Zune "zooms" away?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
(note to mods: wasn't sure if this should go in iPod forum or what..feel free to move if needed)

I have noticed something. The Zune has been around for almost a year now, and it has only released new colors. However, the iPod has seen updates...new colors....and even more updates....(the iPod has even seen a phone update...lol)

Do you think this lack of news...lack of updates...is a sign MS has given up, or just not ready to show more on the Zune?

And its funny....the Zune hasn't done anything to the iPod market.

And another thing...I still think that MS has gotten it all wrong. They have adde way too much to the Zune. And can it really be upgraded? I mean, you can add radio's...wireless transmitters....just about anything (search at apple.com for all the stuff)...and the Zune...what..can..you do with it? Part of what makes iPod a brand name is more then the product itself, but that so many companies can build upon it. Or, if you want, you can have just a simple iPod. The Zune...well, you can have what comes with the Zune. But what if I want it connected to my car wireless through the FM radio? I mean.....really....what can you do with the Zune?

Anyway, just ranting/talking about the Zune.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I try not to think about the Zune and the horrendous failure it is. Interesting if hideous bit of R&D at Microsoft. Tragic overall though.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Zune 2.0 is on its way very soon, and FM Transmitters are available for any device with a headphone jack. =)
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I mean.....really....what can you do with the Zune?

You can listen to your music library or the radio, or you can watch movies. There's the WiFi stuff, but that has been poorly implemented. Overall, the device has been a dud, but Microsoft has lots of money and patience. I think the iPod is a lot better, but don't kid yourself that the Zune has no utility.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

I think the iPod is a lot better, but don't kid yourself that the Zune has no utility.

It's a *fantastic* tax writeoff.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

The XBox, too.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

lol...have to admit I didn't think of that.....
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Microsoft has been dead for years now, the zune is just another failure product they have released in the last few years.

Zune is to Vista as the iPod is to OS X
  • Reply 8 of 16
    What's a Zune?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

What's a Zune?

Nothing.

Seriously, though, I think MS could be a major contender if they manage to make the Zune nearly everything that an iPod is for about $50 less. Side by side at the local Best Buy, the Zune would be more appealing for Mr. and Mrs. TechKnowNothing.

"Mom, Dad, I wanted an iPod for Christmas!"

"The Best Buy salesman said the Zune's just like the iPod, but it was less expensive."

Done.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Zune 2.0 is on its way very soon, and FM Transmitters are available for any device with a headphone jack. =)

So, will the new version spray instead of squirt?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Do you think this lack of news...lack of updates...is a sign MS has given up, or just not ready to show more on the Zune?

Ummm the new iPods were just released.... how on earth could MS be ready to show off anything more about the Zune feature wise given their development team is just now getting their hands on those new models...

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

So, will the new version spray instead of squirt?

It still squirts, but it'll be ready to squirt again much sooner after the last squirt than the old model.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

What's a Zune?

Cash Cab, a general knowledge quiz show that takes place in a NY taxi cab, asked a similar question on a recent show. There were four people playing, and they were pretty good. The question that interested me was "Introduced by Microsoft in 2006 this digital audio player was dubbed the iPod killer". The team struggled with the answer. Finally one of the women blurted out "I think it's Zune!" The team cheered her correct answer and another member said, "Wow she really knows her trivia!".
  • Reply 14 of 16
    i am not a microsoft fan, but it would be pure ignorance to think that the zune does not have tricks up its sleeve, microft is gooing to implament it with xbox live i bettering, as well as other things, they are stupid, yes , but they are far to rich and greedy to quit now, shit we lost a billion dollars, oh well, do it again! , they can keep on. all they have to do is limit the ipod with vista and promote the zune,
  • Reply 15 of 16
    The zune may be a great product. Really. I've used one at a store, and it seemed pretty smooth.

HOWEVER... I've heard that it doesn't really play nice with your computer... i.e. hardware-software integration is not nearly as strong as iPod/iTunes.

There's also the issue of... well, in order to use some of the Zune's features, other people have to actually have one. Zunes are no fun if you can't stream music to anyone else because there's no other zune... catch my drift? Add that functionality to an iPod, however, and I guarantee people would start using that feature, because people BUY iPods, and there'd be a lot of people to stream with.

Basically the Zune came into the game too late. It's another Microsoft software product, made to work with third party hardware that looks a little cosmetically different. It would have been revolutionary, had it come five years earlier.

Apple makes the software and hardware. They know their shit. They market their products like woah, and it works. People buy the product, the end. Plus, it's a pretty good product if you ask me. Zune won't catch up.