Non-musical ringtones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
"iTunes to offer custom ringtones"... "create your own custom ringtones"... "iToner updated for iTunes 7.4.1"... blah blah blah....

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I despise musical ringtones. My iPhone is set to Old Phone, which is the only "professional" ringtone audible in loud environment. I suppose I can use the hack or iToner to add custom business friendly ringtones to iPhone, but that's too much trouble for me. Apple should offer ringtone pack with tones more suitable for business environment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I'd suggest it. I wrote to Apple that you should allow us to use iLife sound or even make one up in Garage Band. If enough people suggest it they might allow it.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I was able to convert a 24 CTU that was in WAV format into a .m4a ringtone and sync it to my iPhone. It's now my default ringtone and other than making sure I converted the WAV to a 128kbps AAC file it was dead simple to do. I used iTunes 7.4.1 and didn't need to hack my phone or anything.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I would be happy with the ring tone used in the iPhone commercials.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I wish you could change some of the other sounds like when SMS messages come in. Mail comes in and so on.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Perhaps Apple should offer Ringtones Pack (similar to GarageBand Jam Packs). I would pay few bucks for an assortment of quality non-musical ringtones suitable for work environment. We should be able to customize "New Voicemail", "New Text Messages", "New Mail", "Sent Mail", and "Calendar Alerts" tones as well.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

"iTunes to offer custom ringtones"... "create your own custom ringtones"... "iToner updated for iTunes 7.4.1"... blah blah blah....

Perhaps I am in the minority, but I despise musical ringtones. My iPhone is set to Old Phone, which is the only "professional" ringtone audible in loud environment. I suppose I can use the hack or iToner to add custom business friendly ringtones to iPhone, but that's too much trouble for me. Apple should offer ringtone pack with tones more suitable for business environment.

Trust me, you're not alone. I was thinking when you bought a ringtone it would be a jingle conversion of the song you want, not the actual song itself.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Perhaps Apple should offer Ringtones Pack (similar to GarageBand Jam Packs). I would pay few bucks for an assortment of quality non-musical ringtones suitable for work environment. We should be able to customize "New Voicemail", "New Text Messages", "New Mail", "Sent Mail", and "Calendar Alerts" tones as well.

Yeah, and they should be 99c for the pack of 15, offering a choice of 3 or 4 packs.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I wish you could change some of the other sounds like when SMS messages come in. Mail comes in and so on.

Surprised you can't. Apple's really taking their time with these so called updates.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Hopefully they will do something like this. Honestly I think it's the only way to get non iTunes ringtones on to the iPhone, without using separate software. I just wish they would let us make our on sounds or use existing sounds.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The current ringtone policy is that all ringtones must be approved of by Apple and a record company that sells ringtones. All custom or home made ringtones or sounds will be erased by Apple software updates to iTunes and/or the iPhone. Apple will figure out how customers are putting their own sounds on the iPhone and create counter measures to erase the sounds and prevent further tampering with the Apple property.

At least that seems to be the policy so far. They choose what you can and can't listen to.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

One can only wish.

I would settle for an iPhone software update that included the ringtone used in the iPhone commercials.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    So let me get this right.. the iPhone doesn't come with the ringtone used in the adverts? That's mad! I really hope Apple provide some decent stock phone sounds when the iPhone hits European shores.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

So let me get this right.. the iPhone doesn't come with the ringtone used in the adverts? That's mad! I really hope Apple provide some decent stock phone sounds when the iPhone hits European shores.

One can choose from an old ring style. Other than that, you get thing such as duck quacking, dogs barking, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

That's not entirely true.

If you could make a ringtone out of "Baby Got Back" or "My Dick In A Box," surely those would be suitable for any business environment.