Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Actually, consumer protection laws do have provisions regarding what companies can charge for similar products. Regardless, i'm not talking about a product - i'm talking about breaching contractual commitments (written and otherwise) and the remedies the breached party can seek upon breach....

Show me a link to a statute which says that a company cannot lower the price of a consumer product.

Apple were not contractually obligated to hold prices at $599.

If I recall your other posts, you claim that Apple had mentioned that software/feature upgrades were in the short-term pipeline and that Apple didn't provide these software updates prior to the price-drop.

I'm just not seeing how these dots connect in any cogent way.
  • Reply 42 of 314
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Thanks Steve, I'm extremely gruntled now.
  • Reply 43 of 314
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

BRILLIANT MARKETING MOVE

What if....this was planned out from day one of the release? Can Apple be that smart.

I wouldn't put it past them, but you can never know for sure.
  • Reply 44 of 314
    You know for a company with a market cap of 117.5 billion, I think speninf a couple of million is a great move. This means that early adopters can get say a bluetooth headset free (more or less) so in all, that is not a bad gig.

Way to go Steve, now can we get MMS and video?

Rippey
  • Reply 45 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

VERY smart move by Steve. A little late in coming, but it should generate considerable goodwill... or at least lessen the badwill significantly.

Late in coming? Its been barely over 24 hours since the price drop announcement.

This is a bigger deal than you realize. Apple was getting something like 300 dollars profit for each 8gig iPhone. Apple just slashed all profits from their iPhone sales approximately 33%.

Considering they already sold enough to make September the month they sold their millionth iPhone, lets take an educated guess that they've sold like 600k since launch. That means 60 million dollars in refunds. Not exactly "chump change", even to a company like Apple.

Compare this to the Red Ring of Death issue with Xbox 360's. Microsoft didn't update the warranty until july 2007, and the 360 launched in may 2005.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Job's Letter

We want to do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers. We apologize for disappointing some of you, and we are doing our best to live up to your high expectations of Apple.

Fanboy's of Apple arn't the most annoying thing about Apple to me, it's all the people who browse the rumor forums and whine about how every new hardware or software or service from Apple isn't perfect. If it wern't for the fact that I prefer AppleInsider's articles, I would rather lurk around MacRumors. The posters there are a lot more forgiving than 95% of the people from here.
  • Reply 46 of 314
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    At the risk of giving Apple too much credit here, did anyone else feel that the Starbucks move may actually represent the first (possibly) successful (but under-the-radar) credit-device?

How much of a stretch is it to add one-click wi-fi order and purchase of a latte as you approach the store. Expand iTunes just a bit to handle other types of transaction, ans voila.. AppleBank?

hmmmm...
  • Reply 47 of 314
    Happy now? Ya Babies
  • Reply 48 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

At the risk of giving Apple too much credit here, did anyone else feel that the Starbucks move may actually represent the first (possibly) successful (but under-the-radar) credit-device?

How much of a stretch is it to add one-click wi-fi order and purchase of a latte as you approach the store. Expand iTunes just a bit to handle other types of transaction, ans voila.. AppleBank?

hmmmm...

Interesting thought. LOL

Great Move STEVE

Now they get to sell even more Apple products

Watch Apple stock tomorrow.
  • Reply 49 of 314
    Has anyone seen DIGG?

I have never seen the counter move so fast. Apple fan boys are amazing!

It is on pace to top the list in less than an hour!

http://www.digg.com/all/popular/24hours
  • Reply 50 of 314
    ...where's my other 100 hundred dollars? I believe I lost two hundred to this deal.
  • Reply 51 of 314
    I have yet to buy an iPhone but I definitely felt empathy to all who had and while it's not an exact refund of $200.00 or even $100.00, a $100.00 in store credit is at least an attempt by Steve Jobs and Apple to make things right... Afterall, was it not Steve Jobs who said at the introduction of the iTunes Music Store a few years back that buying from iTMS instead of peer to peer file sharing was good Karma? Glad to see a little good Karma from SJ!

To all who said get over the $200.00 price reduction and stop whinning...

Remember this, "it is the squeaky wheel that gets greased"!

Happy for my fellow Apple aficionados
  • Reply 52 of 314
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

BRILLIANT MARKETING MOVE

what if....this was planned out from day one of the release? Can Apple be that smart?

How many people on the planet now know the iPhone is $399 ?

no such thing as bad press.

makes you go hmmmm.

His letter isn't dated so you must be right. Good move Steve!

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/
  • Reply 53 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Show me a link to a statute which says that a company cannot lower the price of a consumer product.

Apple were not contractually obligated to hold prices at $599.

If I recall your other posts, you claim that Apple had mentioned that software/feature upgrades were in the short-term pipeline and that Apple didn't provide these software updates prior to the price-drop.

I'm just not seeing how these dots connect in any cogent way.

I didn't say that a company can never lower the price of a consumer product - I suggested that consumer protection laws did regulate pricing practices. I'm sorry you can't see how to connect the dots - I doubt I can help you on that front.
  • Reply 54 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh for christ's sake... now we have to listen to the whiners gloat as well.

This nation has been breeding huge numbers of whiners over the past few decades. It's only going to get worse as these whiners start breeding with each other.
  • Reply 55 of 314
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    this is why i'm an apple guy,,,,,,,would ANY OTHER tech company do this????? no way, what about a cellular carrier...no way.....apple is showing the way to a better relationship with wireless customers

BRAVO SJ
  • Reply 56 of 314
    from the open letter "Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store. Details are still being worked out and will be posted on Apple's website next week. Stay tuned."

To get the rebate - I bet each iphone owner will have to agree to some a contractual provision to give up claims related to the ownership of the subject iphone. I believe this is worded this way because Apple believed otherwise they risked claims...
  • Reply 57 of 314
    Take it and dont moan guys. You wouldnt see Nokia handing out these sort of credits for any misdoings.
  • Reply 58 of 314
    All that has been done by complaining about normal decreases in pricing is that next time Apple won't decrease the price. Or they will decrease it by $50 instead.

All that the complaining has done is to make everyone who buys Apple products pay more in the future.

Thanks for nothing!
  • Reply 59 of 314
    But of course, everybody here that didn't mind the $200 price drop and called people whiners won't be taking up Apple's $100 credit offer, right?
  • Reply 60 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timewarp424 View Post

...where's my other 100 hundred dollars? I believe I lost two hundred to this deal.

You forgot to add the just joking icon to your post. You are are kidding riiiight?