Frontpage like software for mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I want to make a very simple web page for myself. I don't want to write the html cuz it takes way too long and I'm not that great at it. Is there something like frontpage for Mac? Something free and easy to use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Netscape Communicator (4.x on OS 9) came with Netscape Composer, and I remember using that fairly intuitively before I learned HTML.

Also, Adobe PageMill used to ship bundled with many printers and scanners, so you might be able to find a copy of that laying around.

I'm stubborn and write HTML in Simpletext, so I can't vouch for either of those programs.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    You said you were looking for something like FrontPage, which is NOT free. If you are willing to toss some money into something, I would go with Adobe's GoLive. You're not going to find a very good WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web page editor for free.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong>I want to make a very simple web page for myself. I don't want to write the html cuz it takes way too long and I'm not that great at it. Is there something like frontpage for Mac? Something free and easy to use?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Head over to Mozilla.org and download mozilla 1.1. It comes with composer, which is free, and great for creating simple (or complex!) Web pages. More info on composer is available<a href="http://wp.netscape.com/browsers/using/newusers/composer/"; target="_blank">here</a>.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    good question, which will probably get a few more answers over in the Software forum....

moving now.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Doesn't MacroMedia have a WYSIWYG html editor?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>Doesn't MacroMedia have a WYSIWYG html editor?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, Dreamweaver. It costs some money, but it's a great app.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>

Yes, Dreamweaver. It costs some money, but it's a great app.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I bought Macromedia Studio MX a little over a month ago. It was an educational version which only came with a single 1" thick book to explain Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand, & Fireworks. To say the least. I haven't even been able to figure out where to begin. Have't even been able to layout a single page, links, etc. I'm a graduate student and never expected it to be this hard to understand. Dreamweaver MX is by no means an intuitive program. I'm fluid with many other programs and cannot understand my difficulty with Dreamweaver.

My site has already been sketched out on paper, layed out in Corel Draw for scaling of images and text, and title bar design.

I guess my question is once I have all my asssets organized in folders for each page of the site, whats the first step, second step, etc to laying out the page beginning with setup. I mean do you just start opening images, place them and the text according to the layout design or do you have to start with a cell or table? I just don't have any idea. :confused:

Please anyone that can tell me step by step what the sequence is to page setup, placing assets on a page, Navigation bar creatation, linking pages, or anything I'm too naive to know, Please chime into this thread.

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: jkarc21 ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Check out Freeway from Softpress : <a href="http://www.softpress.com"; target="_blank">freeway - a mac only webdesigner's dream</a> : it's easily the best WYSIWYG webdesign program on the planet. A fully functional 30 day demo version can be downloaded from their site.

Want to compare Freeway against Dreamweaver and GoLive with regards to features, read this: <a href="http://www.softpress.com/productcompariso.html"; target="_blank">compare</a>
  • Reply 9 of 20
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    What a you trying to build? A page for your resume? A photo gallery? You might be able to use HomePage or something from Geocities or Tripod.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Frontpage easy to use? MYTH!

I'd reccomend Golive or Dreamweaver, should be some great edu discounts on those!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Sorry, but Homepage sucks sooo much! Doesn't give me any type of freedom to do anything I want! I hate it more and more when I see it! Anyway, my page will be just for me and for people to look at. According to jkarc21, dreamweaver seems hard... I too am a college student and I don't want to spend forever on this. I only have 3 weeks before college starts! Yikes! Also, thanks a bunch for all your suggestions!

(Oh yeah, and thanks also to the moderator for putting this in the Software Forum, I just thought Genius Bar cause I needed help... You might also want to move my external combo drive question to hardware forum )

P.S- Can any one tell me what ting5 means???
  • Reply 12 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>Frontpage easy to use? MYTH!

I'd reccomend Golive or Dreamweaver, should be some great edu discounts on those!</strong><hr></blockquote>

GoLive isn't that easy to use either. At least not that last time I test drove my friend's copy. In the end I just ended up using it as a really expensive syntax-highlighting text editor and did the HTML manually. Then gave it back to my friend.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I used Freeway and it was very hard to use in my opinion. I guess the reason freeway, goLive and dreamweaver are so hard to use is because they were probably made for professional web page designers. I decided to download Netscape 6.2 and use composer. It's not bad at all.

Speaking of Netscape 6.2, they made some HUGE improvements since their last release of Netscape 6. It's still kinda slow, but the look and feel is just awesome. I like it a lot! I think I will use this browser over IE, even though it seems slower. I probably am going to start another browser thread to see which browser mac os x users think is the best.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I don't think GoLive is hard to use, and I'm NOT a professional web-designer or something, nor do I have any education related to it (in other words, everything I know is self-learned).

I don't say it's easy to use either, but the reason I reccommend Golive instead of Frontpage is because GoLive is actually a powerful app compared to Frontpage, and it's NOT harder to use!

"Someone" (APPLE!) should make a real good WYSIWYG website-app with Cocoa, at an affordable (cheap!) price!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    The only reason I like frontpage is because they give me themes to work with. I really like how they have a bunch of rollover icons and stuff ready for you, which look fairly nice. Does GoLive have this?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I use dreamweaver mx here at work and I must say its the single best website development program around. I've used golive before and dreamweaver is much easier to use.- if you are a student- studio mx is only $199- and you get dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, and freehand. Yes I know that you need something simple, but I'm sure you'll want more in the future- so why not get the whole thing right now- its great! Also- dreamweaver mx is only $99
  • Reply 17 of 20
    But it costs so much money!!! Okay, well maybe if I get some grant money to pay for my tuition, I might be able to buy it! Btw, do they have a trial version of that stuff like freeway does?
  • Reply 18 of 20
  • Reply 19 of 20
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macasaurus:

<strong>But it costs so much money!!! Okay, well maybe if I get some grant money to pay for my tuition, I might be able to buy it! Btw, do they have a trial version of that stuff like freeway does?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd say you best bet is Dreamweaver MX all around. You can do WYSIWYG editing for when you start out, and there is also a "code" view for when you get more advanced. Dreamweaver MX runs great on OS X too! Plus to see if you like it, download the free 30 day trial. =) Good Luck!

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: cyko95 ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I personally find DreamWeaver the easiest to use. I have been using it sence I was like 8 although my WebPages have come a long way sence then. I really don`t find it too hard to learn either my friend is my little nerd in training and he picked it up just fine. Everything is all layed out for you to choose from to insert or you just go to the top menu bar under insert and pick what you want. Besides everyone on this forum is very friendly just post if you have a question the worst that will happen is no one answers...