Where oh where are Maps, Mail and Notes?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Ugh. No, wait, UGH!! Apple's decisions about the 'touch are revealing themselves to be worse and worse.

It's like saying, "the Mac mini runs iCal great but if you want to enter dates you have to upgrade to the iMac. And, by the way, TextEdit is not included with the Mac mini."

The easiest way to describe the iPod touch has been to call it the iPhone minus phone. And that's exactly how Apple should treat it: two devices, one having more hardware bits but both can run any and all of the software that doesn't require that additional hardware.

This is getting extra dumb.

I'm not worrying too much because I have faith that the hacking crowd will restore such functionality, but yeah, I tend to agree. Apple's not playing this one well.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Can you go to maps.google.com on the iPod Touch's web browser?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post

Can you go to maps.google.com on the iPod Touch's web browser?

Yeah but not having a local Mail client is just stupid, seeing as you can still log in with your browser. They may come later I think. Notes though? The iPod classic has notes.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    I really wish Apple would reconsider adding the mail app to the iPod Touch. In reality, having mail there only helps Apple long term in moving more people to Apple devices. In truth, one can buy an iPhone, not activate it, and use it with wi-fi and in a way you've got a iPod Touch plus.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

This was my reaction: "Hey the iPod touch is neat! Safari, Calendar, Contacts! Yay! [pause] Where's Maps? Wh-where's Weather? Notes? Why doesn't it have freakin' Notes!?!"

These are so clearly a shallow, marketing decision that it's painful. Maps is kind a of gray area what with the phone integration.

But Weather and Notes?

I guess you could just go to google for all those things through safari.

Google Maps

Google Docs and Spreadsheet

Gmail

Those cover most of what you're asking for and you don't have to sync with your computer, just log onto google from your computer after and presto.

Has anyone tried those things with the iPhone? How does it play with those google apps?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah but not having a local Mail client is just stupid, seeing as you can still log in with your browser. They may come later I think. Notes though? The iPod classic has notes.

I don't fully understand the notes thing yet (maybe something to do with Leopard?), but I can easily understand the decision to omit widgets, as they require a constant connection to be useful. I'm sure beta testers were walking around without a wireless connection trying to check weather, mail, or maps...only to end up with nothing.

I bet it's all about the user experience and the disappointment of only being able to use half the buttons because of the lack of a wireless connection.