Jobs says Apple won't offer refunds to early iPhone adopters

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelf Life View Post

They usually upgrade the product at the same price. They do not have a history of knocking 33% off the price of an item 10 weeks after launch.

Calling Spetember 5th the holiday season is also a stretch.

I've never bought any new product in this price range that suddenly magically becomes 33% less in value after 2 months.

Never heard of Back To School? Apple has always been big in education. C'mon...that was a gimme.

You're actually wrong. Apple usually does one of two things;

They'll offer an upgraded product for the same price or even less or

They'll offer the same product (no upgrades) for a lesser price while they're launching other goodies.

They just did this. They've always done this...wipe the shock from your face.
  • Reply 162 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

"Unneccasary" - I assume by this you mean "as long as you can control your impulses."

Exactly. Hey, I want it as much as the next MacFan, but anybody who buys a $600 phone the 1st day it's available and then complains when the price goes down should invest in a dictionary and look up the word - "Unneccasary".\
  • Reply 163 of 169
    I have read a lot of the threads and understand the points that many have made on both sides of the whine / no whine position. (I was a whiner because I believe the pace of the decrease did not speak to manufacturing efficiency but to the naked taking advantage of loyal customers.) The $200 is immaterial as I can well afford it. Its principal.

The point that i find incredible is the ease at which people are willing to except the depreciation of the assets they buy. Yes, it happens all the time but you can hold manufacturers accountable. I buy brands of cars that maintain their value so that my asset has greater value when I sell it or trade it in. There is no reason why phone carriers and others could not make some effort towards their existing customers. They have a short term mentality and have trained people to expect nothing!

When you want a simple a transaction orientation with your customers, you burn them when given a chance. If you want lifelong customers, you treat them with respect and care. The point that we are witnessing is does Apple wants to chose transaction or lifetime customers. If they want to be a premium brand they can be, but they cannot be if they mimic the transactional nature of others. The choice is theirs and they will train their customers appropriately. I am reserving my judgement.
  • Reply 164 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

Totally agree. When are people going to start realizing that they need to match the price they pay for something to value they will get out of it? Period. What something costs in a day, a week or a year has zero relevance. Yes, there is an emotional pull when the change happens. But what doesn't change is the assesment the person should have made at the time: Cost Vs. Perceived Value

Does that mean you have to smile and be happy about it? Of course not. Especially when the drop is bigger and faster than anything else from Apple (or most other tech companies) has been. But the core principals we must all use when buying anything did not change with yesterday's news. So vent that and move on. When I read words like "cheated" or "stolen from" or "insulted", I am reminded that even Apple's wonderfully 10X smarter than the PC-drones customers still have a large number of small-minded children among them.

Although I do like the precedent here...going to leave work early to call my high school girlfriend and explain why she owes me more sex since I've heard she puts out like crazy now and never gave it up for me (no, I'm not 100% certain the analogy is the same, but I'm willing to give it a shot).

<Sorry for calling anyone a child. I'm not a fan of the shotgun insult, but this groundswell has me annoyed. I'm not an Apple-defender; I just don't react well to situations where critical thinking is missing>

Eggszakly!!!

Prices always fall, if you don't think the price is fair when you're buying it, don't buy it.

And in the Tech industry, you are almost CERTAIN to pay 30% of the price for a much better product than one you bought last year. This is no secret.
  • Reply 165 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

The point that i find incredible is the ease at which people are willing to except the depreciation of the assets they buy. Yes, it happens all the time but you can hold manufacturers accountable. I buy brands of cars that maintain their value so that my asset has greater value when I sell it or trade it in. There is no reason why phone carriers and others could not make some effort towards their existing customers. They have a short term mentality and have trained people to expect nothing!

When you want a simple a transaction orientation with your customers, you burn them when given a chance. If you want lifelong customers, you treat them with respect and care. The point that we are witnessing is does Apple wants to chose transaction or lifetime customers. If they want to be a premium brand they can be, but they cannot be if they mimic the transactional nature of others. The choice is theirs and they will train their customers appropriately. I am reserving my judgement.

I had dropped this thread for a while, because I was feeling very strong about the "No Whiners" position, but it was becoming unsatisfying. When peopple's feelings are hurt, they are hurt--you cannot simply argue it away.

At least this it a different take. It is a well reasoned argument for the credit and puts the best shine on Apple's response the the blow up (I still have trouble understanding complaints about price drops, but enough of that).

It is sort of amazing how many Apple / Cars anologies can be drawn upon... Of course, it always gets difficult. Not many people can afford cars that go up in value--they cost a pretty penny! Apple does not indend to be the super-high end--porsche dealership, if you will--of the cell phone world, because they intend to sell to the millions...

But still, the idea of transaction Vs. lifetime customers is a valuable one. I just wish Apple introduced the credit with the price drop--not as a response...
  • Reply 166 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I think the press, eager as it always has been to write anything negative about the iPhone, is making a big deal out of nothing. Even if there really are "thousands" of upset loyal Apple fans, that means there are hundreds of thousands of loyal Apple fans like myself who aren't upset at all. Once again, the vocal minority gives the impression that the sky is falling.

The only mistake Apple made is announcing the price drop on the day of the event, instead of waiting a day or two to allow some positive press for all the cool new iPod releases. This morning I'm reading a lot more about blogs and user forums full of typical Apple fanboy babies upset about a price drop (since when is a price drop a bad thing in any industry?) than I am about the all-new nano (which is cheaper than its predecessor, by the way) or the touch, or the Wi-Fi iTunes announcement, etc.

Knowing what I now know about the price drop, if I could go back in time I still wouldn't wait ten weeks to buy an iPhone. I'm guessing most other iPhone users would say the same thing.

$200 is a night or two out at a nice restaurant. I'll take ten weeks of iPhone ownership over that any day of the week.

I honestly think that Apple's "loyal customers" are its worst enemies. Always crying over spilled milk and giving the rest of the world the false impression of poor customer satisfaction. And the press just eats that up.

Right on, I couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Reply 167 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nativeAlien View Post

Right on, I couldn't have said it better myself!

I also agree. Nicely put.
  • Reply 168 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timeline View Post

Hey iPhone early buyers!

I have bought many Mac computers over the years. I remember in the '80s I bought a Mac Lisa for $5000 in 1980 dollars. Within a few months they even dropped support on it and it was TOTALLY worthless.

I still buy MACS and will forever because I like the wonderful technology efforts the boys up there in Coopertino put into the products.

I look forward to them lowering the price of high end Pro desktops so I can sell my G5 dual 2.5ghz. I may even pop for a iPhone someday too.

Hail Jobs!!

You can now get your refund for that Mac Lisa too!

linky-poo
  • Reply 169 of 169
    Just an FYI, if anyone bought the iphone with their american express, then you can get 200 bucks back courtesy of AMEX. then, just sit back and get a hundred bucks from apple.