iPod Touch unpacking tour and first look (photos)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Will you really make productive use of all those apps or just don't want to feel you are being left out? I'm sure at this point Apples priority is to differentiate the iPhone and iPod Touch. The point is develop them into two distinct product categories. To do that you don't want too much overlap.

The iPod Touch could make a great PDA so as time goes on I'm sure they will share many of the same apps.
  • Reply 82 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by potterhead4 View Post

Wait, aren't you supposed to create heated debate by arguing the facts rather than engaging in ad hominem attacks? Sorry, but I think that's seriously misusing the word debate. Try mudslinging.

On the actual subject, I don't think it's fair to discount video as a "different story." One of the major selling points of this device is having this great display that makes video truly watchable. As you've stated, video takes up a lot of room, which means storage is critical. The Touch just doesn't have enough space to truly make that gorgeous screen useful.

lol, seriously do you spend much time on internet forums, if my post truly offended you, you really need to learn to take what's posted with a grain of salt. Its was all opinion btw so your point about facts is kinda moot.

As for your point about the video, I find my iPhone screen great, but I didn't buy it for video, no matter how good it is after about 10-15 mins. of watching video on any 3.5" screen it makes you go blind, the screen is just to small for movies or anything more than a quick video. With that I have no problem with keeping a couple of episodes of scrubs and a few video clips on my iPhone along with 4gb of music I have on my play lists.

There are always going to be people who have a retarded amount of music and actually need 80GB+, but those are few and far between. For most it seems 5-10GB is sufficient.
  • Reply 83 of 119
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Will you really make productive use of all those apps or just don't want to feel you are being left out?

I personally would use the calendar app on an iPod touch/iPhone more than I would the iPod functionality. Not being able to input new appointments is a deal breaker, pure and simple.

Seeing as though I'd have to sign up for AT&T to get an iPhone (or go through the hassle of unlocking it), I'm not really interested in that scenario. I'm very happy with T-Mobile and have been a customer since before T-Mobile took over Voicestream took over Aerial. Yeah.
  • Reply 84 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

lol, seriously do you spend much time on internet forums, if my post truly offended you, you really need to learn to take what's posted with a grain of salt. Its was all opinion btw so your point about facts is kinda moot.

No, it didn't offend me, I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't use ad hominems to start "heated debates," for moral and etymological reasons. Also, I think I may have two or three more posts than you on these forums, so do watch what you say.

Quote:

As for your point about the video, I find my iPhone screen great, but I didn't buy it for video, no matter how good it is after about 10-15 mins. of watching video on any 3.5" screen it makes you go blind, the screen is just to small for movies or anything more than a quick video.

That's a valid opinion, certainly, but I think you're looking at it in terms of traditional TV entertainment. Others (I among them) will argue that it's probably the best portable viewing experience out there. Sure there are bigger portable screens, but how many do you actually want to put in your pocket? I tested a friend's iPhone on this point extensively, and I found video very watchable, even for really wide shots in 16:9, which is something that's pretty useless on my 5.5G iPod. Having spent hours watching video on that device's 2.5" 4:3 screen myself, I assure you that you will not go blind on the iPhone's, which is a screen I would personally really enjoy watching videos on.

Quote:

There are always going to be people who have a retarded amount of music and actually need 80GB+, but those are few and far between. For most it seems 5-10GB is sufficient.

I have 7GBs of music, which is the very very low end among my friends. Plus, there is something to be said about carrying around your entire CD library and using the thing as a media center, not just a player (see my previous post), and this is where the Touch falls short. Just because you use your device as more of a player and less as a media center doesn't mean those other uses aren't valid ones. And again, discounting video in this context is a mistake. One of my favorite uses for my 80gb 5.5G iPod is storing a huge video collection and plugging it into TVs on the go. It's made hotels, tailgates, parties and just hanging out with friends much more enjoyable, and it's not something you can do with a Touch.

Now before you say anything rash, do remember that at the end of my last post I made a point of evaluating the Touch for what it is, which is one heck of a media player, but not really a media center. I also pointed out that it wasn't really Apple's fault, but more that flash technology just hasn't advanced enough where lots of storage is affordable. My original point, however, remains that there are valid reasons to want lots of storage, and I think you've continued to overlook those reasons here.
  • Reply 85 of 119
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Will you really make productive use of all those apps or just don't want to feel you are being left out? I'm sure at this point Apples priority is to differentiate the iPhone and iPod Touch. The point is develop them into two distinct product categories. To do that you don't want too much overlap.

The iPod Touch could make a great PDA so as time goes on I'm sure they will share many of the same apps.

I just went over to Apple Store in Emeryville and picked up a Touch.

Yup, doesn't do everything I'd ultimately like, but guess what? My original Mac Plus didn't originally do nearly as much as even this little bugger. There's this stuff inside called 'operating system' and 'software'. It think its going to be kinda fun watching new apps and functionality pop up over the next year.

In the meantime, god is this thing beautiful.

(do wish it had a camera tho'.)
  • Reply 86 of 119
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    BTW, I had always heard that the orientation sensor only allowed the iPhone to be used upright or when rotated 1/4 counterclockwise. But the Touch orients to any of the 4 directions, via either left or right rotation.

(Just occured to me when someone complained that you couldn't use the little plastic stand in portrait mode. that's not true.)
  • Reply 87 of 119
    Quote:

No, it didn't offend me, I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't use ad hominems to start "heated debates," for moral and etymological reasons. Also, I think I may have two or three more posts than you on these forums, so do watch what you say.

That's a valid opinion, certainly, but I think you're looking at it in terms of traditional TV entertainment. Others (I among them) will argue that it's probably the best portable viewing experience out there. Sure there are bigger portable screens, but how many do you actually want to put in your pocket? I tested a friend's iPhone on this point extensively, and I found video very watchable, even for really wide shots in 16:9, which is something that's pretty useless on my 5.5G iPod. Having spent hours watching video on that device's 2.5" 4:3 screen myself, I assure you that you will not go blind on the iPhone's, which is a screen I would personally really enjoy watching videos on.

I have 7GBs of music, which is the very very low end among my friends. Plus, there is something to be said about carrying around your entire CD library and using the thing as a media center, not just a player (see my previous post), and this is where the Touch falls short. Just because you use your device as more of a player and less as a media center doesn't mean those other uses aren't valid ones. And again, discounting video in this context is a mistake. One of my favorite uses for my 80gb 5.5G iPod is storing a huge video collection and plugging it into TVs on the go. It's made hotels, tailgates, parties and just hanging out with friends much more enjoyable, and it's not something you can do with a Touch.

Now before you say anything rash, do remember that at the end of my last post I made a point of evaluating the Touch for what it is, which is one heck of a media player, but not really a media center. I also pointed out that it wasn't really Apple's fault, but more that flash technology just hasn't advanced enough where lots of storage is affordable. My original point, however, remains that there are valid reasons to want lots of storage, and I think you've continued to overlook those reasons here.

Yeah, I have 86GB of space used on my iTunes server for 192kbps AAC files, and I'm up to the letter "C" in the alphabet on my CD collection. Yes, I do want to take it all around with me. 160Gb is great c/w the 4Gb we started with. I guess with two of the new classics I could have a RAII (Redundant array of inexpensive iPods)...
  • Reply 88 of 119
    Quote:

It surely seemed like it did, perhaps I, just like you misinterpreted what you read. Often happens on forums or on the internet in general. As for my number of posts, this is not the only forum on the internet if you would like to see my activity on other forums by all means PM me for details.

Quote:

I assure you that you will not go blind on the iPhone's, which is a screen I would personally really enjoy watching videos on.

No "going blind" was what I call an exaggeration, I certainly did not mean you would actually (however future test might prove me wrong). But siting using my iPhone the other day for video I did get a headache after 1 hr of watching video and surfing the net (I was using my own, not just sampling a friends btw)

If you personally really enjoy watching video on a 3.5" screen, good for you, but personally I really don't enjoy watching anything on a screen smaller than 30", and only do it out of necessity.

Quote:

I have 7GBs of music, which is the very very low end among my friends.

Excellent, but I would still say you are on the high end of most people (I guess your friends even more so), but even so with 7GBs of music would your really need something larger than 16GB's

Quote:

Plus, there is something to be said about carrying around your entire CD library and using the thing as a media center, not just a player (see my previous post), and this is where the Touch falls short. Just because you use your device as more of a player and less as a media center doesn't mean those other uses aren't valid ones.

Right and as you pointed out the Touch is a really great player, so who do you think they are marketing it for. My point is that most people do not need all that memory (for those pack-rats [gasp] that do they make the classic) and I hardly think the analogy of the 16GB (or 8GB even) being like having a porsche with only a 1 gallon gas tank is a valid one.

Yes in a perfect world we would have a 80 or even 160GB iPod touch, but unfortunately we dont, so lets stop all the whining 16GB or 8gb even is fine if well managed for most people.
  • Reply 89 of 119
    Quote:

It surely seemed like it did, perhaps I, just like you misinterpreted what you read. Often happens on forums or on the internet in general. As for my number of posts, this is not the only forum on the internet if you would like to see my activity on other forums by all means PM me for details.

I think we've gone beyond any useful discussion on this. My point was that you were once again go for an ad hominem rather than debating.

[qupte]No "going blind" was what I call an exaggeration, I certainly did not mean you would actually (however future test might prove me wrong). But siting using my iPhone the other day for video I did get a headache after 1 hr of watching video and surfing the net (I was using my own, not just sampling a friends btw)[/quote]

I was joking. I guess it was, like you say, lost on the internet. As for your headache...I'm no doctor, but you may want to have your eyes checked if you're getting lots of headaches with it. Seriously, that can be a symptom of being farsighted.

Quote:

If you personally really enjoy watching video on a 3.5" screen, good for you, but personally I really don't enjoy watching anything on a screen smaller than 30", and only do it out of necessity.

Again, I'm looking at it from a mobile perspective, you're looking at it from a home entertainment perspective. I really enjoy it as a mobile viewing platform. I think it's the perfect size for that use. Of course I'd rather be at home watching my 40" LCD, who wouldn't? But on buses, planes, in bed (I don't have a TV in my bedroom), it's great.

Quote:

Excellent, but I would still say you are on the high end of most people (I guess your friends even more so), but even so with 7GBs of music would your really need something larger than 16GB's

I'd like to see some statistics on this before we blindly assume that 7gb is at the high end. Don't ask me to find them, you're the one who's claiming it so you have to back it up with a warrant, not me. There's debate for you. Also, yes, I do need something larger to carry my video collection around so I can a) watch it on that nice screen and b) play it on larger screens.

Quote:

Right and as you pointed out the Touch is a really great player, so who do you think they are marketing it for. My point is that most people do not need all that memory (for those pack-rats [gasp] that do they make the classic) and I hardly think the analogy of the 16GB (or 8GB even) being like having a porsche with only a 1 gallon gas tank is a valid one.

Yes in a perfect world we would have a 80 or even 160GB iPod touch, but unfortunately we dont, so lets stop all the whining 16GB or 8gb even is fine if well managed for most people.

Again, you need to understand where these people are coming from. There are very valid uses for large hard drives, and just because someone can use more than 16 gigs doesn't make them a packrat. People like music, people have lots of music, people want to take it with them. Again, the media center vs. player thing that you have yet to respond to. On your last point, I agree that it's a bad analogy and people shouldn't complain, but not because there's no reason to have lots of space.
  • Reply 90 of 119
    Quote:

Again, the media center vs. player thing that you have yet to respond to. On your last point, I agree that it's a bad analogy and people shouldn't complain, but not because there's no reason to have lots of space.

Yet to respond to? What didnt I respond to? If you really need me to wax intellectually on the subject. Some use it for this some dont, those who do have to settle for the iPod classic. I personally do use my iPod as a media center (if you want to call it that) for music. As for video, iTunes video sucks on full size TVs until they get HD, I wouldn't bother. Not to mention with all the different formats that cant be played on or through iPods, my MBP makes a much better media center, and honestly I cant think of a situation I would be using my iPod in that capacity that I wouldn't or couldn't bring my MBP. An iPod no matter what size is fairly limited in this role.

Now back to the subject at hand, the bad anaolgy was what I was attacking, to find the touch iPod basically useless (which a porche with a 1 gallon gas tank would be) because it only has 8 or 16GB is a joke. Again my point isnt that there's no reason to have lots of space, just that most don't need lots of space, and that with 8/16GB the iPod touch is still very useful.

If you look since the introduction of the iPod mini (and G1 Nano after that), the 2g and 4g little iPods have been the best sellers (now yes it has alot to do with price and size) but it just goes to show most people don't need to be pack-rats and carry every bit of music they have around with them (and then some).
  • Reply 91 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm a little perturbed that you can't add calendar items with iPod touch. To me that's a deal breaker. I'd buy it sooner than later if it had this functionality and ditch my Palm.

Seconded! I cannot believe Apple spent time and money to purposely cripple the Calendar feature in the Touch.

I'm going to wait until Apple or third party devs fix the calendar and add a real mail app to the Touch before I buy it.
  • Reply 92 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Post

Seconded! I cannot believe Apple spent time and money to purposely cripple the Calendar feature in the Touch.

I'm going to wait until Apple or third party devs fix the calendar and add a real mail app to the Touch before I buy it.

So nice to see people making my points for me... there's power in numbers, and from what I have read all over the internet, I can assure you it's not just the three of us.
  • Reply 93 of 119
    I agree with everyone complaining about the lack of functionality. To those who basically say "stop moaning it's meant to be just an ipod", well, that's an awesome piece of hardware+OS for just playing media, and why include Safari?

There is no doubt that the touch is destined to become a fully-fledged PDA. I just wonder how many iterations Apple will need to go through to get it right. The sad thing is, they could do most of it now, but are deliberately crippling the device to try to create some kind of artificial differentiation from their other products. Regardless of their motivation, it just strikes me as sleazy. The trouble is, every day Apple fumbles with this they are giving their competitors time to develop rival products, which I have no doubt are already on their way. But then again Apple has OSX, and maybe feels that they are in an unreachable position, being able to offer tight integration across its product lines.

I, like many others will not be buying the first version of this product. My girlfriend was very excited about getting one of these until she found out about its software limitations. She'll be keeping her money too. A non-functional calendar on a mobile device? Steve, you've got to be joking...
  • Reply 94 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by system6 View Post

I agree with everyone complaining about the lack of functionality. To those who basically say "stop moaning it's meant to be just an ipod", well, that's an awesome piece of hardware+OS for just playing media, and why include Safari?

Well because of the iTunes music store, and they think they are reinventing the music player.

JMHO, but I don't think they will ever make an iPod that is basically a PDA, simply because 1) Thats what they are doing (or basically have done) with the iPhone 2) PDAs that do not included phones are dated, even look at palms line, they are almost solely focusing on the TREO now, and its its best seller by far.
  • Reply 95 of 119
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

WOW NO FLASH? I thought APPLE are for designers. I am not buying this then.. I just saved myself $160 cause looks like I'll get the Apple nano 4GB instead. YEA YEA!!!!!!!

Splurge and get the 8GB. I REALLY wish that they were 16GB!!!
  • Reply 96 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

So nice to see people making my points for me... there's power in numbers, and from what I have read all over the internet, I can assure you it's not just the three of us.

But people are always posting about what ________ (insert co. name) didnt include in the lastest (or first) version of ________ (insert product). Truth be told no product will ever be perfect, and you'll always be waiting for some other feature they haven't included yet. So by next year or so when gen 2 touch is released, peoples excuses will be I'm going to wait till they add, iChat, or GPS, or something else.
  • Reply 97 of 119
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

............Yes in a perfect world we would have a 80 or even 160GB iPod touch, but unfortunately we dont, so lets stop all the whining 16GB or 8gb even is fine if well managed for most people.

Potterhead4's very civil, rational thoughts on why he would want more storage in the Touch is the furthest thing from "whining" I can imagine.
  • Reply 98 of 119
    why does everyone argue like little children. the end result of the ipod touch is as follows: needs more memory, but the extra memory could be lived without seeing as you get so many other features. some can't deal with the minimal memory so just get a ipod classic. that about sums it up. stop arguing.
  • Reply 99 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

why does everyone argue like little children. the end result of the ipod touch is as follows: needs more memory, but the extra memory could be lived without seeing as you get so many other features. some can't deal with the minimal memory so just get a ipod classic. that about sums it up. stop arguing.

I think that's what I've been saying, but I don't think childish describes my form of argumentation.
  • Reply 100 of 119
    Quote:

But people are always posting about what ________ (insert co. name) didnt include in the lastest (or first) version of ________ (insert product). Truth be told no product will ever be perfect, and you'll always be waiting for some other feature they haven't included yet. So by next year or so when gen 2 touch is released, peoples excuses will be I'm going to wait till they add, iChat, or GPS, or something else.

This would be true, except for the fact that I've been a Mac user for a number of years now, which means that I have always eventually made purchases of Apple products - always after waiting for the machine to have the features I think are appropriate to wait for. With the Powerbook G4, I waited for the audio input and heat issue to be solved (I decided to buy despite the paint-chipping issue, which was a problem I overlooked on my machine). With the Macbook Pro I currently own, I waited for LED-backlighting and dedicated graphics processor.

With the iPod Touch, I'm waiting for Calendar functions. This time, rather than waiting for a technological advance, I'm waiting for the re-activation of an already existing piece of software.

Having said that, I'll continue to mention my hope that they include iSight capability (camera, mic and speakers) and 32 GB storage capacity in the Touch, but neither will prevent my buying the first iteration that includes iCal. I'll be glad if anyone wants to hold me to account for this (i.e., I plan to put my money where my mouth is.)