Another conspiracy theory

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I own a few shares of apple stock and so I was thinking a couple of weeks ago how so much of apples value was currently linked to the iphone. This has played out this week with the stock price going down like a rock.

I think apple was fully aware this would happen when they announced the price cut and was simply their way of correcting the market themselves. In the end the price correction makes apple a much stronger company, no longer dependent on the iphones success. The ipod touch opens up so many different doors for them to explore and now the iphone is just another cool product in their arsenal. If this is not what they intended, in my opinion it could not have played out better. The next stock run up will have more to do with sales of the ipod line, I am ordering my ipod touch today!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    BTW Thank you Apple for not putting a camera in the ipod touch, I can not have a camera in my work place and so this made me very happy. On another note I am still stuck with my g4 powerbook until yall decide to release another notebook without a camera, I wish there was some kind of study out that showed how many people are in that same boat, perhaps that would show whether or not it would be profitable to release one.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

BTW Thank you Apple for not putting a camera in the ipod touch, I can not have a camera in my work place and so this made me very happy. On another note I am still stuck with my g4 powerbook until yall decide to release another notebook without a camera, I wish there was some kind of study out that showed how many people are in that same boat, perhaps that would show whether or not it would be profitable to release one.

No cameras allowed? Hmm... reminds me of my Top-Secret clearance buddy working for the Man in D.C. He leaves his camera friendly cell phone in the car when at work.

I do think such a study would show it not worth the effort, for Apple or anyone else. I also think that no camera regulations need to look into the fact that a growing percentage of laptops out there do have a build in camera these days, and this trend is likely to continue.

How hard would it be to release some "standard" describing a removal, wire cutting, or simply painting over the lens to disable such a camera and make it work friendly again.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    it is a nuclear (NRC) rule, you could cut the camera out yourself and it would not make a difference....there take on it is if you can disable it then you can reenable it, seems silly but thats the way it is. I agree with you that the trend is for cameras in everything....at least I can have my ipod touch and for the time being my g4 still rocks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

No cameras allowed? Hmm... reminds me of my Top-Secret clearance buddy working for the Man in D.C. He leaves his camera friendly cell phone in the car when at work.

Your buddy is likely not allowed to bring a phone of any kind to work (nor any device that can communicate with the outside or that has internal storage). TS workplaces are very obsessed with data security (to say the least).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post

I own a few shares of apple stock and so I was thinking a couple of weeks ago how so much of apples value was currently linked to the iphone. This has played out this week with the stock price going down like a rock.

I think apple was fully aware this would happen when they announced the price cut and was simply their way of correcting the market themselves. In the end the price correction makes apple a much stronger company, no longer dependent on the iphones success. The ipod touch opens up so many different doors for them to explore and now the iphone is just another cool product in their arsenal. If this is not what they intended, in my opinion it could not have played out better. The next stock run up will have more to do with sales of the ipod line, I am ordering my ipod touch today!

You must be related to Cringely. Utter nonsense. The price was lowered not even cause demand was low, quite the opposite actually. Demand was high, but most of those who really wanted the device couldn't pay the $599 price tag. Now, in a way, all those people who wanted one may get one. That's a huge difference, and it will make the iPhone a major player in the cell phone marketplace, and not just a niche product that changes the game and pushes the envelope, which only the wealthy can afford. Let's face it, 4GB was never enough storage, and that one was never wanted, even if it was a bit cheaper.

Also, it's fairly obvious, there's a $499 16GB model just round the corner.

Personally I think the iPhone needs 32GB, but that model will be some time coming. A $499 16GB (hopefully 3G) iPhone seems perfect for the European marketplace. If Apple does this with 3G they will clean up this Christmas. I'd say they may cumulatively sell 5 million iPhones by the end of December.