Apple unveils Logic Studio with MainStage

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday unveiled Logic Studio, a comprehensive suite of professional tools aimed at providing musicians with everything they need to create, produce and perform in the studio and on the stage for just $499.

Logic Studio features Logic Pro 8, a major upgrade that combines a new interface with Logic's renowned sound quality and rock-solid timing, and introduces MainStage, an innovative new live performance application that turns the Mac into a streamlined live rig.

Logic Studio also includes Soundtrack Pro 2, Apple's professional audio post production software; Studio Instruments, made up of 40 pristine quality instruments; Studio Effects, with 80 professional effect plug-ins; a vast Studio Sound Library; and a powerful set of production utilities.

"From the fun and intuitive GarageBand to the all new Logic Studio, there's never been a better time to be a musician on the Mac," said Rob Schoeben, Apple's vice president of Applications Product Marketing. "For less than $500, Logic Studio transforms the Mac into the most powerful musical instrument in the world."

Logic Pro 8

At the heart of Logic Studio is Logic Pro 8, now with a single-window interface for instant access to powerful music creation and production functions, including snap-to-transient selection and sample accurate editing directly in the Arrange window. New audio production tools such as Quick Swipe Comping and dynamic channel strip creation have been designed to speed up common tasks. Logic Pro 8 also includes end-to-end surround production capabilities with innovative surround panning controls, multichannel tracks and busses, and support for True Surround software instruments and effects.

MainStage

Meanwhile, MainStage turns the Mac into a powerful live performance rig that, according to Apple, "produces reliable, consistent sound -- whether music is being made at home, in a rehearsal space, or in front of an audience." Screen controls link software plug-ins to hardware knobs, faders and buttons, so musicians can use their favorite gear while performing live. An easy-to-read interactive display, designed for distant viewing in dim light, shows exactly the information needed on stage. Professional templates simplify set-up giving musicians more time to explore and create their own unique sounds.

Soundtrack Pro 2

Soundtrack Pro 2 is the musician's bridge to sound for picture with professional editing tools and seamless film and video integration that simplifies every aspect of the audio post production process. Musicians can compose their score in Logic Pro 8 then use Soundtrack Pro 2 to edit dialog, design sound effects and complete the mix in cinematic sound.

Studio Instruments

Studio Instruments with 40 instrument plug-ins have been designed to enable musicians to access and play almost any sound imaginable, including enhanced versions of Ultrabeat, Sculpture and ES2 synthesizers, and the EXS24 sampler. Studio Effects include a new Delay Designer plug-in that offers in-depth control over individual delay taps, and Space Designer, now with True Surround enhancements for multichannel audio processing.

Logic Studio offers musicians a vast Studio Sound Library, featuring content from the five Jam Pack collections and Final Cut Studio 2, for a total of 18,000 Apple Loops, 1,300 EXS instruments and 5,000 sound effects that span a huge variety of genres and styles. Production utilities include WaveBurner for CD mastering, Compressor 3 for surround encoding, an Apple Loops utility and a new Impulse Response utility for capturing the acoustics of real performance spaces.

Pricing & Availability

Logic Studio is now available for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Registered Logic Pro 7 users can upgrade to Logic Studio for $199 (US). Customers who purchased Logic Pro 7 on or after August 1, 2007 are eligible for a free upgrade to Logic Studio ($9.95 shipping & handling).

Full system requirements and more information on Logic Studio including a list of certified, compatible hardware and software, can be found at Apple's Logic Studio website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Holy crap, it's finally here!
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Looks like a great deal that should appear soon... with any luck!
  • Reply 3 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    For what it's worth, It looks like last year's Logic Studio was $999, now $499, upgrades are now $199 (from old Pro) and $299 (from Express). Last year's Logic Express was $299, now $199 and upgrades are $99. The cost of entry is now a lot lower than it was last year.

Is there a trade show this week? Apple usually doesn't announce new Pro App stuff except on the week of a related trade show.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    This looks like a great deal for this reason alone--Logic Studio ships with 5 Jam Packs full of Apple loops. The Jam Packs cost $100 each, so it's like you're getting the software for free!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    This is fantastic! So, I can use Logic to make a song to use as a ringtone. Will iTunes accept that?

p.s. this is a rhetorical question
  • Reply 6 of 36
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Looks good. Seems to address everything that needed addressing plus some innovations. Damn good price.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    praise be! HALLELUJAH!!!

edit: OMG no more dongle! :o
  • Reply 8 of 36
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Wow. It's about fucking time. Thank God (yeah, the occasion gets a capital G) for no more dongle, a thorn in our side bridging two centuries. Looks like no new instruments, though.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Looks real nice.

Fantastic price.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    rtxrtx Posts: 23member
    Wow, this is a huge release. There's TONS of functionality in here, and it looks like they've fixed almost all the previous complaints. Bundling stuff like Soundtrack Pro is sweet, and I bet they're gonna get a ton of gigging musicians using Mainstage.

Before, I found it hard to get into Logic - it was complicated. I prefer ProTools and Tracktion on the mac, and Samplitude on the PC. But now... this is a certain buy for me.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Maybe just me, but I still prefer MOTU's Digital Performer anyways...
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Wow, main stage is going to be a god send for me...
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackfrog View Post

This is fantastic! So, I can use Logic to make a song to use as a ringtone. Will iTunes accept that?

p.s. this is a rhetorical question

No way. You don't have the right to use your own music as a ringtone!

No actually, that will work. But it will cost you $.99 to do it.

• Reply 14 of 36
    This looks good. Finally Apple is showing some serious work on the Logic GUI. Much needed. Great prices too! The new Mainstage looks nice, but perhaps a little basic. I'm not sure how it handles midi arrangements or audio tracks, syncing to midi clocks and arrangements etc. Looks nice though, but I don't think it's an Ableton Live replacement. More like an entry level thing. Nice though!
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Thanks, Apple!!

This is great! It's like a one-stop-shop at an unbelievable price. Seems like my Pro Tools is going to get sidelined now.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

The new Mainstage looks nice, but perhaps a little basic. I'm not sure how it handles midi arrangements or audio tracks, syncing to midi clocks and arrangements etc. Looks nice though, but I don't think it's an Ableton Live replacement. More like an entry level thing. Nice though!

Not basic at all - it's completely different from Ableton Live and not entry level at all. On quick glance, Mainstage looks like a way to easily map hardware controllers onto software instrument parameters. It's the missing link between software instruments and real live hardware instruments you can use during performance.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Maybe just me, but I still prefer MOTU's Digital Performer anyways...

It's just you.

The only people I know who still use Digital Performer are people who've been using it for awhile and don't want to change, and film composers who like the way it handles score for picture.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Now I'm torn... do I get Logic Studio, or upgrade my Final Cut Studio? Decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 19 of 36
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

No actually, that will work. But it will cost you $.99 to do it.

Is that actually the case? I've still not heard confirmation of the idea that you can pay .99 to have your OWN music (ripped from CD or your own sound file) converted to a ringtone via the service.

All of the verbiage around this indicates to me that you can only convert music purchased from ITS.

I frankly don't have a problem with .99 for conversion of any file... its the idea that only iTunes content that can be converted that bugs me. I have tones of 'sounds' I'd like to use (sound effects mainly). But I HATE the use of songs as ringtones.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Is that actually the case? I've still not heard confirmation of the idea that you can pay .99 to have your OWN music (ripped from CD or your own sound file) converted to a ringtone via the service.

All of the verbiage around this indicates to me that you can only convert music purchased from ITS.

I frankly don't have a problem with .99 for conversion of any file... its the idea that only iTunes content that can be converted that bugs me. I have tones of 'sounds' I'd like to use (sound effects mainly). But I HATE the use of songs as ringtones.

You know you can make your own ringtones for free and quite easily, right?

Check the iPhone ringtone thread in the iPhone section for quick instructions on how to do this.