iPod touch Video Capabilities plus iTunes Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Greetings all! I'm strongly considering the purchase of an iPod touch soon but have some questions that are bothering me.

Although I have read the iPod touch specs I'm confused about two things: exactly which video formats will the iPod touch work with. It *appears* that .m4v, .mp4, and .mov files are supported. True? What about .mpeg? .wmv?, flash movies?

My other question is: Is the only way to get these files onto the iPod touch through iTunes? Is it not possible to place the files directly on the iPod touch by mounting the iPod touch image on ones Mac Desktop? Too bad Bluetooth is not part of the package; that would have allowed for access to the directory and drag and dropping of files directly where they should be.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help!

Regards,

SNazz123

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Video ipods are very finicky about what formats are supported. I'm pretty sure it wont support flash movies, mpeg and certainly not wmv. If you view the tech specs on the website, you can see exactly what format and resolution is supported.

I'm sure iTunes is the only way to get viewable video onto the ipod touch. If the ipod touch supports disk mode (and I don't see that it does on the website), you can use it to carry all types of files, but you still won't be able to view them unless you upload in the proper format and resolution via iTunes.

For tutorials, do a google search for 'ipod video tutorials' and you'll get lots of options.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I found the iPod touch specs for Video a bit dodgy as they kept mentioning audio support for .mp4, .m4v, and .mov within the context of the Video header. So, I assume, these video formats also support the video aspects of each format as well.

Now I'm wondering if the iPod touch through Safari supports: downloads and installation of files, downloads and saving of QuickTime files directly, etc.

The more I read about the iPod touch the more questions it seems to stir up!

Snazz123
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'm surprised. Will the iPod Touch be that different than the 5G? With my 5G, I can drag and drop .mp4 files on its icon in iTunes and it syncs it over and is playable on the 5G with no problems. Does it appear that this will not be possible with the iPod Touch?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Does anyone know if you use the wireless internet feature on the Ipod Touch or Iphone can you access websites and log into web mail, post to forums or is it just viewable?

Thanks

TVteacher
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

If the ipod touch supports disk mode (and I don't see that it does on the website), ....

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

"Stores data via USB flash drive" - Is this Apple's clear-as-mud way of saying that it has disk mode?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tvteacher View Post

Does anyone know if you use the wireless internet feature on the Ipod Touch or Iphone can you access websites and log into web mail, post to forums or is it just viewable?

The manual mentions how to enter words into text fields but nothing more concrete than that.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306413

I think we'll have to wait until release for definitive answers.