Jobs says Apple won't offer refunds to early iPhone adopters

Comments

• Reply 141 of 169
    Whether it was 2 monts or 2 years is the point. I mean with the iPods, there were some type of update to the product.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I think the only way you can keep a healthy perspective on any kind of price drop is to compare the original price versus latest price.

Whether the product has been out 2 months or 2 years is really irrelevant. Why? Because if the same product gets a lower price it's still the same product, no matter how long it was out before. A product that's been out for a year is the same product whether you bought it on its introduction date or 4 days ago.

So let's level the playing field a bit. Prices at product introduction vs. now:

The 8GB iPhone was $599. Now it's $399. Difference = $200 (33%)

The 4GB nano was $199. Now it's $149. Difference = $50 (25% and now it plays videos and games!)

The 80GB iPod was $349. Now it's $249. Difference = $100 (28.7%)

The 30" ACD was $3499. Now it's $1799. Difference = $1700 (48.6%)

If I owned an iPhone I'd be a little miffed, but still realize that it was bound to happen sooner or later. If I bought an iPhone on 6/29 for $599, no matter when the price dropped, I still bought it for $599 on 6/29.

I'd be pissed if I bought a 30" ACD for $3499. If it's only sat on a desk this whole time, there's really no difference between it and what you can get brand new today. Maybe the older one's a bit dimmer.

And with prices and the value of a US dollar both going down, the price difference is even a little bit more.

It's all about supply, demand, and component costs. Apple's supply of iPhones was probably much less on June 29 than it is now. They likely charged a premium to keep demand down those opening days and the cost of components has likely also dropped since. That's business, sorry.

• Reply 142 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moretti View Post

I can't believe that they're just offering this rebate to early adopters... this is clearly discrimination! I ordered an 8 GB iPhone yesterday - you can just bet that I'll be in their faces soon about my rebate. I'll settle for $25 to $50 if I have to.

Are you kidding?
  • Reply 143 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I can't upgrade, I'm just 5 months into my new contract. GOOO SAMSUNG BLACKJACK. lol.

I find that a good tactic to employ with the cell-service providers is to call in and ask for the retentions department. Explain to them that you are tempted by an offer from another carrier and wish to cancel your service but may be tempted to stay if they can sweeten the deal for you.

I've been given a free handset upgrade mid-contract, in the recent past. Of course, that won't work if you want a discount on the iPhone but, if you want an 8525, it may be worth a try.

Of course, they could always say, 'See ya!'.
  • Reply 144 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelf Life View Post

Dropping the price $200 after 10 weeks wasn't decided yesterday.

They obviously took advantage of the goodwill I had toward their company by overinflating their price at launch. I'm not bitching, I am merely stating that I will never show them any goodwill again, and will no longer be making any unneccasary purchases from them ever again.

Losing out on any further business from me, and any future iTunes purchases I might have made, is also the "tough luck of technology."

Exactly, I feel the same. For me this is a defining moment. I always considered apple above the fray, but no longer.

The early adopters trusted apple to set a fair price - no-one knows what it really costs - the R&D, the programmers time etc - there's more to it than a physical breakdown. So we trusted them, and based on mac usual practice they don't drop the price - certainly not after 2 months. So it feels like they just gouged their loyal fanbase. So, fine. Life goes on - but I can't forget how apple acted here.

The only time I know of where they did drop the price like this was Aperture, and in that case they did the right thing.

Jobs may say it's the luck of technology, but until now it's never been the way apple does technology.

and viola - mid post - apple does the right thing....
  • Reply 145 of 169
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Well Jobs has been corrected... by Jobs.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

$100 apple store credit...

(thanks for the first link)

I wish this had been done from the begining. It is an agressive move that would be a stroke of geinus except that it smacks of giving in to excessive whining, rather than seeming to be a boon to a valued customer...
  • Reply 146 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

why are people in the blogosphere so paragraph centric...

if we don't do something active to evidince our collective irritation we are sheep... soon to be apple's shearling coats (i.e., not just shaved, but slaughtered and worn).

Do you even read what you are writing?

Paragraph usage helps make your communication clear--something you obviously have no interest in.

To be honest, I didn't even bother to finish your first "blob" post. Reading the follow up posts shows that I probably wasn't missing much...
  • Reply 147 of 169
    Early Adopters agreed to pay $499 or $599 for their iPhones and even if they weren't happy with the price they still chose to buy it at that price. They also did not hesitate to show their new gadgets off to their friends and brag about being one of the first owners of this great technology. A week ago they were happy with their product and alright with what they paid. Now just because others can afford to enjoy the iPhone for cheaper they're crying about it?

People, please grow up! You own a great product. Enjoy it. Stop complaining because now others can enjoy it too, but for cheaper. Be happy you will have more friends to talk about your new toys with.
  • Reply 148 of 169
    I purposely held off buying an iphone because I knew the price would come down, especially if it sold well. So the price dropped and now I will purchase my iphone. Anyone who "needed" to have an iphone early on has to accept that technology does drop in price quickly these days. I purchased a G4 mini and a few months later, the much faster intel version came out, with more features. I just took my lumps and happily continued to enjoy my mini, which I still use. Enjoy your iphone and move on. Technology will continue to get better and cheaper and we all just have to pick a time to buy and live with our decision.
  • Reply 149 of 169
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

why are people in the blogosphere so paragraph centric...

Because it makes stuff a LOT easier to read.

A surprising number of people are really into the 'one big long unbroken paragraph with little to no punctuation' style of posting. When I see a post like that, I usually stop reading two lines in. \

• Reply 150 of 169
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

(thanks for the first link)

I wish this had been done from the begining. It is an agressive move that would be a stroke of geinus except that it smacks of giving in to excessive whining, rather than seeming to be a boon to a valued customer...

sorry for the three posts, but people just post to these blogs without reading them through. i end up reading the same point from six different people who think they thought of it first.

i agree that SJ should have mentioned a rebate during the event, but the fact that it took him all of one day is a good sign. i'm just hoping there's no provision stating "$100 off of products of $X or more" or "$100 off apple merchandise only". i wouldn't mind applying my credit to that nice new canon 850IS digicam... i just hope the price doesn't drop on it in two months or i'll be screaming at canon for a store credit. :P
  • Reply 151 of 169
    This argument is so much more about the $200 - it's about elitist who now may have to share their luxury toy with the masses.

Why isn't anyone complaining about the nano? Yesterday, the price of a 4 GB nano was dropped 25% - and the newer nanos are not only 25% cheaper, but they can play VIDEO! and play GAMES! and have a BRIGHTER SCREEN! and a completely new USER INTERFACE.

Give it a rest...
  • Reply 152 of 169
    Quote:

How exactly do I sound like that?

I sound like I resent the obvious price-gouging, and I'm merely stating that I will no longer be spending any money at Apple that isn't completely necessary.

33% of $599 plus tax is a lot of money for such a quick "adjustment" in 10 weeks.

I love the iPhone, I'm not in love with the company making me feel gouged.

I'm also not in love with spending a lot of money on a product and getting "you got burned you fool" taunts as a result. Thanks, Apple.

Common sense would tell someone beforehand that $600 for a phone is gouging, and early product tear-downs revealed as much early on. I just think if someone decided sometime in the past nine months since the iPhone's introduction that, "yes, this phone is worth $600 to me", there's really no need to be resentful. We all knew the price was absurd. Some people agreed to pay it anyhow. Those people either a.) have a lot more expendable income than the rest of us or b.) really really appreciate the iPhone, and if they don't fall into one of those categories they probably shouldn't have bought one until the price was one they were comfortable with.
  • Reply 153 of 169
    Quote:

I trusted Apple to set a fair price, and now I feel like they made a fool of me by dropping that price 33% in just 10 weeks.

I will NEVER buy another new Apple product at launch and NEVER purchase another MP3 or video from iTunes again. I'll look elsewhere for my music and movies.

All my goodwill toward this company was erased very quickly. I've spent thousands on computers and equipment at the Apple store this year alone, and they've really given me a terrible feeling.

Blah blah blah. Give me a break. I bought an iPhone on July 8, and I'll ask Apple for a store credit or something, but if I even get $75 I'll consider it a victory. Obviously it was worth $599 to me, and obviously I could guess there would be a price cut or cheaper models before the end of the year, and I went ahead and bought it.

I've had United Airlines treat me 100 times worse than Apple has ever treated me - I f*cking hate that airline with a passion. But guess what, UA has by far the most flights from SFO, so every time UA has a nonstop and no other airline does, I end up taking UA anyway. The bottom line is, unless you are totally crazy, you keep on going with the product that best fits your needs. (And seriously, what are the alternatives, Windows? Please.)
  • Reply 154 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trragan View Post

Are you kidding?

Yes, I'm kidding. My earlier, well-considered post on this thread elicited no responses, so I thought I'd try another means of getting attention: whining. Works for my son, too.
  • Reply 155 of 169
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Dropping the price $200 after 10 weeks wasn't decided yesterday.

They obviously took advantage of the goodwill I had toward their company by overinflating their price at launch.

And if the iPhone had been a total flop at launch, their price would have still been overinflated? What if it turned out they should've been charging $2000 for them, should you owe them money? Somehow I doubt all that "goodwill" you have would've stuck around to bail out a failed product launch.
  • Reply 156 of 169
    Quote:

God help those that bought their phones at ATT outlets.

No, they still get the $100 credit. Unless they never plan to buy anything from an Apple store, it should be worth just as much as them as it is to those of us who bought at the Apple store.

I'm pretty amazed that they did that - that's really classy. I'm pretty sure none of the original RAZR owners got any money back, and I guarantee none of the RAZR 2 purchasers will be getting money back when the price falls by 50% in a few months. And now I don't even have to bother talking to customer service to get something...I'm happy.
  • Reply 157 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

sorry for the three posts, but people just post to these blogs without reading them through. i end up reading the same point from six different people who think they thought of it first.

Yeah. I wasn't commenting on the multiple posts--I was giving props to you for being the first to note it in this thread...
  • Reply 158 of 169
    Just in case anyone cares, my ex said she was just thinking about me. Not really sure that'll translate into a "Jobs-$100-esque offer", but it sounds like a good start. What's the protocol if it does? Do I call Steve to thank him? Are flowers (for him, not her) an imasculating move? So much work.....

Also, without listing all of them, kudos to all the posters who could acknowledge that the price drop is at the same time a non-issue and a potentially poor business decision. This is what free market economy is all about. Even though there are going to be many people who think they've "taught" Apple something, is that really true? Is one of the best marketed companies in history (perhaps second only to Luigi's Body Bags est. 1350-but Luigi was really fortunate in his timing) really taking note for the first time that purchasers of new products make a decision? that nobody likes to pay more than their neighbor for the same product? that people make future decisions based on previous ones? These are all things that play into this debate, and not one of them is news to the kids in Cuppertino.

So I'm thrilled they're making a great offer to folks. Maybe I'll pay a little less the next time I'm an early adopter? As an Apple consumer here, I'm all for paying less money for my goodies, whether now or in the future. I just wish we could have gotten there without people losing their minds and ability to think.
  • Reply 159 of 169
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maestroman123 View Post

This argument is so much more about the $200 - it's about elitist who now may have to share their luxury toy with the masses.

Why isn't anyone complaining about the nano? Yesterday, the price of a 4 GB nano was dropped 25% - and the newer nanos are not only 25% cheaper, but they can play VIDEO! and play GAMES! and have a BRIGHTER SCREEN! and a completely new USER INTERFACE.

Give it a rest...

i could care less about the luxury elitist bs you're talking about. i bought the phone because the UI on every other phone i've ever seen or used SUX in comparison, and i don't have to carry around a phone AND an iPod anymore.

the Nano price dropped 25% after 12 months, and everyone who reads this site [or sites like it] knew it was coming. that's a lot easier to swallow than a "much sooner and bigger than expected" 33% drop in 2 months.
  • Reply 160 of 169
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Time to lock the thread.... SJ is giving 100 in-store credit. Case closed :-p

Guys I bought my Samsung t-629 for $200 with 1 year contract in April... now they offer it with 0 with 1 year... so who got screwed worse . I don't care... that's how it goes in the cell phone industry. Different playing field guys.