iMac USB question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Are each of the USB ports on the new iMacs on a separate bus or on the same bus? I'm asking because I want to have multiple streaming analog video from cable tv come into it. Right now, while using a MacBook Pro, there is not enough bandwidth to allow 2 streams at the same time. Apparently both USB ports are on the same bus. So I'd like to know if I get a new iMac, will it accept both sources of video. Would there be some other way to get both streams into the unit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    a quick inspection of the hardware profile seems to suggest they are all separate buses. you would hope so anyway, because with only 3 ports most users are inevitably going to plug in hubs (i know i am)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

a quick inspection of the hardware profile seems to suggest they are all separate buses. you would hope so anyway, because with only 3 ports most users are inevitably going to plug in hubs (i know i am)

Not exactly relevant but might interest you... I can get full usb power by plugging an iPod or DSLR into the spare usb ports on the new wired aluminium keyboard.... something you couldn't do on the old white keyboards because you always got the 'low power usb port' notice. It means I now have 2 extra USB ports on my new iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    i've noticed this too. it will be nice to free one of these up now that apple has ditched the (b*s*a*d) logic pro dongle

shame my ipod battery has died