Stupid question - sorry!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I borrowed a DVD from my public library and have not had a chance to watch it yet (The Motorcycle Diaries). The DVD is due tomorrow.

Is it possible to make a disk image of the DVD and watch the disk image like a real DVD?

I am not interested in burning a copy because I do not have a DVD burner. I only want to be able to watch the movie.

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It is possible. Legally, it is questionable. My first suggestion is just to renew the DVD. My library around here allows me to do that over the phone.

I won't say a specific name, but there are programs that backup DVD's and that you might look for. I've had to use that once because my DVD player would not play a specific disk so I had to make a copy that did work. And no, I no longer have the movie any more.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks Ebby. Unfortunately the public libraries here only permit you to renew books, not music CDs or DVDs. VHS tapes can be renewed but not DVDs. Go figure.

As to making copies of the DVD, I do not have a DVD burner and so cannot burn a copy, which is why the question of viewing the DMG directly came up.

Anyway, it is now a moot point because I just returned the DVD, did not have time to watch it.

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Thanks Ebby. Unfortunately the public libraries here only permit you to renew books, not music CDs or DVDs. VHS tapes can be renewed but not DVDs. Go figure.

As to making copies of the DVD, I do not have a DVD burner and so cannot burn a copy, which is why the question of viewing the DMG directly came up.

Anyway, it is now a moot point because I just returned the DVD, did not have time to watch it.

Cheers

For future reference Mac The Ripper will remove encryption (the illegal part) but also copy the DVD to hard disk for playing later.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14414

Once MtR is finished one DVD Player > File menu > Open > Select the Video_TS folder for the DVD you've ripped.

If you wish to transfer it to iPod/AppleTV/iMovie then Handbrake is a better option but takes a lot longer because it is converting video.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

If I go away for a few days I often copy a few DVDs to my Powerbook's hard disk. I've also used it to make back-up copies of DVDs and extend time on DVD rentals.

Whilst technically illegal I do buy and rent plenty of DVDs but just use MtR to give myself a little flexibility in my busy schedule.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thank you mrtotes.

Cheers