Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 314
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

To all who said get over the $200.00 price reduction and stop whinning...

Remember this, "it is the squeaky wheel that gets greased"!

Yes, and the ethic of self determination takes another body blow.
  • Reply 102 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Yes, that is all cynically true. This is a symbolic gesture with concrete value. We'd all spend the money at the Apple Store anyway.

It's not cynically it was a really smart PR move. If people spend it on hardward that 100.00 right there is cut in half for Apple when it comes to profit loss. If its spend on something like Leopard it just relates into getting more copies out there which will look better for their company hense increasing stock.

For Apple its really a no lose situation. A true give back would have been in the form of 100.00 rebate checks.

I mean I can care less I don't own an iPhone and won't until its been around a gen or two. I just funny how people think they won something, they didn't they got talked into loving Apple again and even better spending more money.
  • Reply 103 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this isn't from the goodness of apple's heart - they obviously got advice from their counsel that they were at risk for a claim - - -

That's just you imagination.

They decided that they didn't want the negitive publicity from some people ho would continue to complain, so they decided to do this.

Smart move, but not a legal consideration at all.
  • Reply 104 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp View Post

Can't wait to hear from Melgross et al about this. I guess Apple didn't see it your way after all and maybe, just maybe all of the 'whiners' were not so far off-base (or as unimportant as you made them all out to be) after all...

Ah, you just don't understand, do you?

Apple is doing this to cut off a continued loud debate from those "whiners". That's all.

It's publicity. Makes Apple look generous.
  • Reply 105 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You may have posted it before, but that doesn't make it any less crazy. You can't be sued for setting the price of your good. What do you think this is, Russia? Do you have a contract that somehow you can prove Apple violated?

apparently, you'd be surprised by what you can be sued for (although, I never said you could be sued for "setting the price of your good." Once again - consuemr protection laws do regulate certain prcing practices. Did you know , for instance, in spite of our gun lobbies, that it's illegal to use a spring gun (capable of deadly force) to protect your property?
  • Reply 106 of 314
    Quote:

I think you're wrong - for reasons I've posted in other threads - i think the likihood of valid claims was high - i'm sure the class action attorneys are disappointed because at a minimum a likely settlment was just cut in half...

Why don't you actually consult an attorney about this, instead of making outrageous claims that aren't true?
  • Reply 107 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

"My way" does not disagree with Apple's way - they threw their customers a bone to get more business in the future. I can't believe those whiners are placated by a discount off future purchases! Hilarious!

And yet their complaints produced a result. Which is more than I can say for the disparagement they received.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, 'cuz I'm not an early iPhone adopter. But still, after listening to both sides, I gotta say:

"GO WHINERS!!"

• Reply 108 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple is doing this to cut off a continued loud debate from those "whiners". That's all.

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Reply 109 of 314
    Quote:

claims can be the basis for lawsuits - but are often resolved prior to litigation. I posted the basis for my view in other threads...

A lawsuit can also be thrown out of court for being frivolous.

If it obvoiusly doesn't meet the level required for a suit, Apple can ask that it be dismissed.

I would be surprised if a competent attorney would take a case like this.
  • Reply 110 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think most people understand the nature of the credit already... its not cash, its store credit. And yes, I'm sure most ppl get that it doesn't cost Apple $100 to give them $100 worth of product.

Even so, its not chump change. Depending on whose figures you listen to, somewhere around 700k iPhones have been sold at the higher price. Multiply that by $100 a pop, and that's somewhere around $70 million that Apple's giving back in store credit. Not exactly chump change, no matter how you slice it.

And I don't really share your gripe over 'having to spend money to get money back' thing. First off, it isn't even true... if I got the $100 store credit, I could just walk into an Apple Store, buy a Shuffle, and call it a day... and Apple doesn't get any more money out of me.

Yes, I'm sure a few ppl who are 'on the fence' about an Apple purchase will be persuaded by the store credit to open their pocketbooks. What of it? They kinda wanted to buy whatever it is anyway, and now they're getting a better deal. Hard to cry about that. \

Yes, extremeskater, I do get that Apple is NOT doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. The iPhone is their brand spanking-new baby business that they hope to grow hugely in coming years, and they very much want to protect it any way they can. And this store credit thing is part of that.

But that said, I find it hard to moan about the glass being half-empty. In a lot of other situations, a company would've said 'tough' and no one would've gotten a thing.

So... I'm supposed to be mad at Apple for this... why? \

I didn't say mad, im not mad I don't own an iphone, in fact im happy I just got back a 200.00 iPod rebate check today so im a happy camper.

I was simply commenting on the "we won" attitude. I am still shocked that Apple decided to do this give back I think its bad business, technology drops like a rock in price all the time and this would have been a good wake up call for anyone that doesn't realize that.

I also would have liked to see Apple price drop more often rather than always waiting until a new gen comes out before ever reducing market prices even when they go down.

In the end the few that bitched could have very well ended up screwing us all, I find it very unlikely that Apple will consider price droping ever again and sticking with the same price as always until a new model is introduced.

As and example the previous iMac was on the market longer than most models yet never dropped in price, upgrades never dropped in price for over a year, it would be nice to see Apple take the approach the rest of the world takes by modifing prices throughout the product cycle.

Of course thats just my opinion im sure everyone would like to think their hardware is going to be worth the same forever.
  • Reply 111 of 314
    oh Mel, you just keep thinking that, ok?

Quote:

• Reply 112 of 314
    Quote:

Actually, consumer protection laws do have provisions regarding what companies can charge for similar products. Regardless, i'm not talking about a product - i'm talking about breaching contractual commitments (written and otherwise) and the remedies the breached party can seek upon breach....

So far, you haven't shown us any contractual obligations that they did breach.

Show us something that they did. Not just you feelings about it, as you have been doing.

We all have our opinions here, but you are making statements of "fact". You haven't shown any of them to be true.
  • Reply 113 of 314
    Quote:

Why don't you actually consult an attorney about this, instead of making outrageous claims that aren't true?

Perhaps you should consult with an attorney and learn more about contract law, contracts, promises, implied promises and enforceablility. Also - may want to consult on legal implications of statement by officers of companies in their capacity as such...
  • Reply 114 of 314
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

consuemr protection laws do regulate certain prcing practices. Did you know , for instance, in spite of our gun lobbies, that it's illegal to use a spring gun (capable of deadly force) to protect your property?

What kind of a dummy thinks the second sentence follows logically from the first. Go away baby.
  • Reply 115 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberdish View Post

I'd like to point out the obvious inequality of this refund - - I didn't buy an iphone and now I don't get a $100 gift certificate even though I have been forced to read all these whiner forums that go on and on ad nauseum. Hey AI! can you give me a refund for my wasted time here?

AI will refund you half of the time you wasted reading whiners on the forum. However, you must spend all refunded time on future AI threads.
  • Reply 116 of 314
    I love my iPhone. It was worth the price (especially after using it for two months+). However, now I am even more satisfied. Got a cigar? Wait, I don't smoke.
  • Reply 117 of 314
    Quote:

That's just you imagination.

They decided that they didn't want the negitive publicity from some people ho would continue to complain, so they decided to do this.

Smart move, but not a legal consideration at all.

He did the politically correct thing.
  • Reply 118 of 314
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I too was in the early-adopter-but-not-whiner comp. I didnt' expect to get anything back and now I'll get a $100 credit. All smiles here now.
  • Reply 119 of 314
    Sry, dbl post.
  • Reply 120 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

In the end the few that bitched could have very well ended up screwing us all, I find it very unlikely that Apple will consider price dropping ever again and sticking with the same price as always until a new model is introduced.

I understand your concern, but I don't think its really a problem.

Apple has a history of usually not price dropping quickly anyway (I'm sure Mel or someone could nitpick the exceptions, but by and large its true). The iPhone was an exception due to the iTouch being introduced, and the need for Apple to have it not cannibalize their iPhone business. Which it would've, had Apple left the old iPhone price points intact.

Notice that the iPhone price drop and the iTouch introduction happened on the same day? Not an accident.

Take that away, and we're back to business as usual, i.e. Apple not being quick to price drop. I don't think the complainers are going to impact that one way or the other, as that's just solid business stratgegy far as Apple is concerned.