I need some simple database software for my company!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
THANKS so much in advance for helping me.

I run a business that has families whose children participate in after school programs at our schools, in art classes & seasonal camps at our location. We have about 500-750 clients we serve each year. I have kept everyting in excel spreadsheet (different ones for camps, art classes etc) that keeps track of our clients names, childrens names, ages, address, class attending, balancue due...you get the picture. It's horrible when it comes to wanting to deviate clients into groups/searches based on zip codes etc. Some clients overlap from one database to the other since they participate in multiple programs we offer. I NEED A MAC FRIENDLY DATABASE that has these features:

Edit categories for client info...

Keep track of my clients expenditures, classes they sign their kids up... each year, balance dues

I don't even need invoice capablities...I just want to keep track of which families we are losing, new ones, which come back...who has a credit who we want to send special offers if they haven't used us in a while. I guess you would call it a "school database" but I don't need too many school-type features like rosters or grade records.

I will spend whatever it takes but I am guessing I can find this program for under $500 right? THANK YOU for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    have you checked out Apple's subsidiary, filemaker?

http://www.filemaker.com/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
  • Reply 3 of 7
    AppleWorks !
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You could "Make" that with FIleMaker Pro, but out of the box software like that, I doubt. Or have someone else make that for you with FMP.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craftymacgirl View Post

THANKS so much in advance for helping me.

I run a business that has families whose children participate in after school programs at our schools, in art classes & seasonal camps at our location. We have about 500-750 clients we serve each year. I have kept everyting in excel spreadsheet (different ones for camps, art classes etc) that keeps track of our clients names, childrens names, ages, address, class attending, balancue due...you get the picture. It's horrible when it comes to wanting to deviate clients into groups/searches based on zip codes etc. Some clients overlap from one database to the other since they participate in multiple programs we offer. I NEED A MAC FRIENDLY DATABASE that has these features:

Edit categories for client info...

Keep track of my clients expenditures, classes they sign their kids up... each year, balance dues

I don't even need invoice capablities...I just want to keep track of which families we are losing, new ones, which come back...who has a credit who we want to send special offers if they haven't used us in a while. I guess you would call it a "school database" but I don't need too many school-type features like rosters or grade records.

I will spend whatever it takes but I am guessing I can find this program for under $500 right? THANK YOU for any help!

I'll second dabbledb. I've been using it since it was in beta and filemaker hasn't seen much action since. I've imported a lot of my filemaker apps into it as well. It is a hosted service so you'll be paying monthly but it sounds like you could get away with the personal plan for 10 bucks a month. Try out their trial. Once you realize how it works and play with it you'll be amazed what you can put together in a small amount of time.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by farmer2 View Post

I'll second dabbledb. I've been using it since it was in beta and filemaker hasn't seen much action since. I've imported a lot of my filemaker apps into it as well. It is a hosted service so you'll be paying monthly but it sounds like you could get away with the personal plan for 10 bucks a month. Try out their trial. Once you realize how it works and play with it you'll be amazed what you can put together in a small amount of time.

And no, I'm not affiliated in any way.

Looked at their site, seems like a good deal, but I would REALLY think twice about putting personal information of "clients" into an online database sponsored by anyone. Look at the mess Monster.com got into. Almost anybody's site can be hacked these days; can you afford the resultant lawsuits that may follow if your clients' personal info is tapped? It would definitely cost more than a copy of FileMaker. And you don't need internet access to work on it locally. I'd also add a consistent and reliable backup plan to the cost estimate in the event of drive failure or data corruption once you get any database up and running, or course.
  • Reply 7 of 7

If you want to make a database software of your will

contact with gegasoft

http://gegasoft.com/order-software-here/