"This One Is Big"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hype. Hype can be the downfall of any fine product. I know this, you know this, Apple sort of knows this. It can damper the image of a genuine break through; all you need do is look to Ginger for proof.

iPod wasn't as "revolutionary" as the hype had promised, and this sentiment wasn't kept a secret. The articles following iPod's introduction all agreed it is a fabulous gizmo, but not one that could change society enough to be considered revolutionary.

Apple's putting the text "This One is Big. Even By Our Standards" on their front page (www.apple.com) should not be taken lightly. They are advertising to all people with any tangential or intense interest in Apple (ie, all those who visit their site) that something "big" is going to happen.

"Big" is a vernacular that implies importance, it implies something head turning, and it definitely means something that will impress the masses. Any average person who happens to be visiting Apple's website is being told they will be impressed - very impressed - by the announcements on January 7.

Apple has now set the level of expectations very high. Steve is going to have to announce products that generate as much excitement as Apple's front page is bound to do. If his products come up short, they will be judged harshly.

- Pook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    By what standards?

What are Apple's standards?

Do they mean as big as the iMac intro back in '98, or the Mac in '84, or the intro of the G4 back in 98/99?

Someone's got to have something!?
  • Reply 2 of 107
    One things for certain, is that that graphic on Apple's site will change tomorrow, given the fact that it will have to say 6 days until Macworld. Maybe they'll give some more info?

Uhmm... well, it just changed. Countdown is at the bottom.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: erbium ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 107
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by erbium:

<strong>Uhmm... well, it just changed. Countdown is at the bottom.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummmm, WHY did Apple do this?

I mean, whats the big deal if the heading is M/W Conf. & Expo or "7 days until Macworld san francisco"?

Sometimes they just don't make any sense

-Paul
  • Reply 4 of 107
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Good point about standards.

There are two fundamental standards: the "knows" and the "Joe's.

By virtue of our discussing this topic on an Apple board, are the "knows." Big to us means G5, DDR, G4 iMac, and any other confirmation of rumors previously deemed far-fetched. The "knows" are also the graphics professionals who need the new hardware. Big to them means more raw power.

The Joe's are a different story. A flat iMac is a big deal to the average consumer. It symbolizes a leap forward in the previous iMac technology that both looks better and is more efficient. Also big to the Joe's are new iPod-like products and new iTunes-like software. Power means less to the average consumer because easy functionality with a spicing of gimmicness helps.

Now for the grand synthesis: Apple's front page is open to both of these parties. The message is directed to every person to visits apple.com, and it should apply to every person. I believe Apple will satisfy both parties with a new iMac and new PowerMacs. I'm not convinced about G5s yet, as I believe breaking the GHz barrier would be cause enough for Apple to celebrate.

- Pook
  • Reply 5 of 107
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>

iPod wasn't as "revolutionary" as the hype had promised, and this sentiment wasn't kept a secret. The articles following iPod's introduction all agreed it is a fabulous gizmo, but not one that could change society enough to be considered revolutionary.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

For the record Apple never said that the iPod was revolutionary. CNN said revolutionary, and all of the other news sites copied it. Apple's official statement was "breakthrough".
  • Reply 6 of 107
    Majuki,

Perfect example of the dangers of hype. Apple didn't even say "revolutionary," yet the whole computing world got excited. Now they are actually promising something huge. Just imagine where this hype is going to go.

- Pook
  • Reply 7 of 107
    I think this is in regard to the new iMacs and nothing more since it was the original iMac which saved Apple. Its a safe bet.
  • Reply 8 of 107
    What did Apple do on the Apple site before the iMac was introduced?

I'm sure they said something revolutionary would be introduced, but this time it's different.

They're saying that the whole MacWorld is going to be BIG. I get the feeling that there will be more than JUST the iMac.

I'm not expecting G5's, just G4's that start at 1GHz and go to 1.6GHz.
  • Reply 9 of 107
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    I think this is really the first time that Apple has really advertised the hype before a show.

The iPod was mentioned during a analyst briefing. Nothing was mentioned on their web site.

The original iMac was sprung right on us. I do not think anyone saw it.

A new iMac, while I know it will be "Insane(tm)", its not THAT big of deal. Of course, a G4 in it would help some.

If that happens, I think a G5 tower is in order.

Theere is one bad thing about a dual product intro at one show.

What does Apple do for an encore. What do they do for the rest of the year?

I DO NOT see new Ti's or iBooks this year. Just speed and feature bumps.

And the speculation continues.

Cobra
  • Reply 10 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>Majuki,

Perfect example of the dangers of hype. Apple didn't even say "revolutionary," yet the whole computing world got excited. Now they are actually promising something huge. Just imagine where this hype is going to go.

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

See, even you are doing it! They said "big", not "huge".
  • Reply 11 of 107
    I agree- hyping an entire show means macroscopic changes that reach beyond a new iMac.

This brings me back to my old threat called "What's the harm of a huge show?" It asked if it would really be a problem if Apple updated their entire product line within the span of one Stevenote.

This talk about "Big" could mean much more than any of us have ever seen before. That is what they are saying, afterall: "This one is big. Even for us." So this is going to a show with more in it than we on the boards are accustomed to. Maybe we'll see an entire product line update.

- Pook
  • Reply 12 of 107
    Or maybe...

...Apple is going to really revolutionize the computer industry...

...what if they came out with something so incredibly amazing, yet so simple, we all will say, "why didn't I think of that?!"...

...what if it was so revolutionary that it will change the way we live...

...what if I stopped this post right now and push "Add reply"?
  • Reply 13 of 107
    ... it's completely feasible. They've done it before, it's just that those world-altering moments are so few and far between, we never expect them. But it could happen. We could be in for a surpise even the best pscates could never have come up with.

- Pook
  • Reply 14 of 107
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    MacAgent, are you saying Apple could release something that is beyond the comprehention of the entire member base of the AI fourms!!! :eek: That would be amazing. I think almost any product from the iPoop (a pooper scooper) to iQ (Quantum transport device) has been talked about on AI boards. I would hate to think we are all that blinded by our devotion to Apple, the mac and AI to miss something that big.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: jhtrih ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by jhtrih:

<strong>MacAgent, are you saying Apple could release something that is beyond the comprehention of the entire member base of the AI fourms!!! :eek: That would be amazing. I think almost any product from the iPoop (a pooper scooper) to iQ (Quantum transport device) has been talked about on AI boards.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What about the iPod?

Yeah, maybe you guys threw around the idea of an MP3 player... but not one with F/W or a HD THAT small. Or tight integration with iTunes.

I think it is perfectly feasable to think that Apple can come up with something that has not even been touched on by these boards.

I don't think it will happen tho

-Paul
  • Reply 16 of 107
    The hype is in regards to the new flat-panel iMac, and the G4 breaking the gigazhertz barrier.

No G5s until MWNY at the earliest.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    The image I'm conjouring in my mind is that of some sort of human/computer link of sorts. Computers that enhance your memory, make you think faster, let you upload information into your mind...

Maybe I'm just crazy.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>The image I'm conjouring in my mind is that of some sort of human/computer link of sorts. Computers that enhance your memory, make you think faster, let you upload information into your mind...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now that would be bigger then big... Too bad it isn't going to happen until machine implants in humans are widely accepted. I read this article in WIRED that talked about this, very intresting...

one can dream tho...

-Paul
  • Reply 19 of 107
    I'd use one as long as I was 100% sure it wasn't broadcasting my thoughts or position to someone...
  • Reply 19 of 107
    Say, when the AI boards go down (you know they will), we all need a place to congegrate and bitch/whine/express disappointment after the keynote... it's tradition.