Microsoft slashes Zune pricing ahead of Apple iPod event

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Yeah, you kinda feel bad for 'em. There's not much for them to say beyond "Duhhh, looks like Apple ate our lunch again. Please do something, ANYTHING, MS! Crap out some magic!"

Just not gonna happen. MS doesn't have the right corporate culture to do what Apple does, what they have instead is a 'good enough' product culture that's been fat and lazy for far too long. On a level playing field, they get their asses kicked. The end. \

There's not much else to say there. Even their one alleged 'beeg' success outside of Windows and Office, the Xbox, has lost them billions, and is being overshadowed by the Wii, of all things. And all the best employees, the ones that could reinvigorate the company, are leaving for Google or Web 2.0 startups.

Gates is smart, and is getting out at the right time. If MS was mediocre before, we haven't seen anything yet.

• Reply 82 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I do think [MS's goal of 1 million Zunes sold by end of the FY] matters for both psychological, and political reasons.

MS didn't make the announcement about how many they would sell by the end of June until after more than 2 months had gone by.

By then, the holiday season was over, which they could have expected to get a big lift from.

They then knew just how many they had sold, and could make a prediction that they were (hopefully, for them) certain they would at least make, if not break.

The fact that it turned out to be so low was surprising, considering their push, but they had to say something.

If they met that goal, then they could say that.

This way they could deter analysts from saying it was a flop, because they could counter with the fact that it was their goal all along.

Yeah, its the classic 'set the bar very low, and then pretend you did something awesome when you clear it' strategy.

The problem is, the Zune has hit the market with such a resounding and persistent 'thud', both in sales and in mindshare, that even that bit of PR gamesmanship doesn't matter anymore. There's a tiny core of MS zealots who may care. No one else really does, not anymore. \

• Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have actually seen three [Zunes] (four, if you count the fact that two people were sharing earbuds. Funny that was something Ballmer said wouldn't happen, because of the WiFi. But, that would mean that the other person would have to buy one too.).

I almost feel bad... I have NEVER seen a Zune in the wild, not a one.

It's kind of like that old Leonard Nimoy program, 'In Search Of', where they'd try to find the Abominable Snowman or Bigfoot. I keep hoping I'll run across some poor guy with one, just to break the streak of no sightings. But I never do...

• Reply 84 of 90
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

Agreed. I see dozens of iPods here on campus daily. Never once in the past year ever seen a Zune.

Seriously. That's pretty sad.

I own one.

/hides
  • Reply 85 of 90
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I own one.

/hides

Aren't you pissed that after your purchase the bastards slash the price? Oops, sorry wrong product.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    Is Microsoft really even competition to Apple?

All MS really has is Windows (and we all know what a hit Vista is), Office, and XBox.

Vista is such a hit that Windows XP is still their most popular product, according to their website.

Office is Office ... nothing new and inovative about it ... ever.

XBox ... it's popular ... but makes them no money.

You really have to search on their website to even find the Zune.

Plus, their site has a total "Corporate" feel to it and is not consumer friendly at all.

MS ... Jack of all Trades, Master of None
  • Reply 87 of 90
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    What Apple has to worry about is not so much the player as much as the content. Apple has the best players around but iTunes is only strong because it's easy to use and people are locked into it having iPods. What I worry about happening are more NBC style rebellions coupled with other companies gaining content because Apple won't deal with them. Unless Apple can convince content companies that it's still the only game in town they might be in for trouble. Somebody recently asked Steve Jobs what he wished Apple was better at and he replied working with our partners better. NBC might have been wrong but the fact remains Apple lost their content and they can't afford to do that.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    I think you guys are missing out on the whole zune experience. The Zune is like a commemorative stamp or a limited run figure. You're not supposed to use it. Buy it. Keep it in the original wrapper. Ten years from now, it'll be worth its weight in gold on eBay. It was an antique the minute it hit the street. The turdy brown color contributes to the whole effect.

You guys are missing out on the real Zune Experience.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    will M$ be giving rebates for early Zune adopters?
  • Reply 90 of 90
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    nbc is now on amazon.....how long will it take nbc to figure that amazon sells many less than itunes...which is the dominant download market....AT THE SAME ITUNES PRICE......how does the ceo face stockholders with a REDUCTION in online revenues for the big fall season. nbc has shot itself in the groin and apple nows it.....others are watching very closely because the time to get the big bucks for the season packages is as they start not when they finish. i'd rather be in apples shoes than nbc's