Apple TV...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Nice!

But when can we BUY movies in 720p? What's the hold up? What's the matter, doesn't Apple like money? Streaming VHS-quality movies to HDTV sets isn't exactly appealing, so it's no wonder the Apple TV hasn't taken off.

If they act now, then all of us fence-sitters will have an alternative to buying new players and media amidst this format war. A High-Definition version of a film that I can play both on my computer and my HDTV sounds very very appealing.

Who says Apple is holding it up? Has there been any other download service that has 720p? I think that all anybody offers today is DVD or near DVD quality. I would imagine that it is more than likely the studios reluctance to release a HD file out on the web for download than it is for Apple to be the one holding back a file format that is supported by their hardware and which would make the hardware as well as their video download sales more attractive to consumers.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    New iPods output 480p (and the 526p PAL standard as well). I strongly suspect that the next bump in iTMS video resolution will be to 480p, 526p for Euro offerings.

Many people are watching DVDs on progressive output players and find the results more than satisfying. It would be a nice jump in video quality without the giant jump in bandwidth.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

Who says Apple is holding it up? Has there been any other download service that has 720p? I think that all anybody offers today is DVD or near DVD quality. I would imagine that it is more than likely the studios reluctance to release a HD file out on the web for download than it is for Apple to be the one holding back a file format that is supported by their hardware and which would make the hardware as well as their video download sales more attractive to consumers.

Microsoft's been doing 720p movie rentals on the xBox 360 for a year.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Liveblog of Om Malik from the D conference (circa May 2007).

The questioner was Walt Mossberg.

All typos are Om's. Bolds are Om's emphasis, underlines are mine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Om Malik

Q: Why do you call AppleTV a hobby?

Jobs: What every body has tried is that coming from computer market, you think about getting content from your computer to your TV. I am not sure that is what consumers want. More we think about it, they are like peas. We think the content from the Internet is the real play.

Doing Demo of Apple TV live streaming from the web. We wre going to sell 100 millionth TV show this year. The movies and shows are stored on your computer and can be streamed.

What we are going to do today, introduce something we announced in the morning. Incredible things is YouTube. It would be great if they can get YouTube on your living room TV. We worked on them, and we are announcing that YouTube as an add-in to AppleTV, and it is a MENU ITEM. (LOOKS GREAT)

We got this working, and we watched a ton of this stuff. It turned out to be pretty cool. You search from the interface and you can find a lot of things through that. So how are the videos looking better. You get what you get, its amazing how fun these things are.

This is the first additional feature on AppleTV and get internet video. I think this is a good idea, and we are going to see a collection of interesting things. Hobby, because it is provcative. iPod started off like that. It started off small, feeling like this. Its not a set-top box. That’s not how we look at it. We wanted to do it for a few years. We can’t replace the set-top box. You have to go through the cable companies. We didn’t do it, and do a go to market strategy like that. We didn’t have to replace set-top box. We have to be DVD player for the Internet age.

[snip]

Q: Video on portable devices?

Jobs: I was more skeptical than customers. iPod video proved us wrong, and video has been the #1 or #2 reason why people buy that product. Video is here to stay on protable device. [Screed: and video nanos were born.]

Q: Over the air downloads?

Jobs: People have tried with music and it has failed. Phone is not a great place to discover an browse large libraries. [Screed: Wireless iTunes Store, HA!] I think you have to sync it with your PC anyway. Why not just buy on a PC and sync to your phone. People know how to buy music on computers.

Part of this exchange makes be believe that Apple will cede most live content to the cable/satellite companies.

Given the recent peek into the new iTunes, clearly rentals were never completely off the table.

Off topic: That last bit about OTA downloads? A complete head fake (read: lie).