Elusive Drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks. I have a strange one...

I just acquired a laptop this evening.

My external drive did not mount on the desktop, but was seen in the finder window. Okay, no problem. At least I can access the drive. Then I thought I could drag the drive from the finder window to the desktop. Oops. Proof. No more drive in the finder window.

Disk Utility recognizes the drive as mounted and the drive mounts fine on my other computer (G5 tower).

I shut down the computer/drive and restarted.

I cleaned out my Library Caches (well, those that the computer allowed me to toss)

I plugged in a different external drive... Nothing on the desktop, but it is in the finder.

Any insights? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-Jeff

15" powerbook G4 1.33 GHz 768MB

OSX 10.3.9

Drive: AcomData E5 Firewire

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff Deveraux View Post

Hi folks. I have a strange one...

I just acquired a laptop this evening.

My external drive did not mount on the desktop, but was seen in the finder window. Okay, no problem. At least I can access the drive. Then I thought I could drag the drive from the finder window to the desktop. Oops. Proof. No more drive in the finder window.

Disk Utility recognizes the drive as mounted and the drive mounts fine on my other computer (G5 tower).

I shut down the computer/drive and restarted.

I cleaned out my Library Caches (well, those that the computer allowed me to toss)

I plugged in a different external drive... Nothing on the desktop, but it is in the finder.

Hi Jeff,

check the finder preferences. There are options in there for what info is displayed on the desktop, including Hardisks, and connecte servers.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slyinthedam View Post

Hi Jeff,

check the finder preferences. There are options in there for what info is displayed on the desktop, including Hardisks, and connecte servers.

That did the trick! Thank you very much