Missed opportunity with the iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Since the Touch has wi-fi, it would be pretty cool if you could stream music to it using AirTunes... I hope they'll add that in a future update (for the iPhone too).

It'd be pretty handy to have access to my whole library while I'm wandering around the house.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Great idea!

At least an option to control itunes on your computer, which is hooked up to decent speakers.

Streaming is better though
  • Reply 2 of 10
    i doubt it. airtunes is a fading product it hasnt been updated in years.im surprised its still even being sold.

maybe a shared library like you can do with regular itunes.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Streaming would be pretty awesome. It would really make up for the lack of storage (which I'm not mad at just that you could never have enough music).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

i doubt it. airtunes is a fading product it hasnt been updated in years.im surprised its still even being sold.

maybe a shared library like you can do with regular itunes.

I think that AirTunes is a better fit with the iPod Touch and the iPhone than with AirPort Express. I love my AirPort express, but it's a strange little device. Most people that buy them probably don't even use the AirTunes feature (just a guess but I'd think most people would use them strictly as a wi-fi access port or for the wireless printing feature).

It makes MORE sense for the new iPod to have AirTunes, it's already a music player!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    OTA syncing with your iTunes library.

OTA podcast downloading.

That's what I'd find useful and, with the iTunes WiFi Store, they at least have the infrastructure for the podcast part. With Airtunes and with the new syncing features for Leopard you'd think that they could handle the OTA syncing part, too. Be slow to switch out multiple GB, but for a couple hundred MBs it'd be reasonable.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    A "portable tv" is something I've been predicting for months. Perhaps someday it will actually happen.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

OTA syncing with your iTunes library.

OTA podcast downloading.

That's what I'd find useful and, with the iTunes WiFi Store, they at least have the infrastructure for the podcast part. With Airtunes and with the new syncing features for Leopard you'd think that they could handle the OTA syncing part, too. Be slow to switch out multiple GB, but for a couple hundred MBs it'd be reasonable.

My problem is that my library is too big for any sort of automatic syncing except with the iPod classic.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

A "portable ?tv" is something I've been predicting for months. Perhaps someday it will actually happen.

It exists right now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77178

This will work with touch as well. Apple has component and composite cables coming for iphone and touch at the end of the month. That means 3 weeks and they become portable apple tvs. Wifi is a must on the iphone though for it to work with video.

This should help the original poster accomplish what he wanted as well.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

My problem is that my library is too big for any sort of automatic syncing except with the iPod classic.

I meant syncing as in swapping out a ~200MB playlist for a different ~200MB playlist. Or updating your smart playlists.

Obviously whole libraries rapidly expand past feasible syncing limits both in terms of storage (16GB isn't enough for me either) and bandwidth speeds (16 GB would take how long now via WiFi? This side of forever).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Notorious View Post

It exists right now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=77178

This will work with touch as well. Apple has component and composite cables coming for iphone and touch at the end of the month. That means 3 weeks and they become portable apple tvs. Wifi is a must on the iphone though for it to work with video.

This should help the original poster accomplish what he wanted as well.

like i said on another forum, this feature still needs the apple touch. Some features are pretty cumbersome to use right now and there is just so much potential for this. Even if screenshare only worked with leopard to start, i would be extreamly happy.