New iMacs: iLife apps won't launch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys, I don't know if this is a common issue?

We've just bought four new iMacs this week and we can't get iPhoto or iMovie to launch on any of them. When you click the icon in the Dock it bounces once and then does nothing.

Updating the software, fixing permissions, verifying the hard disk, binning the preference files and reinstalling the app and then all the software from scratch doesn't fix the problem.

The problem occurs on all four machines.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    What does it say in your console (/Applications/Console) when you launch them? Does this only happen with ilife apps?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Mmmm... Console won't launch either?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Okay, I think I've gotten to the bottom of this issue. This issue appears to affect the iPhoto, iMovie and iWeb applications.

Looks like there's a problem with the installer on the new iMac discs. Apparently you have to install ALL the bundled iLife applications (you can't just pick iPhoto, iMovie and iWeb for instance). It appears if you select just the applications that you want, it fails to install all of the files required for those applications on their own.

Perhaps some of the files that iPhoto, iMovie and iWeb require are actually installed by the iDVD or GarageBand portions of the installer?

So now I have iDVD and GarageBand consuming large amounts of HDD space when I'll never actually use them.

I'll contact Apple and highlight the problem.