Apple unleashes iPhone ringtones feature via iTunes (first look)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Like I said previously >>

Before anyone tells me that there is an update to iToner, I already know this. It?s the principle of the matter. I shouldn?t have to fight with Apple to have my own damn sounds on my own damn iPhone!!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This ringtone stuff is of limited importance. All it really does is annoy everyone else that hears them.

Oh well.

From what I've been hearing out there, people just LOVE annoying others.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Alex Lindsay endorses iToner.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

I can only convert songs purchased from iTMS? LOL. It is so easy to take anything from my CD collection and crop an MP3 that works great on my phone. That's legal, isn't it?

From CD, I think so, as long as you have a legal copy of the CD. I'm not a lawyer though.

If you bought your song from iTunes Store, no, it's against the TOS.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

I can only convert songs purchased from iTMS? LOL. It is so easy to take anything from my CD collection and crop an MP3 that works great on my phone. That's legal, isn't it?

Yes, but possibly not for ringtones.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    With the iPhone connected to the computer, iTunes does not show the "ringtones" check box in View Options on my machine.

And shortly after I posted that, I quit iTunes and launched it again for the fourth time today, and now I have the Ringtones option. Of all my music, I have exactly two songs that are eligible for ringtones.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dssstrkl View Post

Well, out of my 5381 songs, I have ZERO that are available as ringtones....

Only 10 of my 1785 songs --a combination of ripped CDs and iTMS purchases, from a diverse (eclectic?) group of artists -- are elegible.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Capitalism has it's good points but this isn't one of them. Or to phrase it another way - just because you can make a profit out of something doesn't mean you should.

Apple, you know that clean bite out of your logo - well its starting to go brown around the edges as the flesh oxidises and it isn't looking so appealing any more.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...-11-09-00.html

Totally free. Door knob easy. There is no technical reason why anyone should ever buy a ringtone. Don't be so hard on Apple, though. Many companies sell ringtones for $2.50 and up, and you don't get the song. Apple likely has the best ringtone deal on the market. And ridiculous or not, ringtones are a huge market... for suckers. Anyone willing to pay that kind of money for a ringtone deserves to be fleeced.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts...-11-09-00.html

Totally free. Door knob easy. There is no technical reason why anyone should ever buy a ringtone. Don't be so hard on Apple, though. Many companies sell ringtones for $2.50 and up, and you don't get the song. Apple likely has the best ringtone deal on the market. And ridiculous or not, ringtones are a huge market... for suckers. Anyone willing to pay that kind of money for a ringtone deserves to be fleeced.

I totally agree, I just don't want Apple thinking they can erase my files without really pissing me off.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Oh boy, those sure are slim pickins.

Given how few there are, I wish the was a way to search for music under the heading of "ringtones" in the iTunes Store (rather than the current setup, which is the other way around).

Not up to Apple's usual standards of implementation. Hopefully, it will improve soon. I'll check back in a week.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    For those complaining about the lack of ringtones, just remember that it is a licensing issue.

When Apple first opened iTunes, there were "just" a few hundred thousand songs. Now, Jobs said there are over 6 million.

More will come when those licensing issues get straightened out.

As for doing it illegally, that's another issue.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Yeah, paying for a ringtone should be a sin. There are free ways to get a ringtone, as a previous poster has stated. You can use up to 30 seconds of anything you want, and it's legal. I had like 1,000 ringtones from using AudioHijack and the iTunes preview.

Noncommercial use of course.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I've purchased two ringtones, and made the ringtones, from songs I purchased this year on iTunes, on this computer, but when I synch my iPhone it says it won't sync the ringtones because I am not authorized to play the songs on this computer. The songs play fine on my computer. Anyone know what gives?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danpallotta View Post

I've purchased two ringtones, and made the ringtones, from songs I purchased this year on iTunes, on this computer, but when I synch my iPhone it says it won't sync the ringtones because I am not authorized to play the songs on this computer. The songs play fine on my computer. Anyone know what gives?

Only songs that are available on iTMS as ringtones will play as a ringtone on your iPhone. You are able to pay for and make a ringtone out of any song you already purchased from iTMS, you just can't play it as a ringtone on your iPhone. You then are just a sucker, like me last night.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PantENoiz View Post

Only songs that are available on iTMS as ringtones will play as a ringtone on your iPhone. You are able to pay for and make a ringtone out of any song you already purchased from iTMS, you just can't play it as a ringtone on your iPhone. You then are just a sucker, like me last night.

Well that sucks...
  • Reply 37 of 48
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danpallotta View Post

We had this same problem. It's a glitch in the new version of iTunes, it seems, if you can reproduce this error.

Best,

K
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Ah, found some great John McLaughlin, Grandmaster Flash, and Jean-luc Ponty (I know, I know, these date me.......).

$10 down the drain, all for stuff I had already ripped from CDs.

Sucker. But quite an impressed one. Really works quite well.

• Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

We had this same problem. It's a glitch in the new version of iTunes, it seems, if you can reproduce this error.

Best,

K

It happened to me too. I had to authorize my main iTunes computer to store the first ringtone I downloaded. After the first time, it did not ask again.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Absolutely Unacceptable: I repeatedly tried to edit extensions after updating to the latest version of iTunes and was not able to do so.

The only way I could edit extensions was to either edit them before I started iTunes or if I started iTunes I had to not only quit iTunes but literally restart my computer.

Thats sort of a weird facist control trip Apples employing on us users. Really lame and a major turn off.

-Eric