Apple preps third iPhone software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    My iPhone's model number says MA712. The iPhone on the webpage shows MA712LL. Is there a difference? Is anybody else's iPhone model number MA712LL?
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Apple will be releasing updates for the iPhone every month for years. Though nice find on the firmware.

http://answers.nobosh.com
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Is the model number also different? There is an extra LL.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Funny nobody here has even mentioned the *massive* iPhone unlocking going around the world right now. As much as there will be new features, this iPhone update will probably try and lockout the unlocks done so far. Though the hacker community will crack that soon.

By the end of the year Apple may have no choice but to release full 3G worldwide GSM-quadband unlocked. They're probably gearing up right now for the ton of lawsuits from AT&T.

AT&T: PWNED.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Anyone here have a problem joining Wi-Fi hotspots on their iPhone when a specific hotspot requires users to agree to a set of terms via a Safari web page before gaining access? Only to have Safari fail to display the agreement page?

Best,

K

Once in a blue moon on my MacBook. I hate those web pages at hotpots. Makes it an annoyspot. Particularly after I've actually bought my drink and I went there just to check some important email. Haven't tested with iPhone yet though.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with you. But time for Mr. K to hire a copy editor -- AI is getting influential, whether it means to or not.

I am sure there are kids with such skills who'd love to intern at a place like AI.

Agreed. AI, I would say is second only to MacRumors.com... You can't be the second best and still have spelling and grammar errors at a rate of nearly one per article (or at the very least, one a day -- sometimes even in the title).

Seriously, if you were to give me moderator status, I'd make changes for free. I refresh AI usually once an hour so I'd be pretty diligent. I'd do it for free, even.

-Clive
  • Reply 27 of 60
    for me it's when searching Maps, there should be an option to add your find to the Contacts.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Cut and Paste
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

for me it's when searching Maps, there should be an option to add your find to the Contacts.

That option already exists.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    It's OS X. Apple's OS for portable devices is OS X. Apple attributes Mac OS X in relation to its computers. Portable devices run OS X. They are of the same family, but with different abilities
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeState View Post

That option already exists.

Really? You can save the google map search to an existing contact?

I guess I haven't seen that feature. I'll have to look harder.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Don't count your chickens before they hatch guys/gals. You might be setting yourselves up for disappointment. As much as I'd love to see copy/paste, iChat, and mobile to mobile picture sending because those are the 3 I'm wishing for......

....I really don't think it's going to happen. Stevie is looking for more money. You've now got ringtones. Soon he'll be able to take your lunch money on the run with the new iTunes Music Store icon. Where is he profiting from giving us something WE want? And now some of you are shaking your heads saying "Hey idiot, I wanted that iTunes Music Store", good for you and others did too. BUT, most people didn't really care either way. For me it'll be nice to see something new on the screen and fill up the wasted space on the home screen, but nothing more. But who knows. Perhaps Apple will surprise me, but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    I hope you guys are telling Apple what they should include in future updates. http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  • Reply 34 of 60
    there are several persons offering to unlock your phone so it may be used on any network.... here is my question, who might these people be? and what kind of history do they have with hacking different tech products? many of those unlocking the phone and charging for it do not gurantee the hack in the event of an update.. some i have heard are up to $100. so here is my question. has anyone given the thought to the fact that it may be apple who is running some of these unlock sites? $100 to unlock it, no gurantee it will stick after an update, and a $100 rebate from apple? easy way to get an extra few bucks in the bottom line eh? just my 2 cents
  • Reply 35 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greyst1crash View Post

All I can say is MMS pictures right on my phone. It should display just like it does in iChat when someone sends a picture. Enough of this 'go to a webpage' bullcrap. And I want to be able send pictures to someone's phone instead of to their email. Apple better start rolling out some decent updates for iPhone users. I love my iPhone, but I'm getting annoyed that I don't have some of the basic functions that a regular cell phone does. Anybody agree?

Actually I strongly disagree, you purchased the machine with a set of features, if they didn't do what you needed done then why did you buy the iPhone. Your whining about issues that where well known on release day, seems like an issue of self control.

I looked long an hard at the iPhone (within a week of debuting) and determined right away that it didn't do everything I wanted the unit to do. Yo know what I didn't buy one. Now I've been following the threads on the net with great interest because the potential is there. But you know what if this release doesn't deliver everything I need I till won't be buying. It is called self control and wise investment of ones money. So I sit here a potential Apple customer , frankly a potential customer of anybody, waiting for the cell that makes me happy.

The good thing is that I keep myself informed. It is pretty obvious that what I want and need will be on the market soon. So I don't really feel bad about hanging back.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As an aside I do believe that Apple will continue to expand the functionality of the iPhone. The question is which direction will they go in and how will they expand support.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Hmm... ...They cleverly scrolled PAST the "Capacity" before snapping the screenshot

Now that put a little lead in the pencil, got the torpedo ready for waxing, caused the snake to take a peak....
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Don't count your chickens before they hatch guys/gals. You might be setting yourselves up for disappointment. As much as I'd love to see copy/paste, iChat, and mobile to mobile picture sending because those are the 3 I'm wishing for......

....I really don't think it's going to happen. Stevie is looking for more money. You've now got ringtones. Soon he'll be able to take your lunch money on the run with the new iTunes Music Store icon. Where is he profiting from giving us something WE want? And now some of you are shaking your heads saying "Hey idiot, I wanted that iTunes Music Store", good for you and others did too. BUT, most people didn't really care either way. For me it'll be nice to see something new on the screen and fill up the wasted space on the home screen, but nothing more. But who knows. Perhaps Apple will surprise me, but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

Steve has to continue to update the iPhone because the reality is that it is an unfinished device that can't effectively compete with many of the none music playing phones on the market. Apple did surprisingly well selling its first million phones but there are a huge number of us out there that need just a bit more in a cell phone / pocket computer.

Pocket computing is really why I would buy the iPhone. That is E-Mail and the WWW are more important to me than the music and cell phone. Well that and a lot of other computing tools. As soon as these firm up in an update and a few hardware issues are fixed this could very well be my cell phone replacement.

As to those tools Safari isn't to bad, it just needs to stabilize a bit more. E-Mail is a different thing though, that app needs to be more robust. As far as tools that aren't there yet, a File manager is a requirement, as is disk mode, better bluetooth access, an Apple supported terminal, better PIM tools, as everybody else has stated COPY AND PASTE, the ability to launch PDF's and various other file formats and have them come up in proper viewers.

Of all the features the one I see as most important is the file manager/browser. From there a bunch of things are possible. It will make the maintenance of your iPhone self contained. It should provide a much clearer view of what is in your storage space and make find stuff much easier. It would like wise be very helpful if Safari could browse the local file system, which at the minute I understand that it can't.

This doesn't even include the needs of the enterprise. This of course varies dramatically from business to business.

Nope as I see it they have to update the machine if they expect to continue to advance sales beyond the million that they have milked already.

Dave
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Really? You can save the google map search to an existing contact?

I guess I haven't seen that feature. I'll have to look harder.

When you tap on the blue arrow by the name on the map it brings up the name/address etc on the bottom of that is a save to contacts option. Tapping on any address in your contacts will pull it up in Google Maps.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually I strongly disagree, you purchased the machine with a set of features, if they didn't do what you needed done then why did you buy the iPhone. Your whining about issues that where well known on release day, seems like an issue of self control.

I looked long an hard at the iPhone (within a week of debuting) and determined right away that it didn't do everything I wanted the unit to do. Yo know what I didn't buy one. Now I've been following the threads on the net with great interest because the potential is there. But you know what if this release doesn't deliver everything I need I till won't be buying. It is called self control and wise investment of ones money. So I sit here a potential Apple customer , frankly a potential customer of anybody, waiting for the cell that makes me happy.

The good thing is that I keep myself informed. It is pretty obvious that what I want and need will be on the market soon. So I don't really feel bad about hanging back.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As an aside I do believe that Apple will continue to expand the functionality of the iPhone. The question is which direction will they go in and how will they expand support.

First of all, the guy is hardly whining, he's just stating his opinion of what he would like to see in the update, which mind you, is not at all unprecedented given the price of the device. Especially a couple of features usually taken for granted on nearly every cellphone on the market. But that's besides the point, what I take issue with is your narcissistic ranting and totally unwarranted hypocritical attack on this person. If you had even a SHRED of self-control you wouldn't be so bothered by something so insignificant and freak out on people.

Sounds like you haven't been laid in years. Lighten up a little....
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this month is expected to release a third software update for its iPhone that will add new features and improve overall stability of the handset's embedded Mac OS X operating system.

Among the feature additions expected in the release is support for the company's recently announce Wi-Fi iTunes Music Store, which lets iPhone and iPod touch users shop a mobile version of the iTunes Store over a Wi-Fi connection.

Attempting to access the Wi-Fi store from an iPhone with the current version of the handset's firmware (1.0.2) yields an dialog box instructing users to upgrade their phone's firmware.

"You need to update your device's software in order to access the iTunes Store," the dialog says. "Simply sync your device to your computer and click "Check for Update" and then click this iTunes Store link again from your device when syncing is complete."

Separately, Apple on its iPhone website has posted product imagery showing an iPhone running firmware version 1.1.1. It's unclear whether the version numbering shown is indicative of the forthcoming update or simply an arbitrary mockup.

One person who claims to be familiar with the upcoming iPhone update has said the software could arrive as early as Monday.

Being that most security-concerned enterprises have gone with WPA2 with certification, it seems to me that it wouldn't be hard to ask for user name and password...... Is it too much to ask? It would open a lot of college campuses to the use of the iPhone in Wi-Fi.