Wu: Apple's "fatboy" nano could be this holiday's dark horse

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

I totally agree with this statment. I bought an iPhone about a month ago as soon as my contract with Verizon expired. I love, love, love, my iPhone and have no regrets; it's the best phone I've owned so far. But I do understand the frustration of the "early adopters". $200 is a big drop in price from the initial launch and I think those who are easy to call these frustrated buyers a bunch of whiners or losers and deserving of getting ripped off for not waiting should remember that these early buyers are responsible for helping Apple succesfully launch this product.

It's not fair to compare this situation with a car that depreciates after you drive it off the lot or your Mac being upgraded within weeks of your purchase. This is the same iPhone that was $599 on June 29th. It was a totally unexpected price cut in such a very short time. I can't recall any other time Apple has done something like this with any other product including the iPod.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I felt I had to post this because I have been reading many forums since yesterday regarding this issue and the name calling and viciousness of the comments have been dissappointing to me as a long-time Mac user. My "techie" co-worker who always has to have the latest electronic gadgets and never complains about anything was pretty disappointed yesterday. That tells me quite a bit about how this whole thing is playing out. Remember again, the early adopters helped make the iPhone a success for Apple so far.

Peace,

Marcus

Well, Steve could give each of them a handshake... how would they feel then?
  • Reply 42 of 84
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Same here. Couldn't agree more. I'm very happy with the price drop, despite have bought mine near the beginning. It's only going to make my wife's phone that much cheaper to buy when her contract is up.

I bought an iPhone the second day they were available. It stings a little that they're now $200 cheaper, but hey... I've been able to use my iPhone for two months, and I made the decision is was worth $600 to buy one.

Chances are when Apple comes out with a 3G iPhone, I'll upgrade right away, and end up paying more than I'd have to by waiting 3-6 months after the things are new. C'est la vie!
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, Steve could give each of them a handshake... how would they feel then?

Sarcasm, I guess, as expected. BTW, a handshake from Steve would be great. I don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledgement in any shape or form. Do you?
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple's not using the term. Besides, I suggested "Fatso"... sounds more like "nano".

How about "Nanny Fatso" or "Fatty Nanny?"

Sounds like a cool, fat, pipe-smoking grandma I had. What a broad!!
  • Reply 45 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

The price drop virtually guarantees a successful holiday season, which should finally put an end to the naysayers and the analysts who are still driving the stock price down.

Apple can now make a decent profit at $399 because they have recouped their initial RND costs and have reduced the cost of manufacturing significantly. .

On a cash flow basis, you simply cannot make the types of assertions you just did. The R&D done on the iPhone has already been incurred prior to launch, and is sunk. Zero cash flow impact on first million or next million iPhones sold. Period. Any allocations to R&D going forward will reflect current and future needs for the iPhone and related products, and will continue to get incurred in every iPhone that is sold in the future.

Also, I doubt that manufacturing costs (incl. component costs) fallen so dramatically as to justify a $200 price drop. In my view this will most certainly squeeze per-phone margins.

However, you are right that there will be an increase in quantity sold, but it remains to be seen whether that increase can compensate for the price and margin decrease. Perhaps this explains part of the stock price drop yesterday, since I'll bet analysts are themselves quite uncertain about many of these assumptions, and are busy revising their spreadsheets.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobius32us View Post

a brief interlude from all the pontificating: but why do people (as mr. wu does repeatedly) use the phrases "form factor" and "price points" when "design" and "price" would serve just as well?? every time i hear "form factor" or "price point" it makes me think of some using what i'll call "verbal inflation," i.e. an effort to fill a space reserved for analysis with fluff.

now, perhaps one of you mensa members out there can provide me with an explanation for why it's better to use, in this case, two words rather than one. otherwise, just stick to design or shape and price or cost.

The phrases actually have different meanings to the single words. Unfortunately the people that now use these phrases have no idea what they mean and use them interchangeably because they sound cool. Thus their original technical meaning is lost. A price point is not an actual amount but a position within the pricing structure. A form factor is not an actual design but a class of design within a product range.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    I have a question about the new iPod nano. On Apple's website it says the new nano let's you enjoy home videos, music videos and much more on a 2" display. I was wondering if this is a full fledged video iPod or does it have limitations. I just found it odd that they didn't mention anything about tv shows or movies bought off of iTunes. Any insight would be great, thanks.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

"Fatboy Slim" sounds better I think. Famous artist too!

I love it!
  • Reply 49 of 84
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

I'm sorry, but you are a perfect example of the kind of consumer I consider, for lack of a nicer word, and idiot. You shelled out $1300 on fancy new toys as soon as the product was available, yet you resent future price drops? You get what you pay for, WHEN you pay for it, and YOU are responsible for YOUR money and how you spend it. If prices for that item drop, even precipitously, after you made your purchase, it only proves you are an impulsive and imprudent consumer who should be more thoughtful about their purchasing decisions in the future. If there is any blame to be had, it's all yours ? you spent unwisely in order to be the first kid on the block with a new toy.

Not trying to be mean, just give you some tough love.

Maybe the early adopters can look at it this way:

They only paid $200 for a quick education on electronics consumerism.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I've been scouring through each and every page of Apple's website.

I've been poring through each and every page of all the literature that came with all the Apple products I've ever purchased.

I still can't find any language which says "Apple guarantees that after you purchase this product, its price will not fall at a rate that will hurt your feelings". Or words to that effect.

If somebody found such a notice, please let me know. I'm a little hurt that the MacBook line was upgraded one month after I bought one.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I totally agree with this statment. I bought an iPhone about a month ago as soon as my contract with Verizon expired. I love, love, love, my iPhone and have no regrets; it's the best phone I've owned so far. But I do understand the frustration of the "early adopters". $200 is a big drop in price from the initial launch and I think those who are easy to call these frustrated buyers a bunch of whiners or losers and deserving of getting ripped off for not waiting should remember that these early buyers are responsible for helping Apple succesfully launch this product.

It's not fair to compare this situation with a car that depreciates after you drive it off the lot or your Mac being upgraded within weeks of your purchase. This is the same iPhone that was $599 on June 29th. It was a totally unexpected price cut in such a very short time. I can't recall any other time Apple has done something like this with any other product including the iPod.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and I felt I had to post this because I have been reading many forums since yesterday regarding this issue and the name calling and viciousness of the comments have been dissappointing to me as a long-time Mac user. My "techie" co-worker who always has to have the latest electronic gadgets and never complains about anything was pretty disappointed yesterday. That tells me quite a bit about how this whole thing is playing out. Remember again, the early adopters helped make the iPhone a success for Apple so far.

Peace,

Marcus

Well put. There would be no iPhone at $399 had the early buyers not supported it with their purchases so if everyone had held back, as some seem to indicate they were so clever to do, it might not be here today at all!

Personally I have no regrets and love the iPhone too but as an Apple loyalist since 1979 I worry that it is a bad PR situation especially when the most loyal are the ones getting this shock, however explained.

I think Aperture was well handled and I as an early adopter was thrilled with an Apple $200 gift voucher when they dropped the price so dramatically. I ended up adding $1,100 more to it to buy a MacBook for my wife. Apple might be well advised to do a similar move, I bet most would add more to any voucher and buy something more expensive too ... a true win win solution for all and great PR for Apple.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobius32us View Post

a brief interlude from all the pontificating: but why do people (as mr. wu does repeatedly) use the phrases "form factor" and "price points" when "design" and "price" would serve just as well?? every time i hear "form factor" or "price point" it makes me think of some using what i'll call "verbal inflation," i.e. an effort to fill a space reserved for analysis with fluff.

Yeah, a lot of it just fluff and verbal posturing, but I don't think it's all meaningless. Take the terminology "price point". That phrase brings to mind ideas that don't immediately come to mind, or with such emphasis, simply by saying "price". When I hear "price point", I'm immediately thinking of price in strategic terms, in terms of consumer reaction to the perceived value and affordability of a given product at a given price, psychological price categories like "under $100", etc.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

I guess you can't hold that much video anyway. The other mistake was the iPod touch coming with only 16GB!!!!! Why didn't they use HDD instead? NAND can't fully support my desires.

I think the main reason is the battery life vs. usage tradeoff. Other than for the shuffle, Apple has been hitting over 20 hours battery life for music for all their iPods. A HDD would've lowered this.

When Leopard is released, it will have a feature where your portable Mac via wifi can log into your home computers via .Mac. I can see this being adapted to iTunes and the iPod touch/iPhone, so you can stream content from your own computers anywhere you have access to wifi. So local storage becomes less important.

And I think Apple is starting a push to get wifi everywhere by making wifi more attractive via seeding the world with more devices and a compelling iTunes service (and soon other services). Starbucks is just the beginning. And it also explains somewhat just going with EDGE instead of 3G on the iPhone.

Remember the rumor about having a virtual storage locker on your .Mac account for rented iTunes movies. If all this comes to be, then your wifi iPod or iPhone will have access to it. So you'd only store a couple of movies for when you have no wifi access.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Not a bunch of whiners, however this is expected for early adopters. The likelihood of a product, especially a technological one, to drop in price rapidly is expected when one assumes the position of an early adopter. Especially so in the mobile phone market. Remember the Razr craze? I had a guy tell me the day it was dropped to $199, and he bought his for $599 just 2 weeks prior! I bought mine 1 month later for free with mail-in rebates.

Remember, Apple has launched into the cut-throat world of mobile phones. What's cool today, is literally forgotten tomorrow! Remember the Verizon Chocolate buzz? Gone for awhile now. I tell you, that thing had a 3 month life-span for technological/aesthetic "wowness".

I've purchased many things "cutting-edge" and have paid the price every single time. It's the cost and the responsibility of the consumer to know that this is how it works.

Are the early adopters responsible for the adoption of the iPhone? Yes, just like any other product release, and because of this, they are able to reduce the prices.

Yes, it would suck to have had paid $600 2 weeks ago and now see a $200 price cut, but that's how it goes. The consumer can't be angry at the company for this.

Just sucks, but this is life.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I worry that it is a bad PR situation especially when the most loyal are the ones getting this shock, however explained.

Thanks for making that point. I should have covered that in my original post. Whether you agree with them or not, there are enough angry buyers out there to make this a very bad PR situation for Apple which can and will have an effect on future products. Again, I'm happy with my iPhone and I've always been an early adopter and "sucker" for new things Apple. But, I will definitely remind myself of this the next time around. You just can't deny that people feel "stung" by this.

UPDATED: Oh, BTW, take a look at this article on CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...9_FORTUNE5.htm
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tripo View Post

Couldn't agree with you more !

Why the hell should i choose the iPod touch instead of the iPhone .. !?!?

There's nothing trully better .. ..what like ?!? 2 mm thinner c'mon who cares !? and

only 8 gb more space ..

They should've used HDD !

but on the other hand , now the iPod touch is a powerfull feedback device . .for the iPhone future,.. think about that !

For $399:

iPhone: cell phone/EDGE coverage; camera; bluetooth; built-in apps for email, maps, etc

OR

iPod touch: 8GB plus don't need to shell out $60 a month for phone service, or about $1500.

Since I think wifi coverage (especially free wifi) will begin to grow rapidly in the US, and since I already have a phone (month 9 out of 24), I'm more likely to buy the iPod touch.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:

Thanks for making that point. I should have covered that in my original post. Whether you agree with them or not, there are enough angry buyers out there to make this a very bad PR situation for Apple which can and will have an effect on future products. Again, I'm happy with my iPhone and I've always been an early adopter and "sucker" for new things Apple. But, I will definitely remind myself of this the next time around. You just can't deny that people feel "stung" by this.

UPDATED: Oh, BTW, take a look at this article on CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...9_FORTUNE5.htm

Looked at it. Trip Chowdhry and Van Baker are pretty useless analysts when it comes to Apple. Google them and you'll see their explanations and projections don't pan out. And it's because they just don't "get Apple". Michael Gartenberg (jupiterresearch), Gene Munster (real or fake), and even AppleInsider favorite Johnny-come-lately Shaw Wu have been much more accurate.

Agree with your other point about loyalists feeling "stung", even though it's not rational. For comparison, plasma/LCD TVs and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives have been dropping fast as well.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

For comparison, plasma/LCD TVs and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives have been dropping fast as well.

I respectfully disagree with this. I don't think it's a "fair" comparison. There are many brands to choose from for plasma/LCD TVs and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives. Right now, there is only ONE iPhone; and for the hard core, no equivalent.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    vinney57: The phrases actually have different meanings to the single words. Unfortunately the people that now use these phrases have no idea what they mean and use them interchangeably because they sound cool. Thus their original technical meaning is lost. A price point is not an actual amount but a position within the pricing structure. A form factor is not an actual design but a class of design within a product range.

ok, thanks for that edification. and, yes, unfortunately the words and phrases are used interchangably.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Proportionally the Fatboy is just plain ugly. Like my wife said, "It's like a man who doesn't look good in any suit."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

Anyone buying a nano (earlier) wasn't to concerned about video anyway. Seriously, who wants to watch a video on a dinky screen? The iPod classic is STILL to small for me.

As far as I am concerned the nano was for music ONLY!!! If you want video, get a portable DVD player, or perhaps the iPod touch.

I guess you can't hold that much video anyway. The other mistake was the iPod touch coming with only 16GB!!!!! Why didn't they use HDD instead? NAND can't fully support my desires.

I am also curious how easy it is to hold one of these nanos and still operate the click wheel efficiently. It seems the natural placement of your thumb would be over the screen not at the click wheel.

Sorry, I am just venting. I do know my comments are all over the map. <grunt>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I hate the "fatboy" nickname. How about 3G nano or video nano?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

On the other hand, a 2" screen is actually kinda nice for pictures.

Frankly, I was prepared to hate the iChubby. But the darned thing is growing on me to the point where I'm actually having to decide between it and the Touch.

It'll come down to which (if either) support disk mounting and sound recording.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Ahmen, brother!

While I didn't like it when I saw on the net, I held one in my hand today at an Apple Store (they had one for demo purposes that had just come in) and I must say that it is better looking in person. I had ordered a Nano RED before the announcement because I didn't like what I was seeing on the net. Now I may trade it (I haven't un-boxed it so no restocking fee). Haven't decided yet, I do like the old red better than the new red, which has a much bluer tone to it.