Thoughts on Touch?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I freakin love the touch iPod. I was flipping out. The only downside to that was the 16gb harddrive that is aweful. I looked at my iTunes library and I have over 16gb. So, Im about to clean that thing up, and delete stuff I just never listen to. What are your thoughts, other than the capacity, this thing is GOLD!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    It needs a camera. I want an iPod with a camera more than I want an iPod with the internet.

It needs a song-sender thing. But better than the Zunes.

It needs IM, mail, google maps, stocks, and weather... It has the internet....

I'm still going to get one though :P
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I think Mail, and iChat would have been nice, but I'll gladly pay 5 bucks each to download those programs. Im sure someone will create versions of both programs, so im not worried. Im buying an 8 gig. I have a mini, so its like getting 4 extra gigs for video. 8gb is more then enough for me, as I dont need all 14 gigs of my music with me at all times. Only 3 gigs of it is good. It also would have been nice if they had them in stores now. Im super excited though.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    The capacity is as good as you can expect using flash memory right now. A few thoughts occur to me. First, I'm not sure what role the iPod touch is supposed to play, but I'd guess Apple hopes to up sell people to the iPhone. It's a neat device to be sure, but honestly I would not want to carry both it and a cell phone. I don't expect Apple to add texting, email, or natively support VOIP on it; so unless you're really into watching video, or want to use it as a PDA (which it really isn't yet) I can't see the value in getting it. The benefit of the Touch is that it gives you the iPhone experience (some might say the best of it) without having to deal with At&T. So if you're happy with your cell phone service, or you can't switch right now, it might be the way to go. One problem that I see is the weird pricing.

iPhone 8 GB $399 (all features, less storage than iPod Touch 16)

iPod Touch 8 GB $299 (no e-mail client, no texting, no VOIP)

iPod Touch 16 GB $399 (see above, 8 GB of extra storage)

Which is the better deal? I'd say the 8 GB with the iPhone coming in second
  • Reply 4 of 12
    With the Ipod touch, are you able to add/edit/delete contacts, and write/edit/delete calendar entries and notes, etc. like on the iPhone, or is it all read-only like on the older iPods?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'd guess you can, but you should take a look at Apple's page about it. They have a intro video that I didn't get a chance to finish. It might be there.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I like it. I don't think that some of the comparisons with the iPhone is fair, imho. The way I understand it, the Touch is conceptually an AV device, very much like the original iPods. The iPhone as a communications device has all those apps and perks that support it's "reason for being" (if you will).

The Touch doesn't need all that as much because it is a playback and storage device - BUT it does have Safari + WiFi capabilities that will give us some ability to access the internet for Google Maps, for example or give us the convenience to research / buy AV media on the go.

Should it have a camera as well? Not that important to me as well I suppose - just seems to be another item that could bump the price point higher from a price range that seems rather fair. Anyway, you all's mileage may vary.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

With the Ipod touch, are you able to add/edit/delete contacts, and write/edit/delete calendar entries and notes, etc. like on the iPhone, or is it all read-only like on the older iPods?

I'd like to know this too. If so, I very well may use this as my next PDA when my Palm craps out. I really only use the calendar and contacts on it anyway, so this would work well for me.

I'm happy with T-Mobile, and although having the iPhone would be really nice, I wouldn't need one bad enough to justify leaving T-Mo.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkelly View Post

It needs a camera. I want an iPod with a camera more than I want an iPod with the internet.

It needs a song-sender thing. But better than the Zunes.

It needs IM, mail, google maps, stocks, and weather... It has the internet....

I'm still going to get one though :P

When you get it, make some bookmarks -

* iGoogle (if you have a gmail) or My Yahoo or something similar for weather and stocks.

* The webmail page for whatever email account you have, or something like mail2web.com

* one of the IM web clients for the iPhone

* Google maps (if you havent got it already on your iGoogle page)

All of these should work pretty well on an iPhone or touch.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacsRbetterthanPC View Post

I freakin love the touch iPod. I was flipping out. The only downside to that was the 16gb harddrive that is aweful. I looked at my iTunes library and I have over 16gb. So, Im about to clean that thing up, and delete stuff I just never listen to. What are your thoughts, other than the capacity, this thing is GOLD!

It does not need a camera, it's still primarily an iPod. Only things missing for me: a little more memory (not that big of a deal), GPS (would be great, not gonna happen) and Bluetooth option for wireless stereo headphones... Oh, well!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It does not need a camera, it's still primarily an iPod. Only things missing for me: a little more memory (not that big of a deal), GPS (would be great, not gonna happen) and Bluetooth option for wireless stereo headphones... Oh, well!

might have bluetooth support:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/ipo...ort-296938.php

I supposed this might then also allow apps like VOIP to work on the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I like the new touch iPods. As far as mail, I can read my cox email on the web. So I don't need an email app.

What I wish the touch iPod had was a way to connect it to your computer like it was another computer so you could boot off of it. I also wish it had an memory card slot so you could increase it's memory.

I hope it has a version of OS X running it so that we can 'mess' around a little.

Finally, I hope that people can write apps for it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Assuming the following senario is what happens - iphone ships to EU in its 2G state with no imporvments over the US version.

Then I think the touch will take on a significant importance to Europeans as it would allow us to keep our HSDPA, 5MP phones and at the same time still enjoy the best bits of the iphone as lets face is, I doubt the majority will be willing to regress several yearts in technology in terms of functionality just for the sake of the user interface, not when they can now get that alone in the touch right?