High-quality unboxing photos of Apple's new iPod classic

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Arriving alongside the new iPod nano at Apple retail stores on Thursday afternoon were the first shipments of the company's old-school, yet refreshed iPod classic player. Unboxing shots of a 160GB grey model follow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Than god! I was fearful that if was going to be just a plastic container and lots of strofoam!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Those pictures are crap the angles are too high so there is too much reflection to see any detail!
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Dock has a dark circle in front. Is that some kind of light indicator, a sensor or a big fat fly?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Dock has a dark circle in front. Is that some kind of light indicator, a sensor or a big fat fly?

Erm where have you been? thats the IR sensor!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new. And big news. Does the dock also do video out?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Today I went to Bic Camera (I live in Tokyo) and tried hands-on two iPod classics and one iPod nano fatty. On all three, the new UI was so slow and choppy, to me, it was unusable. Especially on the classics, the scroll wheel was slippery and often didn't register the motions of my (clean) thumb. Then when it did, when scrolling through the "Settings" menu, the highlighted functions could not be scrolled through one-by-one because of the lag in the UI, the highlighted function as I scrolled down or up would skip 2 or 3 or more items!

There wasn't a single song, video, or photo loaded on any of the 3 iPods, which was annoying. But, if even the small and light-graphics Settings menu can't be scrolled through in any usable way, how will Cover Flow work or other super long lists of songs?

I would very much like to know if anyone else thought the UI on the classics was too slow and laggy.

Jason
  • Reply 7 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new. And big news. Does the dock also do video out?

The IR sensor is not new.

The video out, I believe, is new.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Looking at the last photo, it's nice to Apple upgrading their "status" imagery ("Connected Eject Before Disconnecting"). Much nicer than the old ones. Love all these "little" details. Nice job Apple!
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Today I went to Bic Camera (I live in Tokyo) and tried hands-on two iPod classics and one iPod nano fatty. On all three, the new UI was so slow and choppy, to me, it was unusable. Especially on the classics, the scroll wheel was slippery and often didn't register the motions of my (clean) thumb. Then when it did, when scrolling through the "Settings" menu, the highlighted functions could not be scrolled through one-by-one because of the lag in the UI, the highlighted function as I scrolled down or up would skip 2 or 3 or more items!

There wasn't a single song, video, or photo loaded on any of the 3 iPods, which was annoying. But, if even the small and light-graphics Settings menu can't be scrolled through in any usable way, how will Cover Flow work or other super long lists of songs?

I would very much like to know if anyone else thought the UI on the classics was too slow and laggy.

Jason

I thought the same about the iPod Video (5th gen), that is the main reason I bought my iPod (4th gen) in the first place. \
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Awesome, GREY is the new White!
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Wow, that's beautiful.

And they wonder why we're so enchanted by Apple and its products.

When you do shit that looks this good--and makes looking good seem so easy--you have no choice but to want to pick it up, to caress it, to fondle it, to stick your...well, you know what I mean.

For those that don't understand, go play with your clunky Archos.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    why the picture on the BOX looks different from the iPod itself? am i missing something?

how did this color mismatch happened in Macworld?

apple better replace the pictures in the box and website, it does NOT simply represents the GREY iPod!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

So the iPod comes with a dock with an IR sensor? THAT'S new.

No its not new, and no the iPod does not come with a dock at all. That dock is sold separately and has been available since the 5G iPod came out.

Quote:

And big news. Does the dock also do video out?

The iPod has done video out since the 5G. The big news is that the iPod Classic does progressive scan output (480p) with component cables, the 5G iPod only does 480i.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Arriving alongside the new iPod nano at Apple retail stores on Thursday afternoon were the first shipments of the company's old-school, yet refreshed iPod classic player. Unboxing shots of a 160GB grey model follow.

What's with the low-quality advert for (dare I type it?) ZUNE in the midst of this

splendour?

Nice design on the Classic. I like to carry all my music all the time, so I'm

seriously on the verge of replacing my 60GB iPod Photo (remember those?) with

one of these.

I have yet to see really well-done macro photography on one of these unboxings,

though.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

why the picture on the BOX looks different from the iPod itself? am i missing something?

how did this color mismatch happened in Macworld?

apple better replace the pictures in the box and website, it does NOT simply represents the GREY iPod!

Not just the color, the texture is very poorly represented on that box too. Maybe my texture complaint is a little off because it's a photo of a print of a photo of the product, but still, it would seem like they'd handle that a little better.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I think the split screen UI is kind of ugly

I would have prefered somethink more similar to the iphone squares, they're much more pleasing to the eye
  • Reply 17 of 34
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Not just the color, the texture is very poorly represented on that box too. Maybe my texture complaint is a little off because it's a photo of a print of a photo of the product, but still, it would seem like they'd handle that a little better.

yep, the texture as well.

I had like to see iPod nano as well, it could be the same reason, they look different from what they are (except the RED, RED is not really red)
  • Reply 18 of 34
    For some reason I'm seeing Zune ads by the iPod...

Really, AppleInsider, you can do better.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

The iPod has done video out since the 5G. The big news is that the iPod Classic does progressive scan output (480p) with component cables, the 5G iPod only does 480i.

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear/read this? I can't find that anywhere on the Classic's tech specs page on Apple.com.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Not that I don't believe you, but where did you hear/read this? I can't find that anywhere on the Classic's tech specs page on Apple.com.

He read this here.