Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After personally reading hundreds of emails from disgruntled iPhone customers, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs appears to have had a change of heart and now plans to offer early iPhone adopters a $100 credit towards future Apple purchases.

In an open letter to customers published on Apple's website, Jobs conceded that while the technology road is a bumpy one, Apple should have done a better job of taking care of early iPhone customers, many of which make up the company's most faithful.

"Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these," he wrote, referring Wednesday's unprecedented 33 percent price drop on the iPhone just 9 weeks after release. "Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

Details on the $100 store credit are still being worked out, according to Jobs, but will be posted on Apple's website sometime next week.

"We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers," Jobs added. "We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 314
    We won...Thanks Screw Jobs...uhh... Steve Jobs
  • Reply 2 of 314
    woohooo
  • Reply 3 of 314
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I can definitely live with this.

Way to step up Steve!
  • Reply 4 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

I can definitely live with this.

Way to step up Steve!

Nice work guys.
  • Reply 5 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    VERY smart move by Steve. A little late in coming, but it should generate considerable goodwill... or at least lessen the badwill significantly.

You just don't screw over your most ardent fans... always a bad plan. You may not pay for it intitially, but you will long-term. \

It's nice that Steve has an open mind and can change his mind once in a blue moon.

• Reply 6 of 314
    Steve,

I just want to say thank you! I makes me happy to know that you appreciate all of us that makes what you do possible. I will spend my 200 dollars wisely at your store. I just hope we can use it on Itunes also!

Cheers
  • Reply 7 of 314
    this isn't from the goodness of apple's heart - they obviously got advice from their counsel that they were at risk for a claim - - -
  • Reply 8 of 314
    Can't wait to hear from Melgross et al about this. I guess Apple didn't see it your way after all and maybe, just maybe all of the 'whiners' were not so far off-base (or as unimportant as you made them all out to be) after all...
  • Reply 9 of 314
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this isn't from the goodness of apple's heart - they obviously got advice from their counsel that they were at risk for a claim - - -

BS. There is no risk of losing a lawsuit after you lower your prices. Ever. Stop kidding yourself. It was a good move though, not out of the goodness of their heart. I'm amazed how quickly everyone seems to have forgiven - remember Apple is the company that makes 50% margins on everything - that $100 credit just means another sale for them. Duh!
  • Reply 10 of 314
    Hell. Yes.

Wow, heck of a pleasant surprise! Steve, you've got a customer for life! (Though you had one for life anyway even without the surprise. haha)
  • Reply 11 of 314
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp View Post

Can't wait to hear from Melgross et al about this. I guess Apple didn't see it your way after all and maybe, just maybe all of the 'whiners' were not so far off-base (or as unimportant as you made them all out to be) after all...

I was one of those calling people whiners, and I don't see how this changes anything. First they did not give a refund, they gave you a credit for a future sale. A future sale on which they will still make several hundred dollars from you.

Secondly, Apple's response to the overwhelming whine-fest that was on these boards yesterday does not change the fact that it was a whine-athon.
  • Reply 12 of 314
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Not necessarily. Steve Jobs is smart enough to know that the Apple fan base doesn't forget...anything. There are STILL people pissed that the Cube and Newton were discontinued. I think he understands that businesses aren't businesses without customers. They might take a hit on this now, but in the long run it will bode FAR better for them.

I personally am okay with buying a good or service for a higher price if I know the company is going to take really good care of me. That's why I use a Mac in the first place.
  • Reply 13 of 314
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

There's no possible way you can sue a company for lowering their prices. This wasn't about legal counsel, it was about making customers happy so they'd continue to lub Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 314
    Quote:

Could you please explain how dropping the price on a consumer electronics item opens Apple up to a lawsuit?

Ridiculous.

This is a gesture to stop erosion of goodwill. Nothing more.
  • Reply 15 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

BS. There is no risk of losing a lawsuit after you lower your prices. Ever. Stop kidding yourself. It was a good move though, not out of the goodness of their heart. I'm amazed how quickly everyone seems to have forgiven - remember Apple is the company that makes 50% margins on everything - that $100 credit just means another sale for them. Duh!

I think you're wrong - for reasons I've posted in other threads - i think the likihood of valid claims was high - i'm sure the class action attorneys are disappointed because at a minimum a likely settlment was just cut in half...
  • Reply 16 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I was one of those calling people whiners, and I don't see how this changes anything. First they did not give a refund, they gave you a credit for a future sale. A future sale on which they will still make several hundred dollars from you.

Secondly, Apple's response to the overwhelming whine-fest that was on these boards yesterday does not change the fact that it was a whine-athon.

Call it whatever you like, but Apple ended up seeing it their way, not yours, apparently.

Oh, and... w00t! 1,000th post!

• Reply 17 of 314
    Way to go, Apple. It's a smart business decision, and the right thing to do.

Now let's get back to making this phone the monster success that it can be. You guys keep improving the feature-set (hint: a To Do function would really be nice start!), and I'll keep proselytizing to my friends, family, co-workers, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Could you please explain how dropping the price on a consumer electronics item opens Apple up to a lawsuit?

Ridiculous.

This is a gesture to stop erosion of goodwill. Nothing more.

claims can be the basis for lawsuits - but are often resolved prior to litigation. I posted the basis for my view in other threads...
  • Reply 19 of 314
    Quote:

I think you're wrong - for reasons I've posted in other threads - i think the likihood of valid claims was high - i'm sure the class action attorneys are disappointed because at a minimum a likely settlment was just cut in half...

A company is under no obligation to sell the same product, at the same price, for any given period of time.
  • Reply 20 of 314
    I've been biting my lip since yesterday weighing Apple's justification for lowering the price (which I agree with) and that of iday buyers like myself who feel a bit cheated. I have been a complete Apple fanatic (to the extreme - consider this site) for a long time. Yesterday almost had me thinking that Steve /Apple was no different than the rest of Corporate America but today (under some pressure) He listened and responded in a very appropriate way. In the end I would have gotten over the measly 200.00 buck's (it's actually been worth it to have the phone) But I think Apples response solidifies the reason why so many enthusiast are so loyal. Today, I'm proud to be such an Apple nut and the 100.00 dollars has nothing to do with it.