High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod "tubby" nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Is the back still stainless steel?

I sure as hell hope not. That's the worst idea Apple has ever come up with. Scratches and smears galore...
  • Reply 22 of 60
    I like the OS X reminiscent welcome message in the choose the language screen.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

I sure as hell hope not. That's the worst idea Apple has ever come up with. Scratches and smears galore...

It is, and it scratches like crazy. The "red" nano was also a real disappointment. I don't see how they can call it a product (RED) nano. It's just NOT red.

Best,

K
  • Reply 24 of 60
    I was in the mall tonight and stopped by the Apple store. The Nano was not on display, but I went to the register and saw someone buying the Red one. It did not look very "red" but it looked TINY.

I asked if they had a black one, and I bought it for my wife. We have been playing with it for a couple of hours, and I think Apple has a big hit on their hands. It feels much smaller than the old Nano, and the screen is fantastic. I would have preferred no chrome on the back as it scratches easily, but it is a great iPod, and they will sell a ton of them.

Like the original Nano, you really have to hold it to feel just how tiny it is.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcw120 View Post

I would have preferred no chrome on the back as it scratches easily, but it is a great iPod, and they will sell a ton of them.

I might just use a little steel wool or sandpaper on it and take care of that problem right off the bat. I've used sleeves for my older bigger iPods but this nano seems too small for any kind of sleeve or case.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    I think I'm going to buy one of these with my $200 gift certificate I'm getting from Apple for my 2 iPhone purchases.

Stubby, Fat, Pleasantly Plump, or whatever you want to call it, I think it looks great. Well done Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I might just use a little steel wool or sandpaper on it and take care of that problem right off the bat.

No, that will scratch it more.

The correct way of descratching iPods is to use Brasso, a microfibre cloth, and some elbow grease.

http://todd.dailey.info/archives/200...can-of-brasso/

(Brasso is suitable for the plastic shell, the screen and the stainless steel backplate.)
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Does anyone know if 1st or 2nd generation (they are different) "lanyard" headphones will fit into this 3rd generation nano?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ind=MA360G%2FB

The Apple accessories page doesn't list 3rd gen compatibility, but it may not have been updated yet.

I have a sneaking suspicion it will need yet another generation lanyard connector. And I don't even think the 2nd gen got in-ear buds. Sigh.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

No, that will scratch it more.

The correct way of descratching iPods is to use Brasso, a microfibre cloth, and some elbow grease.

No, I mean I'll take fine sandpaper to it and just totally scratch it, making my own brushed-metal. Then you'll never see any accidental scratches or fingerprints. Thanks for the tips though.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

Is the back still stainless steel?

The only color good for the FatPod is? BROWN !
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Does it really reserve the right hand side of the screen for 'album art'? As someone with absolutely no interest in filling up the storage with unwanted graphics I was hoping this could be turned off and the whole screen used for the menu system.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    8gb damn, i have 17gb of music,

and the itouch with only 16 gb double damn.

nothing here for me this year , maybe next memory upgrade?

\
  • Reply 33 of 60
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    It looks nice, but what's up with the asymetric black borders around the screen? Fatter border on the sides than on the top/bottom of the screen. It kind of makes it look like a design flaw.

Btw, is it possible to define my own EQ on the new iPod OS? The presets are mostly unusable.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Right now the best value of all iPods is iPhone ! Fatso with video, classic with 160 gb, touch stripped of camera - boils down to who the F cares; Apparently the battle is on the cellphone market and that is where the value is right now. iPods are still phenomenal products but again we're all now on the wrong side of ipod monopoly equation...
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Looks great in context, I think there will be tons of people who flipflop on the "fugly" thing. I guess we've all forgotten that initally there was a similar "fugly" complaint when the video ipods first shipped that went away when people first saw the units.

Thanks for the pix, it's great to see the 2 and 3 nanos side by side. It's funny, looking at the two together, the fatty looks right to me while the previous one looks way too skinny and out of proportion. I think a lot of it is just a matter of getting used to a particular design and being resistant to change.

How about a pic of the nanos together with the screens on? I'd love to see the comparison of the two screen sizes and how the new interface compares. That's what's really going to make these fly off the shelves and make people forget about the old ones.

And do these new ones seem like they'd need a case? I don't care about scratching the back, but I'd like to keep the screen pretty pristine.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    The true American iPod. How does it feel though?
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I just hope Apple has learned their lesson.

If they EVER drop the price on this I will start a whine campaign until I get my credit...

The "whiners" have stopped.

Why haven't you?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcw120 View Post

I was in the mall tonight and stopped by the Apple store. The Nano was not on display, but I went to the register and saw someone buying the Red one. It did not look very "red" but it looked TINY.

I asked if they had a black one, and I bought it for my wife. We have been playing with it for a couple of hours, and I think Apple has a big hit on their hands. It feels much smaller than the old Nano, and the screen is fantastic. I would have preferred no chrome on the back as it scratches easily, but it is a great iPod, and they will sell a ton of them.

Like the original Nano, you really have to hold it to feel just how tiny it is.

I'm using the new one right now (blue case 8 GB) and it's an amazing little unit. The sound quality is surprisingly quite good, and video quality is quite good, too (I downloaded a DL.TV episode and it displayed quite clearly). Mind you, I hope that Belkin, DLO, Speck, etc. have their 3G nano cases available soon because it appears the case smudges easily and I do have concern about the chrome back scratching easily, too.

I do agree that the unit looks much handier than what you see on Apple's web site. It comfortably fits into your hand, and Apple compensated for the increased width by lowering the height of the player.

One downside, though: the new nano won't charge its batteries through the Cyber Acoustics CA-451 iPod dock/speaker that I used to charge my old 2G nano. Hopefully, Apple will issue a firmware fix to correct this issue.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rev. Andy View Post

Does it really reserve the right hand side of the screen for 'album art'? As someone with absolutely no interest in filling up the storage with unwanted graphics I was hoping this could be turned off and the whole screen used for the menu system.

In my experience, the album art takes a negligible amount of space. If you added the album art yourself, it might be embedded into the music file anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    When I saw the "Fatboy" rumor pics, I thought "I hope these are fake," but every time I see pics of the 3G Nano, I like it more. I think Wu is right - this could be the "must have" gift of this year's holiday shopping season!