Apple to offer early iPhone adopters $100 credit - Jobs

Comments

• Reply 201 of 314
    Awesome, they did the right thing. They just paid for my dot mac renewal due at months end
  • Reply 202 of 314
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Just wanted to say: I am going to open a psychic hotline.....

Originally posted by SDW2001:

Quote:

My feeling is that if Apple wants to avoid some bad PR, they'll issue a price guarantee/rebate for anyone that bought an iPhone the last 30 days. It would be expensive, but not that expensive. Or, they could offer them store credit for the same amount. That would actually be a much better idea. Make people use it on an Apple product.

You know it.
  • Reply 203 of 314
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member

• Reply 204 of 314
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

why do you always have 10,330 posts - shouldn't the number be changing each time?

11% of those polled. Not all college students are strapped for cash. Somehow, they manage to find enough to drink themselves into a stupor once a week, if the studies on that are correct.
  • Reply 205 of 314
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for melgross!
  • Reply 206 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

What the hell are you talking about??

Don't even begin to think that my post proves your point, that is a very childish response, my post was there to highlight your ridiculous statements about how Apple throwing you a bone somewhow vindicates your actions.

And please explain how taking my post and making certain words bold change anything, how does that mean i was screaming, in fact what was your point? was there a point? And if my mom was alive she probably would not mind even if i was screaming, she would have been just as eager to find out if you actually have a point as i am.

To repeat, a victory earned by making yourself look like a fool is not really a victory and it certainly does not make anyone else who called you a fool wrong.

Get out, take a walk, and breathe some fresh air, dude. You sound like you're about to lose it. Please get a grip.

Look, here's a deal to help you calm down: Send me a private message with a mailing address, and I'll send you my $100 Apple rebate check. Will that help you calm down?
  • Reply 207 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

why do you always have 10,330 posts - shouldn't the number be changing each time?

Why do you always have 52?
  • Reply 208 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Not anything?

In truth, well, maybe a couple of times, with just one thing......

• Reply 209 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Us agreeing? Mel, don't make me look around for signs of the impending Apocalypse.

What are you talking about?

We agree most of the time.
  • Reply 210 of 314
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Anyone here who thinks Apple "capitulated" to "whiners" is, excuse me, a moron - Apple should have done this proactively, not reactively.

bla

bla

bla

you show there is no reason to read the rest of your post when you contradicted yourself in the first sentence.

To paraphrase: "Apple didn't capitualte to whiners - they capitulated to whiners."
  • Reply 211 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What are you talking about?

We agree most of the time.

We do?? I don't remember any of that.

Man, I gotta stop drinking.

• Reply 212 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

you show there is no reason to read the rest of your post when you contradicted yourself in the first sentence.

To paraphrase: "Apple didn't capitualte [sic] to whiners - they capitulated to whiners."

I think you may have an issue understanding the cause and the effect in his statement.
  • Reply 213 of 314
    Quote:

We do?? I don't remember any of that.

Man, I gotta stop drinking.

Good suggestion, even if you made it yourself.
  • Reply 214 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

At the risk of giving Apple too much credit here, did anyone else feel that the Starbucks move may actually represent the first (possibly) successful (but under-the-radar) credit-device?

How much of a stretch is it to add one-click wi-fi order and purchase of a latte as you approach the store. Expand iTunes just a bit to handle other types of transaction, ans voila.. AppleBank?

hmmmm...

good creative thinking. and feasible, surely.
  • Reply 215 of 314
    A guy I knew here in Japan once bought a refrigerator form a small, family-run goods shop. Three months later it went on sale for 25% off. He threw a tantrum and complained for weeks. Finally the store caved and gave him the difference, primarily because they were losing money because customers didn't want to come in to the shop and hear the constant oral diarrhea. The guy was really proud of himself for having stood up to the store. He had won! He had saved about 200 bucks.

The store was in the red for the month the guy was complaining, and the owner's son decided he didn't want to go into the business if he would have to deal with jerks like that (he was 13). Nobody won.
  • Reply 216 of 314
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you may have an issue understanding the cause and the effect in his statement.

Apparently!
  • Reply 217 of 314
    Quote:

Mm... I don't think 'they didn't think before they bought' is really a valid argument in this case. Apple, after all, has a history of NOT doing huge early price drops, but rather, of maintaining prices as long as possible (features/capacity usually gets added instead).

There's really no way the early adopters could've seen it coming. $200 drop less than 10 weeks out? Let's be fair here... NO ONE was predicting that. \

Lets be fair, it was a big price cut. But when you buy a brand new product from a company that has just entered into a brand new market for that company, this is a potential outcome. Everyone complaining has expected Apple to enter a faster moving market than the computer/music player industry and behave the same way. That wasn't a smart judgement. If the product isn't selling as well as was forecasted, or sold better than forecasted, the price will have to be dropped, that is the nature of the cell phone industry, for whatever reason.

And more over, it wouldn't surprise me if this version of the iPhone is gone in less than 6 months in leu of the 3G version. Read the comments in the open letter as well as the 'technology lane' comments on other news sources by Jobs. They are greasing the skids for the next 'correction' or update to the HW of the iphone.
  • Reply 218 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Good suggestion, even if you made it yourself.

Yeah. Either that or the pink elephant standing next to me... its hard to tell.

C'mon Mel, loosen up. I know it's hard for ya, 'cuz you're... Mel, but still.

• Reply 219 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Lets be fair, it was a big price cut. But when you buy a brand new product from a company that has just entered into a brand new market, this is a potential outcome. Everyone complaining has expected Apple to enter a faster moving market than the computer/music player industry and behave the same way. That wasn't a smart judgement. If the product isn't selling as well as was forecasted, or sold better than forecasted, the price will have to be dropped, that is the nature of the cell phone industry, for whatever reason.

And more over, it wouldn't surprise me if this version of the iPhone is gone in less than 6 months in leu of the 3G version. Read the comments in the open letter as well as the 'technology lane' comments on other news sources by Jobs. They are greasing the skids for the next 'correction' or update to the HW of the iphone.

The cellphone market has been around for 20 years. It's dynamic, yes, but no more so than many other technology devices. The MP3 player market is far newer.

I do agree that there'll be a 3G iPhone out in a few months, and prolly when it happens, we'll be hearing a few complaints from the 2G owners... though nothing like this.

• Reply 220 of 314
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get out, take a walk, and breathe some fresh air, dude. You sound like you're about to lose it. Please get a grip.

Look, here's a deal to help you calm down: Send me a private message with a mailing address, and I'll send you my $100 Apple rebate check. Will that help you calm down?

Hehe, brilliant, you are so clever dude, never saw that cheeky little manuvure coming!! Well done, nice sidestep! you are getting good at that. You are right, i am raging over this, i have been throwing furniture around my apartment, punching walls and everything, God i am a real rager, imagine using 2 quotation marks after each sentence, somebody lock me up before i hurt someone.

Classic Apple fanbois behaviour that is, instead of actually making a point and explaining it when asked just carry on slinging mud around and confusing the issue becasue in the end we will all forget what the point was and you end up looking whiter than white, i mean poor you having all these angry people shouting at you all day.

And no, you keep your $100, you earned it pal, i mean all that crying and whining could not have been easy, you go and get yourself a new laptop bag or something and enjoy it, a job well done.