Apple unveils Logic Studio with MainStage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    I just set my Cubase4 dongal on fire using iLighterFluid.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    i wonder if the instruments like guitar pro got revamped or any others ,the upgrade $ seems little if not a lot for a user like me i been with logic 6 ever since,now i am using logic 7.2, bought have final cut 4 ,two of those jam packs and also what about not using the dongle anymore,seems where back to the serial numbers off course this free a usb port on a laptop ,the 499 price is better deal than a 1000 ,for newbies ,and steve job wants a share of the audio market but right now pro tools is the choice for many and there is a hardware issue you need good pre mic for good audio unless that some day apple offers good a/d inside the computer which i do not see a reason why not ,that would be less hardware to carry around
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by movingstereo View Post

i wonder if the instruments like guitar pro got revamped or any others ,the upgrade $ seems little if not a lot for a user like me i been with logic 6 ever since,now i am using logic 7.2, bought have final cut 4 ,two of those jam packs and also what about not using the dongle anymore,seems where back to the serial numbers off course this free a usb port on a laptop ,the 499 price is better deal than a 1000 ,for newbies ,and steve job wants a share of the audio market but right now pro tools is the choice for many and there is a hardware issue you need good pre mic for good audio unless that some day apple offers good a/d inside the computer which i do not see a reason why not ,that would be less hardware to carry around

The A/D could be put in a USB mic or an XLR to USB adapter. Inside a computer is a contentious place to do it because there are plenty of other potential RFI sources inside the same enclosure.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    Quote:

right now pro tools is the choice for many and there is a hardware issue you need good pre mic for good audio unless that some day apple offers good a/d inside the computer which i do not see a reason why not ,that would be less hardware to carry around

Apple partnered with Apogee who have long standing and hi-profile history of AD/DA hardware.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/apogee/
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

They have. Ultrabeat has plenty of new features. Space Designer now has a utility for creating impulse responses. Guitar Amp likely has ehanced features as well I just haven't come across them. Delay Designer is cool. Surround Sound is everywhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paraclude

New Ultrabeat feature

So I may be one of the few that loves Ultrabeat, as a result I have been looking at the whats new pdf. Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that you can modulate all parameters in the step window now, similar to step-lock on the Machinedrum. If that is the case, then wow. Also the sidechain feature looks cool as well.

I'm eyeballing the Apogee Duet FW interface along with Logic Studio. Match made in heaven
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Not basic at all - it's completely different from Ableton Live and not entry level at all. On quick glance, Mainstage looks like a way to easily map hardware controllers onto software instrument parameters. It's the missing link between software instruments and real live hardware instruments you can use during performance.

Yeah that's nice.. I do that all the time in Live, and before that in Reason. But I do so much more than that in Live, that's why I refer to Mainstage as somewhat entry level compared to Live. A really visibly unchallenged way to manage and use software synths and effects via midi or whatever, especially for stage. I hate to lean forward to the computer to read the tiny Live UI font to fix stuff for example.

But on stage, at least for me, it's normal to have means to play and manage software synths, start up a couple of midi tracks that play software and hardware synths, manage and run midi track based drum arrangements on the go. It looks like Mainstage stops at the live synth part, and relies on other software for the rest. However after reading the PDF it looks like Mainstage isn't ReWire compatible, so it might be hard to sync the apps you need with Mainstage.. On second thought I guess most midi things are possible if you find the right third party audio units...
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

right now pro tools is the choice for many and there is a hardware issue you need good pre mic for good audio unless that some day apple offers good a/d inside the computer which i do not see a reason why not ,that would be less hardware to carry around

That's a good point and certainly the industry is moving in that direction, with more of what is traditionally outboard gear increasingly handled inside of the computer. Decent mic pres and a/d converters are still outboard gear for any DAW, including ProTools and Logic equally.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hujib View Post

Apple partnered with Apogee who have long standing and hi-profile history of AD/DA hardware.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/apogee/

Apogee has good stuff, but Logic will work with any converter.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Yeah that's nice.. I do that all the time in Live, and before that in Reason. But I do so much more than that in Live, that's why I refer to Mainstage as somewhat entry level compared to Live.

You're saying Mainstage is entry level because it doesn't have the sequencing functions of Live or Reason but I think that misses the point. Mainstage isn't trying to be a sequencer (Logic is). Mainstage serves an entirely different and particular purpose.

Reason, which does a lot of things, is often viewed as a jack of all trades master of meh, while Mainstage looks like it does one thing and one thing really really well. I would imagine Mainstage will be used as part of a lot of live acts.

I know that clever people have always been able to map their hardware controllers onto anything, but it's often a big pain and unreliable. This looks like a great way to connect the dots.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

But on stage, at least for me, it's normal to have means to play and manage software synths, start up a couple of midi tracks that play software and hardware synths, manage and run midi track based drum arrangements on the go. It looks like Mainstage stops at the live synth part, and relies on other software for the rest. However after reading the PDF it looks like Mainstage isn't ReWire compatible, so it might be hard to sync the apps you need with Mainstage.. On second thought I guess most midi things are possible if you find the right third party audio units...

I would bet (I would hope!) that it would somehow be easy enough to use it to trigger Reason, Live, Logic of course, and other MIDI goodness. And like you said, 3rd parties to step in if needed.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Maybe just me, but I still prefer MOTU's Digital Performer anyways...

Yeah, i thinks it's just you.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyce View Post

Yeah, i thinks it's just you.

Have you tried both programs, or is it just a pro-Apple bias from a cheerleader?
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Have you tried both programs, or is it just a pro-Apple bias from a cheerleader?

Of course, I'm a cat not a cheerleader, but IMHO Logic kicks DP's ass many times over. DP is great for scoring to picture, if that's your thing, but just doesn't have the same kind of juice that Logic now has. If you're into DAW, for $500, Logic is now almost impossible not to buy.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    NO... I AM A CAT,LOL.... anyway this release looks great! the whole Digital direction of smaller better faster cheaper certainly applies to this release,appogees duet is so small and so functional its a real boon... if only I had it when i made this---> http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...30784&s=143441

yes thats me!!!!! CHECK IT OUT,hopefully my next release will be done on logic 8.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Interestingly, Logic Express/Studio doesn't seem to be available via the education store. Not that I thought that there would be a huge discount or anything, but it does seem surprising to click on the name and get "The item you have selected is currently not available from the Apple Store."

Didn't the education version of Logic Express 7 sell for 199, with a fairly restrictive license, no future upgrade discount, etc., or am I misremembering?

Edit: It looks like it's just the link on the right column that doesn't work. Going through the "software" category on the left, both LE 8 & Studio 8 are available. There's a $50 discount for Studio & $20 for LE. Not huge discounts, but about what one expects these days (the discount for iLife was $8).
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dylanw23 View Post

Interestingly, Logic Express/Studio doesn't seem to be available via the education store. Not that I thought that there would be a huge discount or anything, but it does seem surprising to click on the name and get "The item you have selected is currently not available from the Apple Store."

Didn't the education version of Logic Express 7 sell for 199, with a fairly restrictive license, no future upgrade discount, etc., or am I misremembering?

Edit: It looks like it's just the link on the right column that doesn't work. Going through the "software" category on the left, both LE 8 & Studio 8 are available. There's a $50 discount for Studio & $20 for LE. Not huge discounts, but about what one expects these days (the discount for iLife was $8).

Then wouldn't it be better to just spend the extra $50 and get an edition that you can upgrade.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Then wouldn't it be better to just spend the extra $50 and get an edition that you can upgrade.

I think that it was only the edu version of LE 7 that had those restrictions. I didn't see anything about those upgrade restrictions on the new version. Maybe that's the upside of the shallow discount.