Apple Hardware Design Trends

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is moving in a new direction with their designs it seems.

It started with the iMac; a consumer product.

then it happened to the iPod series.

Consumer devices seem to be getting the aluminum treatment. Possible reasons for this are:

1) Value. aluminum is certainly a more valuable product than plastic.

2) reliability / durability. The problems plaguing Macbook discoloration would be totally eliminated with the use of metal.

3) Environmentalism. Aluminum is 100% recyclable. Plastic is much less so. This would be socially responsible.

4) Timing. It's time for something new. After many years of the white shiny look, Apple is taking the consumer lineup to another level.

Expect to see aluminum Macbook in the next refresh.

That brings us to the Pro series, of which we have seen no design changes.

The classic iPos style is aluminum in natural as well as colorized looks. The iPod touch however, has more of a serious look to it. It looks to be a dark colored anodized aluminum. The iPhone also may represent the future design direction ot the Pro series, although I have a feeling that the iMac will most closely mirror the iPhone design (I just hope apple stays away from the amateurish "bling" style o design).

If the consumer line does indeed go all aluminum (possibly with a mixture of shiny black elements), what will happen to the Pro series.

I can't imagine the Pro series being improved upon. The current designs are so clean and pleasing to look at, that it must be very difficult to come up with something better.

That said, what do you think would happen to the Pro line?

Black or dark gray aluminum?

I think Carbon Fiber would be a backwards step, personally. this was rumored a couple of years ago. and I don't know about the environmental impact of that material.

I love my Powerbook 17" and I would like to upgrade it to a MacBook Pro soon, but only if they either keep the same design or somehow truly find a way that improves on it.

Although it would be intriguing to see the Pro lineup change to a darker theme, I am not convinced that it would actually look that great.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I don't think they'll move the macbook to a metal design simply because it's meant for elementary school kids- a metal design would be dented like crazy in their hands...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Meant for elementary school kids? Where do you live? The best any student gets in our school district are some cheap left-over Dells with the occasional powerful computer thrown in for the HS to do Video Editing on. And then of course the Art department can also get fairly nice computers through grants once in a while. About every 5-10 years.

If every computer was replaced with a Macbook than I would be mad that so much money is going into computers - helpful but not needed.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I don't think they'll move the macbook to a metal design simply because it's meant for elementary school kids- a metal design would be dented like crazy in their hands...

yeah.. what are you talking about?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Grey or Black all metal design MacBook!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Apple is moving in a new direction with their designs it seems.

It started with the iMac; a consumer product....

3) Environmentalism. Aluminum is 100% recyclable. Plastic is much less so. This would be socially responsible....

What are your thoughts?

With Gore on the Board, the bad publicity from Greenpeace, and the simple fact that plastic is derived from petroleum, I bet all of Apple's major products reduce plastic content as much as possible whenever they are redesigned. It's a noble goal, and one that other companies hopefully take note off.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The only trend I can pick up on are thick black borders...and I don't get it. Coming to a Studio Display near you...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

The only trend I can pick up on are thick black borders...and I don't get it. Coming to a Studio Display near you...

Man, i hope not.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Aluminum is recyclable at a very high cost of energy.

I think the new iMac is less environment friendly to produce than the generation before.

So from an ecological kind of few propagating aluminum over plastic is mute.

Also the aluminum of the MacBook Pro is less durable than the plastic of the MacBook.

I've seen G4 powerbooks with totally eroded palm rests because of the toxic sweaty hands of it's owner.

Yes, I've seen the discolored palm rests on the MacBook once. But that's not the same as an aluminum surface that's looks like a CC of the moon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    The designs have become more static & unimpressive over the last 4 years. The current Mac computer line is hideous. And I only expect it to get worse. Get out while you can.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

I think the new iMac is less environment friendly to produce than the generation before.

Also the aluminum of the MacBook Pro is less durable than the plastic of the MacBook.

I've seen G4 powerbooks with totally eroded palm rests because of the toxic sweaty hands of it's owner.

Yes, I've seen the discolored palm rests on the MacBook once. But that's not the same as an aluminum surface that's looks like a CC of the moon

I saw those same pics on the net a couple years ago. It also was affecting about two PBs that I saw. Not really a design issue. It could have been a bad batch of aluminum.

My Powerbook shows zero issues. And I use it more than most folks. No one elses powerbook of MB Pro shows this issue either.

My Powerbook is also very durable. I accidentally dropped some scissors on it a month ago while my powerbook was on the floor and it did not leave a dent, scratch, or anything.

Alunium is also easliy recyclable - talk to the Coke can people. Plastic simply takes up space on the earth.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The designs have become more static & unimpressive over the last 4 years. The current Mac computer line is hideous. And I only expect it to get worse. Get out while you can.

Wow. Trip out.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

I disagree because if you decide not to recycle the aluminum then it has absolutely no further impact on the environment. The same is not necessarily true of some plastics.

I have a MacBook Pro and after more than a year the palm rests look fine. I must not have toxic sweat. \
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

I disagree because if you decide not to recycle the aluminum then it has absolutely no further impact on the environment. The same is not necessarily true of some plastics.

I have a MacBook Pro and after more than a year the palm rests look fine. I must not have toxic sweat. \

Me neither... But the argument for using aluminum in the iMac was that it's better recyclable (okay, and its cool looks). I agree it is easier to recycle than other metals. So you may argue my first remark.

But recycling isn't everything. Before you can recycle you have to produce first.

The production of aluminum emissions a lot of perfluorcarbons (PFCs), a greenhouse gas.

So that's why I said that the current generation iMac is less environment friendly to produce than the generation before.

Boiling up some plastics isn't as hazardous as making aluminum (okay, except for PVC, maybe).

I think it is more important to look at the so called total carbon footprint of the product

So I can't believe the former iMac is less environment friendly than the new iMac.

It's not a reason not to buy one. But presenting aluminum as a greener, more environment friendly material than plastic just because it is recyclable and some plastics are not doesn't make it a good material and al plastics bad.

If Apple said: "our iMacs are made from 100% recycled aluminum." I would consider it a lot more environment friendly than I do now. The only thing they say is that it's recyclable.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

To your tastes. I think it's refreshing - and it can be put in any space. The elegance of the designs is the sort of thing that will make them classics when busy-looking computers will look silly in just a few years.