how to create a bootable image of my harddrive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey, so i finally took my mac pro to the apple store and its broken ( haha to all of you who flamed me for being a troll). the guy at the genius bar told me the video card was fried and so was the sound chip. So im returning it and apple shipped me a free 250 gig g-drive so I could back up my data. Problem is I really dont know how to create a bootable disk image as ive never used any sort of external device before (let alone on a mac) does anyone know where I can find some sort of tutorial. thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    to make a bootable backup you can download "carbon copy cloner" and clone your complete harddrive on the external harddrive.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    No need to download anything. You can just start up from your instal DVD's and use Disk Utility to make a dmg of your drive.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lets see a system specs shot really fast so i know what the problem may have been.

Just go to "about this mac" and either use grab, found in the utilities, or press ?+shift+4 and select an area with yor mouse. Then just upload it to flickr or somthing.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

lets see a system specs shot really fast so i know what the problem may have been.

Just go to "about this mac" and either use grab, found in the utilities, or press ?+shift+4 and select an area with yor mouse. Then just upload it to flickr or somthing.

'?+Shift+4'?

I don't know if you just don't know what it is or if you used a non-recognizable symbol.

But for the record, it is -shift-4
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

the system specs dont really tell you anything
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

No need to download anything. You can just start up from your instal DVD's and use Disk Utility to make a dmg of your drive.

you don't need to download - you can

-no rebooting off install dvd to make the clone

-no rebooting off install dvd to clone back to internal hd if needed
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

hey, so i finally took my mac pro to the apple store and its broken (haha to all of you who flamed me for being a troll).

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Ned has a barbecue:

Homer borrows Ned's camcorder, and Ned invites Homer's family over for

a barbecue tomrrow. Homer declines, then reconsiders...

Homer: I'll even bring the thickest juciest T-bones you've ever seen.

Ned: Mm mm. Sounds terrif!

Homer: Heh, the joke's on him! I'll be dead by then!

In the end, you still end up with a broken computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

So im returning it and apple shipped me a free 250 gig g-drive so I could back up my data. Problem is I really dont know how to create a bootable disk image as ive never used any sort of external device before (let alone on a mac) does anyone know where I can find some sort of tutorial. thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

That was good of them, some stories you hear are that they just replace the drive and you lose your stuff. It might be tricky to do a back up though because it can take 1-2 hours (it depends on how much stuff you have). I'd use SuperDuper as it's really easy, just select the source and destination and put your feet up. Then once it's done, check that it's bootable by booting holding the alt key.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

to make a bootable backup you can download "carbon copy cloner" and clone your complete harddrive on the external harddrive.

Is this also what I should do if I would like to run a full disk verify and repair but don't have my original OS install DVD's with me? I'm currently out of the country and would like to repair my machine, but can't get a hold of my original disks for several months. Any suggestions? Is there another way to repair without the disks?

At the moment, I'm only able to verify and repair permissions, not run a full verify/repair.

Thanks for your help!