them in my day to day. Call me what you want but I am happy with my appreciation for other cultures as well as certain local cultures within the US. I am just not simply content with my local flavor if you will as it can get old like any one thing can get old after a while hence I incorporate many flavors into my life.

Fellows