Apple iTunes glitch reveals movie rental preparations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While attempting to notify Apple of a problem with its iTunes Store, one user stumbled upon evidence that suggests the company may be gearing up to offer movie rentals through the digital download service.

"I was trying to report a problem via iTunes, and this pop-up for selecting a reason contains some interesting/revealing strings," David Watanabe wrote in a posting the popular Flickr image sharing website. "[It] looks like 'RentalMovies' will be coming to the iTunes store."

Among the reasons for reporting a problem listed in the Apple-created menus were "DidNotReceiveMovie-RentalMovie," "AccidentalPurchase-RentalMovie," "ContentQuality-RentalMovie," "DuplicatePurchase-RentalMovie," "WrongVErsion-RentalMovie," "BadMetadata-RentalMovie" and "Other-RentalMovie."

Rumors that Apple would eventually be compelled to supplement its a la carte movie download service with a rental option have been making the rounds ever since the company first began offering downloadable flicks nearly two years ago.

The most recent report on the matter came courtesy of the Financial Times, which reported in June that Apple was in advanced talks with Hollywood?s largest movie studios about launching an online film rental service to challenge cable and satellite TV operators.

According to the report, individual films on the iTunes service would fetch $2.99 for a 30-day rental and would be governed by digital rights-management software that would allow users to transfer the movie "from a computer to at least one other device such as the video iPod or iPhone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Sweet, if these are at 720p, I will actually begin using my AppleTV!
  • Reply 2 of 57
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Oops! Someone has some 'splainin' to do back at Apple HQ.

• Reply 3 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Sweet, if these are at 720p, I will actually begin using my AppleTV!

If that happens, the Apple TV will become relevant. It doesn't take a team of crack analysts and countless surveys to conclude that people don't want to watch VHS-quality films on their HDTVs.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You'll notice that the new iPods output 480p or 480i, as well as the PAL equivalent of 526p and i.

Assuming that "480p" means what it usually does, with the implied 720 horizontal resolution, we're talking line doubled DVD res.

Which I'm guessing is the next stop for iTMS video quality. That way Apple can brag about it's "better than DVD resolution" downloads without incurring the huge bandwidth increases needed for 720p, and, in fact, such material will look pretty good on most people's sets (assuming Apple doesn't throttle the hell out of the bit rate or do lousy compression, which appears to be the current case).

A lot of people are watching stuff on their big screens using progressive output DVD players and it looks great. The fact that the iPods can now do progressive out further suggests that the movie store's offerings will be 480p as well.

Makes sense, right? A bump in res for the roll-out of the rental store, and a brand new generation of iPods that can actually output that res to your TV (assuming you bought the pricey Apple approved component cable), and which looks plenty good to most folks.

I know the HD crowd will accept nothing less, but I strongly suspect that there will be an intermediate step.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You'll notice that the new iPods output 480p or 480i, as well as the PAL equivalent of 526p and i.

Assuming that "480p" means what it usually does, with the implied 720 horizontal resolution, we're talking line doubled DVD res.

Which I'm guessing is the next stop for iTMS video quality. That way Apple can brag about it's "better than DVD resolution" downloads without incurring the huge bandwidth increases needed for 720p, and, in fact, such material will look pretty good on most people's sets (assuming Apple doesn't throttle the hell out of the bit rate or do lousy compression, which appears to be the current case).

A lot of people are watching stuff on their big screens using progressive output DVD players and it looks great. The fact that the iPods can now do progressive out further suggests that the movie store's offerings will be 480p as well.

Makes sense, right? A bump in res for the roll-out of the rental store, and a brand new generation of iPods that can actually output that res to your TV (assuming you bought the pricey Apple approved component cable), and which looks plenty good to most folks.

I know the HD crowd will accept nothing less, but I strongly suspect that there will be an intermediate step.

I'd love to have HD just like everyone else. But honestly, If these rentals look AT LEAST as good as current dvd's that I rent, I'd be satisfied... For now.....
  • Reply 6 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I'd love to have HD just like everyone else. But honestly, If these rentals look AT LEAST as good as current dvd's that I rent, I'd be satisfied... For now.....

Agreed, which is why I think DVD quality is likely-- most people will consider that a good value proposition, if the downloads look at least as good as what you get from Blockbuster, and particularly if they look as good as what you get from Blockbuster played back on a progressive output DVD player onto a 720p set.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    720p or DVD quaity? Offer both. I have PS3 and an HDTV that supports 1080p. Best quality there is... But I'm not going to go crazy and buy a lot of Blu-Ray movies unless there are blockbusters like Spider-man 3.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

My video iPod (5.5g 30gb) supports up to 720x320 res (total of 230,400 pixels), which is the resolution of some DVDs (wider than 16:9). So, in essence, Apple added a whopping 160 vertical pixels of resolution capability to the new iPods, which doesn't do you much, since many movies are wider than 16:9 (a movie is wider than 16:9 if it still has black bars at the top and bottom of your widescreen TV).

Now, the MOST important addition Apple made was the component video out. This will actually allow you to view your movies with near-DVD quality (assuming, of course, that you use component cables for your DVD player).

(kicks himself for not waiting a few weeks for new iPods, then realizes that an iPod was just a nice bonus with the iMac...)
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debohun View Post

Interesting that this leak surfaces the day after Apple's stock drops in response to its most recent product announcements. BTW, isn't the screenshot from Lepoard? Isn't that a NDA breach? (Not, I suppose, if the leak was from Apple.)

you can download the leopard background for tiger, or panther, or any other OS you want. So that may or may not be a leopard screenshot.

http://themes.belchfire.net/index.ph...showfile=6162#
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GuyInFlorida View Post

720p or DVD quaity? Offer both. I have PS3 and an HDTV that supports 1080p. Best quality there is... But I'm not going to go crazy and buy a lot of Blu-Ray movies unless there are blockbusters like Spider-man 3.

So you'll start buying a bunch of Blu-Ray movies after October 30th? That's when Spidey 3 and the first two films hit Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Makes sense to me, do ED before HD. Most HD sets do a pretty good jod of upressing ED content.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

you can download the leopard background for tiger, or panther, or any other OS you want. So that may or may not be a leopard screenshot.

http://themes.belchfire.net/index.ph...showfile=6162#

Hey thanks for that background link!
  • Reply 13 of 57
    So... what exactly was the problem with iTunes? Wait to update, or no biggie?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    If they release with 1080p that would certainly help AppleTV. Otherwise the product never had a chance!

http://answers.nobosh.com/
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nate.willard View Post

If they release with 1080p that would certainly help AppleTV. Otherwise the product never had a chance!

http://answers.nobosh.com/

AppleTV doesn't support 1080p.

"Apple TV works with widescreen, enhanced-definition or high-definition TVs capable of 1080i, 720p, 576p, or 480p resolutions." (from http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While attempting to notify Apple of a problem with its iTunes Store, one user stumbled upon evidence that suggests the company may be gearing up to offer movie rentals through the digital download service.

"I was trying to report a problem via iTunes, and this pop-up for selecting a reason contains some interesting/revealing strings," David Watanabe wrote in a posting the popular Flickr image sharing website. "[It] looks like 'RentalMovies' will be coming to the iTunes store."

Among the reasons for reporting a problem listed in the Apple-created menus were "DidNotReceiveMovie-RentalMovie," "AccidentalPurchase-RentalMovie," "ContentQuality-RentalMovie," "DuplicatePurchase-RentalMovie," "WrongVErsion-RentalMovie," "BadMetadata-RentalMovie" and "Other-RentalMovie."

Rumors that Apple would eventually be compelled to supplement its a la carte movie download service with a rental option have been making the rounds ever since the company first began offering downloadable flicks nearly two years ago.

The most recent report on the matter came courtesy of the Financial Times, which reported in June that Apple was in advanced talks with Hollywood?s largest movie studios about launching an online film rental service to challenge cable and satellite TV operators.

According to the report, individual films on the iTunes service would fetch $2.99 for a 30-day rental and would be governed by digital rights-management software that would allow users to transfer the movie "from a computer to at least one other device such as the video iPod or iPhone."

I work for a movie rental company, who signed a deal with apple months ago. The details of this are above me but i do know both companies are relying on this to improve sales a great deal. My company in particular, which has been losing money due to competition such as netflix, is hoping this deal will save them.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

My video iPod (5.5g 30gb) supports up to 720x320 res (total of 230,400 pixels), which is the resolution of some DVDs (wider than 16:9)...

720 vertical lines? How do you figure? As far as I know, both the 5.5 and the Classic max out at 640x480. Encode a video with 720 vertical lines and I don't think any ipod will show that image. Even if it could, the resulting image would be awful. Really stretched out.

On a different topic... Whats funny to me is that if you intend on viewing your ipod video on a widescreen tv via the new component cables, and you want DVD quality video, you HAVE TO GET A CLASSIC. The ipod touch supports only 480i via these cables! See here.

Personally, I could care less about 480p (when it comes to TV). Its ancient, approaching 15 years old now. Not a big difference between 480p and 480i unless you have a great TV. But then if you have a great TV that was purchased in the 21st century, you don't want to put 480p anywhere near it. You want 720p minimum. Put 480p up on a 50" HDTV, and it will look like crapola, especially if you're used to watching 720p and 1080i via cable and satellite. So the iTMS needs to serve up something thats better than dvd quality for sure. Not EDTV. HDTV. 720p. I mean, why waste the technology inside the AppleTV?
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacecowboy 1138 View Post

I work for a movie rental company, who signed a deal with apple months ago. The details of this are above me but i do know both companies are relying on this to improve sales a great deal. My company in particular, which has been losing money due to competition such as netflix, is hoping this deal will save them.

What deal would that be? Or is it a secret?

More importantly, why in the world would Apple sign a deal with a flailing rental company when they regularly deal directly with the distributors?
  • Reply 19 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nate.willard View Post

1080p isn't that common yet, and when you consider internet bandwidth consumed and data storage to keep it, it's well past the cost/benefit for most people. As much as it would be nice (I have a native 1080p projector), I just don't see it being a stumbling block.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

AppleTV doesn't support 1080p.

"Apple TV works with widescreen, enhanced-definition or high-definition TVs capable of 1080i, 720p, 576p, or 480p resolutions." (from http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html

I just saw AppleTV at CostCo yesterday. I would expect an updated version in the near future.