High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod "tubby" nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Although not expected until later this weekend, the first shipments of Apple's new iPod "tubby" nano -- aka iPod "fatboy", iPod "phatty", iPod "bilbo", iPod "stubby", and iPod "biggie smalls" -- began cropping up at the company's retail stores Thursday afternoon.

Having a large stash of previous-generation iPods in either white, grey or black, we initially intended to pick up a red iPod "tubby" nano to mix things up a bit. That was, of course, before we found out that the red model is anything but red. In person, it looks more like a sparkly magenta-cranberry, or something you might come across in a lip-gloss aisle.

The black and grey models aside, the remainder of the new nano line appears best suited for party favors at a baby shower, or even a spring line of bonnets at your local Baby Gap. So if you're a dude, you may best want to shy away from those. Even the black, however, is not really black. It's more of a deep charcoal when compared to last year's model.

Nevertheless, we must admit that the players are somewhat more aesthetically pleasing in person than they appear in Apple's marketing material. They'd be even more appealing had they come wrapped entirely in brushed aluminum, rather than sport the old-school, mirror-like backside. (Within five minutes, several scratches appeared on the back of our nano and we hadn't even switched the darn thing on.)

Included with each of the new video-capable players is a Quick Start guide, dock adapter, USB charging cord, and a pair of second-generation iPod earbuds. Yeah -- Apple's still skimping on the ear pads, which couldn't cost more than a dime a dozen. You'll have to fetch those on your own.

We'll have a full-blown review for you shortly. In the meantime, enjoy the close-ups.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think that's pretty nice. I'm not so hot with the hold switch location, I hope that works out, it would seem that it would be harder to set. I've never had problems with the hold switch previous models accidentally getting switched on or off. That said, I don't think I really needed it before the nano, it's too easy to accidentally dial the volume, even through clothing. Oh well. I'm more than happy with my current nano, if I accidentally kill it, I'll consider this as its replacement.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    i liked the fact there was a zune ad in the middle

its not as ugly as i originally thought
  • Reply 3 of 60
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    it looks Gorgeous!

they should have switched on and put side by side with 2G iPod Nano and iPod that makes lots of sense, AI can do that?
  • Reply 4 of 60
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Is that an arm hair I see next to the click wheel? I hope it's an arm hair...
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

it looks Gorgeous!

they should have switched on and put side by side with 2G iPod Nano and iPod that makes lots of sense, AI can do that?

I take back my comment about it being fugly.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Sweet
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Does that look like a recessed headphone jack?! Oh no, please tell me it's not.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XPDude View Post

Oh don't panic. Its not.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I'm starting to really really like 'Fatboy Slim'. Watching video on that is really quite an awesome thought. That's the wifes birthday present sorted. (I'm a man therfore I need the full 160GB baby)
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XPDude View Post

Yep one more recessive Apple product. I am predicting that the screen will soon be recessed and we will all need to buy special glasses to use them because our eyes will be considered outdated.

Seriously I actually like the look of the iTubby. It matches my body shape.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    OK so let's just look at how healthy he looks -- forget the ultra-thin (anorectic?) previous model.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

I'm starting to really really like 'Fatboy Slim'. Watching video on that is really quite an awesome thought. That's the wifes birthday present sorted. (I'm a man therfore I need the full 160GB baby)

You NEED a 160 baby? Come on. No one needs any of this stuff. Its all just great fun to have. I was speaking to a checkout person yesterday and she realised I owned an iPod nano and she said do you have Mac computers. I said yes. She said "Addictive isn't it. I so want a new iMac". I said I think they look wrong... but I want want too. I am so addicted that I have even purchased Apple gear on credit. So don't get me wrong about wanting this stuff. I am just not delusional enough to think I NEED to have an iPod with 160Gb.... but I am working up to it.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    I still think the 2G is the superior design. The long seam where the front shell and the "scratch me to hell" back meet is worse then the small seam on the caps of the 2G nano.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    I think the centre button of the click wheel is a bit too big in proportion to the diameter of the rest of the click wheel, and the circle hold button isn't something I'm fond of either, but otherwise no complaints.

/Adrian
  • Reply 15 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Scratchy scratchy!
  • Reply 16 of 60
    I can't believe the nano has a larger screen than my 4G iPod. The thing looks delicious, too.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Is that an arm hair I see next to the click wheel? I hope it's an arm hair...

Nasty!
  • Reply 18 of 60
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I just hope Apple has learned their lesson.

If they EVER drop the price on this I will start a whine campaign until I get my credit...
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Is the back still stainless steel?
  • Reply 20 of 60
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    Ye shall call it the fatboy nano and none other henceforth!